Welcome to Portswood!!

miserableoldgit

lol at eric b

lived there for most of my life and whilst they're not all bad there's a hardcore of annoying ****s that **** the area up and make life a misery for the people that work there.

Personally i think they should build an out of town campus and let them ruin that instead.

My Nan was born in Gordon ave and brought up seven children there during the 40`s-60`s. She was happy until the mid to late 80`s when her life was made a utter misery by them mongs (our so called future) She sold up to an Indian Landlord in 89 and passed away 6 months after moving. She was fit and well until her entire life was turned on it`s Head.

I've recently been taking the medics students to and from their study placements at surgeries throughout Hampshire and Wiltshire. I took 5 to and from Whiteparish today, including the lad who wrote this and the charity show for the revue team which has just raised over £5k for charity through the shows. They are all nice decent kids - the medics tend to be a better class of students than the norm to be honest.

They talked about the video, but this was the first time I've seen it - quite impressed with the production!

I lived in Portswood when I was a student (Lodge Road, Alma Road, Cambridge Road) and although no one in our houses were ******head, loud idiots I can see just how the student population has ruined certain parts of town. Polygon has to be the worst though, I know someone who lives on Wilton Avenue who is desperate to move.

Quite enjoyed the song though, raised a few chuckles especially the bit outside Waitrose.

I notice that this is the highest rated comment:

I would like to recommend the Portswood Halal Meat Centre for all your king size Rizla needs.... or half a goat for £24.99... whichever you need at the time, really.

What could they be implying about this ethnic establishment?

As for the music, what a load of sh/t.

Edited by dune

They talked about the video, but this was the first time I've seen it - quite impressed with the production!

The production of it is good, it's just the noise and the pictures and those stupid hand movements that I find annoying. I'm not into black peoples music tbh.

Edited by dune

I quite liked it.

They obviously don't know their S'fampton very well if they lump Jesters in with Portswood. It's Beavwah Valley, innit?

As a Flower Roads nipper, I do have some sympathy for people concerned with the changes wrought by students pitching up, but not much. Over the last 30 years I've seen the Uni encroach on the estate, with more and more places becoming part of the University. I can still remember Salisbury Road, etc.

Also, another major factor around the Flower Roads was the right-to-buy scheme. Loads of people promptly bought their houses, sold them onto landlords, who then rented them out to students. Goodbye community.

I've recently been taking the medics students to and from their study placements at surgeries throughout Hampshire and Wiltshire. I took 5 to and from Whiteparish today, including the lad who wrote this and the charity show for the revue team which has just raised over £5k for charity through the shows. They are all nice decent kids - the medics tend to be a better class of students than the norm to be honest.

Funny all the ones i've had contact with have been up themselves public school kids that think they're special. Really ****ing odious bunch of ****s to be honest who'd spend half their life in fancy dress screaming and shouting on a tuesday night.

Proper lol'd at the bit about falling down the stairs in Sobar. So true. :lol:

Those stairs are stupidly dangerous - especially when it's been raining :scared:

Most of the students at the Uni are decent people - having met quite a lot of them I can say that as opposed to maybe the likes of eric who dislike what the students represent (change in an area being the main reason) as opposed to the people themselves. Having said that, there are quite a few "odious c*nts" as he so aptly put it living near me near campus, I dislike the shrieky, yelpy fancy-dress students as much as everyone else!

Also, another major factor around the Flower Roads was the right-to-buy scheme. Loads of people promptly bought their houses, sold them onto landlords, who then rented them out to students. Goodbye community.

No bad thing imo. When I was 14 three flower estate meatheads who were about 18 chased and lobbed half bricks at me and and a school friend for wearing King Edwards uniform as we walked through the estate on the way to his house. "Snobby spud ******s" IIRC (I was living in the giddy height of luxury in Weston).

No bad thing imo. When I was 14 three flower estate meatheads who were about 18 chased and lobbed half bricks at me and and a school friend for wearing King Edwards uniform as we walked through the estate on the way to his house. "Snobby spud ******s" IIRC (I was living in the giddy height of luxury in Weston).

Well, sorta.

What ended up happening is many decent families moved out of the area. I still visit quite a bit. Most of the student places are now rented out to people on Housing Benefit at market rents, so not really a great deal if you compare it with people renting for reasonable rates in the late 70s.

I can well believe your story though :D

lived there for most of my life and whilst they're not all bad there's a hardcore of annoying ****s that **** the area up and make life a misery for the people that work there.

Personally i think they should build an out of town campus and let them ruin that instead.

I feel the vid is affectionate about Portswood, not saying its crap.

Do you feel the same way about all the other nationalities in the area?

Now I'm sure it wouldn't beyond the imagination of some of our posters to take the same tune and make us up a obscene little ditty by substituting Portsmouth for Portswood.

Writing the lyrics is easy, finding the images is easy , getting a good singer to lay down a good sound track is hard, making the video is easy...

Welcome to Portswood - by the Medics Revue 2011 - The Chronicles of Barmia; The Loin, The Itch and The Wardround.

Just down the road from the RSH, you come across one of the world's darkest, dingiest places. Let us take you on a musical journey through one of Southampton's finest districts.

The Medics' Revue exists to raise money for charity - and this year is no different. All proceeds from this year's show are to be split between The Cardiomyopathy Association - a leading cause of death in young people, and our local charity - The Soceity of St James - homelessness service. We are hoping to have raised in excess of £5000.

If you would like to know more about either of our charities

The Cardiomyopathy Association

http://www.cardiomyopathy.org/

The Society of St James

http://www.ssj.org.uk/

Finally, this video was created in jest, and if it has caused any offence to Portswood residents then I apologise, as that was never the intention. For all it's quirks, we really do love Portswood.

It was great , thanks, 30 years ago I had a bed sit in Westwood rd and we went down jester sand watched/ sang along to Derek. The pub was so full the floor dropped 4 inches and we nearly all fell in to the night club below. We also went to the junction and watched bands. I remember having so many we had to crawl over the railway bridge. Waitrose was fine fare?