Every death on every road in Great Britain 1999-2010

trousers

This is a subject close to my heart. My sister was hit by a car on Burgess Road when she was 11. It led to permanent health problems which she still has to this day.

Also, one of the kids from my daughters' primary school actually died five years ago. Her death is on the map too.

You only really have to have a degree of personal experience to start asking the question "Is getting somewhere quickly all that?". As a couple of columnists recently noted after the M5 crash, if similar destruction to human life had been wrought on the railways, there would be a public uproar and potentially multiple public inquiries.

Rather appropriately, we seem to have developed a "blind spot" for motoring deaths. Problem is, absent a major change in the distance we travel to live/work/study/whatever, they'll just be seen as "the cost of doing business".

On the BBC website today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

This is both interesting and grim in equal measures.

Shocking at a national 'headline' level but actually very reassuring on a local level, for me at least with two young kids who want independence and to ride bikes on the road. In the village where I live, around 6,500 people, only one road death in 20 years, and that was an 81 year old man.

I think this is a bit tasteless actually. I put in my home postcode and saw the spot where my neighbour was hit by a car and killed in 2002, with the exact time and date it happened. I understand the concept behind promoting road safety and showing 'black spots', but I don't think this handles a very sensitive subject well at all. 2 people that I went to school with have been killed in separate incidents within the last 4 months near where I live, and to think they'll just be an orange spot on a map this time next year is sickening. These were people, not 'incidents'.

This is a subject close to my heart. My sister was hit by a car on Burgess Road when she was 11. It led to permanent health problems which she still has to this day.

Also, one of the kids from my daughters' primary school actually died five years ago. Her death is on the map too.

You only really have to have a degree of personal experience to start asking the question "Is getting somewhere quickly all that?". As a couple of columnists recently noted after the M5 crash, if similar destruction to human life had been wrought on the railways, there would be a public uproar and potentially multiple public inquiries.

Rather appropriately, we seem to have developed a "blind spot" for motoring deaths. Problem is, absent a major change in the distance we travel to live/work/study/whatever, they'll just be seen as "the cost of doing business".

Made me think as well. My brother was knocked down and killed in Radstock Road, Woolston in 2001. He is on the statistics map. Brought back sad memories

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/archive/2001/09/10/Hampshire+Archive/5615210.A_FAMILY_WRECKED_BY_DRINK_DRIVER/

Edited by Weston Saint

As the OP says, grim reading but interesting nonetheless. I often notice a rapid response ambulance volvo parked up in the layby near romsey golf course, handy for the M27, especially in bad weather. Always assumed it was because that was the most likely stretch of motorway to either have serious accidents or the stretch most likely to be needed for access to other black spot areas, this map pretty much confirms that.

I think this is a bit tasteless actually. I put in my home postcode and saw the spot where my neighbour was hit by a car and killed in 2002, with the exact time and date it happened. I understand the concept behind promoting road safety and showing 'black spots', but I don't think this handles a very sensitive subject well at all. 2 people that I went to school with have been killed in separate incidents within the last 4 months near where I live, and to think they'll just be an orange spot on a map this time next year is sickening. These were people, not 'incidents'.

I'm starting to think the same the more I think about this. Apologies if highlighting this frontpage BBC item in my OP has caused anoyone any distress. (Mods - please delete the thread if you feel appropriate. Thanks)

I'm starting to think the same the more I think about this. Apologies if highlighting this frontpage BBC item in my OP has caused anoyone any distress. (Mods - please delete the thread if you feel appropriate. Thanks)
No worries. It was not your thread that I saw first it was the BBC article on line.

As far as I'm concerned, you've highlighted an important issue.

Appreciate that SuperMikey has strong views about this, and I get where he's coming from. I am glad that we've seen his conviction on the subject. As he rightly points out, these aren't just "incidents" to people affected. Each orange dot represents at least one life disappearing forever and countless others that are forever negatively affected.

Weston Saint - thank you too for reminding us of this.

I'm very fortunate to have not been personally affected by any death on the road, although I was the second car on the scene of a serious one on the Marchwood bypass a few years ago, by the junction with Twiggs Lane, which is on the map. Suffice it to say I will never forget that night.

I think SuperMikey is right in that some details could be spared as they do not add anything to the impact of the map, but would make it slightly more sympathetic to those directly affected. However, I do think that it is only by putting things like this out there to highlight the scale of the problem, that we might actually start to get the message across to people who drive carelessly.

Don't apologise, it's not your fault! I actually saw the article on the BBC website and was about to start a thread on it myself when I saw you had already made one. I walk past the exact spot where my neighbour was killed every time I walk to the pub when i'm back home, but I think having the exact details of the 'incident' on one of the most visited websites in the world for anybody to gawp at is a little bit wrong imo. Can't imagine what it must be like for Weston - if I was to lose a brother like he did then I sure as hell wouldn't want the details of it out there like this either.

Edited by SuperMikey

I saw this at work on my lunch today, thought I would have a look at my local area. In 2004 a 17 year old was involved in a one car crash killing himself a 15 year old a 16 year old passenger and severely injuring another 17yo passenger. I don't know why but that really stopped me in my tracks reading that. Shocking :(

My thoughts to anybody who has lost anyone in such a sickening way.

Sorry, but this has been done to try and prevent more of what has caused you offence. If you were likely to be offended, then you really shouldn't have put your post code in. It shot a pretty strong message to me, as i'm sure it has many others. There will be one on there from Woodmill Lane of a yound lad, that happened right outside my old flat. I don't need to look at the date & time or wether it's there even, the memory of what happened will forver be a reminder as to just how easily we can take someone's life.

It's quite grim and depressing actually, but I guess it illustrates road safety points just by the sheer number( RIP in peace all those who have died from these tragic accidents ). Found the 12 year old boy who died in a crash at my school when I was there a few days back. That was a sad day, so upsetting to see people's reactions, even if I didn't personally know him, as I was a couple of years ahead.

Just goes to show how fragile and precious life is.