Who's Your Greatest Ever Football Player?

Dog

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo would run rings around any of the old school greats in my opinion. Best player I've seen in his pomp is Thierry Henry. I think people forget how ridiculously unplayable he was.

You obviously never watched Maradona in his prime then !

The things that guy could do with a football were quite breath taking.

You obviously never watched Maradona in his prime then !

The things that guy could do with a football were quite breath taking.

Was a bit before my time admittedly and was obviously a great player for his time but football moves on. Players are also now athletes with superior conditioning. Because of this the opposition is also stronger which is why I am confident if you took Maradona from 1986 and directly compared him to Messi as he is now, Messi would be the better player.

if you took Maradona from 1986 and directly compared him to Messi as he is now, Messi would be the better player.

Which is a ridiculous thing to do becuase if Maradona was raised in todays game he would have benefited from all the extra conditioning work and similarly Messi if he had been a pro in '86 would have learn't his trade in the back waters of Argentina rather than having all the advantages of a comfy life at Barcelona.