Apple Tv

Gemmel

I've had one since released. Jailbreaking it yourself is easy, certainly don't pay someone £50 for doing it!

If you have iPhones and iPads in the house (like I know you do!) then streaming music, video, photos etc by AirPlay is brilliant. Mirroring on iPad 2 opens it up a whole new level too. By jailbreaking you can have a browser, play all sorts if video formats, Last.FM and more.

Well worth £100.

I've had one since released. Jailbreaking it yourself is easy, certainly don't pay someone £50 for doing it!

If you have iPhones and iPads in the house (like I know you do!) then streaming music, video, photos etc by AirPlay is brilliant. Mirroring on iPad 2 opens it up a whole new level too. By jailbreaking you can have a browser, play all sorts if video formats, Last.FM and more.

Well worth £100.

Cheers Ess - If I get one, can you help me jailbreak it

absolutely love mine. have it jailbroken then install Plex. Plex is a software based video streaming app, that can connect to any other computer and stream the content, and the interface is lovely. I have a 2TB HDD connected to my ubuntu server at home which also acts as a Plex server that my apple tv2 reads from. And just being able to display videos/music from your iphone/ipad direct to tele is awesome.

Interesting... What control method have you got with this? Restricted to the remote, or can you kb/mouse it (assuming jb'ed of course)? I'm thinking a browser (for example) would be pretty pointless if you only had the remote to 'type' with

Edit: nvm, found the answer myself. No you can't. Can get a remote app that includes a virtual keyboard, which would probably be doable on an ipad, but on an iphone would be griefy. Shame.

Edited by stu0x

It works flawlessly on Apple TV.

As I said, have it on my xbox 1 and ipad too for on the go.

Always very up to date too. If you need any pointers let me know - there are plenty of guides on the internet on installing xbmc and then the icefilms add-on.

do you have to go through all the clicky nonsense and adverts and megaupload every time?

I am on a 39mb connection here anda plex server with a 2tb hdd, so i generally just download from usenet what I want...

An alternative that I've been running very satisfactorily for a couple of years: WDTV Live with a nice big Synology NAS, free and quick ripping software to 1080p MKVs from Blu-rays and standard res from DVDs; plus a load of net channels. Can be modded with alternative software, but can't be bothered as it does everything I need already. Works well and it's simple.

Without going into the comparisons between Apple TV and WDTV, the BIG killer reason to go for the Apple TV is: using Airplay to instantly stream music/ video/ photos from your iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad straight to your large TV (and anything on your device if you use the 'mirroring' feature).

Everything else is great with the Apple TV and I've rented more movies on it than I've ever rented by other means in the past, but Airplaying from your iOS devices blows every other device so far out of the water.

Without going into the comparisons between Apple TV and WDTV, the BIG killer reason to go for the Apple TV is: using Airplay to instantly stream music/ video/ photos from your iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad straight to your large TV (and anything on your device if you use the 'mirroring' feature).

Everything else is great with the Apple TV and I've rented more movies on it than I've ever rented by other means in the past, but Airplaying from your iOS devices blows every other device so far out of the water.

Also worth pointing out you can airplay from spotify, youtube, BBC iPlayer... I hate the phrase "game changer" but it really is...

That's easy. I've been able to stream movies from my HTC to any device on my network for the past 18 months. But it's old hat and, frankly, a bit pointless.

Oh, and the WDTV has already got Youtube, BBC Iplayer, spotify and all the rest of them built-in.

Edited by Pugwash

You cleverly pointed out that you can stream movies from your HTC to the WDTV. Cleverly, as in 'omitted to mention' the inability to stream other non-movie content in the same way that you can on iOS devices with AirPlay - for photos, music, many Apps, for mirroring your device's screen onto your TV screen etc.

You cleverly pointed out that you can stream movies from your HTC to the WDTV. Cleverly, as in 'omitted to mention' the inability to stream other non-movie content in the same way that you can on iOS devices with AirPlay - for photos, music, many Apps, for mirroring your device's screen onto your TV screen etc.

Actually it can stream photos and other non-movie content, including music, but as I have a media server setup it seems a bit pointless. So I just use my phone to do the remote controlling of it all instead. Yes, I can mirror apps to the TV as well, but after tinkering with it for a while and doing the 'wow' thing, I don't bother much any more. Apple does produce some nice looking and feeling kit and does an outstanding marketing job, but it's not always as cutting edge as they'd have you believe. Still, thanks for calling me clever :D.

Thinking about getting one that is fully jailbroken. Will plex work ok with it as my mac and and other devices had plex and I like it

Plex is a little flakey to be honest, it crashes quite a bit but has regular updates so worth checking for updates. Its still worth it, even with its bugs