Socrates RIP

Reggie Dunlop

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12027/7351928/Brazil-legend-Socrates-dies

Brazil legend Socrates dies

Former midfielder passes away at the age of 57

Former Brazil captain Socrates has passed away in a Sao Paulo hospital at the age of 57 after suffering an intestinal infection.

Socrates fell ill during a meal on Thursday and was taken to hospital with a suspected case of food poisoning, before being placed in intensive care after it was discovered he had suffered septic shock.

Despite the best efforts of medical staff, he was pronounced dead in the early hours of Sunday morning.

It was the third time in four months that Socrates, who leaves behind a wife and six sons, had been treated at an intensive care unit since alcohol abuse caused his stomach to haemorrhage in August.

A fantastic player, one of the very best.

I Can't say I'm surprised he had an early death when you consider he was a very heavy smoker & almost, if not quite, an alcoholic. However, it wasn't the fags, or booze that got him, although I suspect his body was pretty weakened by the abuse.

Rip