How many injuries can we take?

Arizona

Assuming the senior players left our today (Rasiak, Euell and Skacel) leave, how many injuries could this squad take and still be able to put out a side with half a chance of getting a result?

Say Perry, Killer, Schneiderlin, Holmes and DMG got injured. What would our starting 11 look like then?

Realistically, assuming those players (and possibly John) did leave I any more than 5 injuries at any given time and we'd really be scraping the barrel.

Assuming the senior players left our today (Rasiak, Euell and Skacel) leave, how many injuries could this squad take and still be able to put out a side with half a chance of getting a result?

Say Perry, Killer, Schneiderlin, Holmes and DMG got injured. What would our starting 11 look like then?

Realistically, assuming those players (and possibly John) did leave I any more than 5 injuries at any given time and we'd really be scraping the barrel.

I posted this on a separate thread yesterday and got a load of abuse

With Saga gone and indications that Rasiak, Skacel and Davis may follow , will we really be struggling if we have a couple of injuries or suspensions.

With Michael Svensson , apparently, only playing Saturday games are we going to be spread to thinly especially at the back or will Wotton fill in as and when until Davies is fit because i am not convinced by Thomas's abilities.

I am looking forward to the season but concerned that unless we can field our best 11 we may struggle

To many people on here think the game is easy and that we can draft in any youngster , just because they can do a MR WU , the problem is the nasty opposition do not allow you to play you have to earn the right

I fully understand where you are coming from and agree that at this moment in time it doesn't look good. However, .............

If all those do go we would have got rid of a heck of a lot in wages, so hopefully JP might then be able to bring in a couple of players (full backs?) on loan?

And talking of loan players, even when the transfer window is closed we are still able to bring in 'emergency loans' should the situation become to dire.

And, of course, the flip side is what JP said at the fan's forum: that the senior players on high wages are being left out at present because the club is hoping to unload them. BUT, they are all still training and any still here after the window closes will be fully utilised if he feels it is best for the team.

Personally I hope that Rudi doesn't find another home in the next few weeks and that we see him in an attacking role for us next month. But I have a feeling that he and Rasiak will go, probably on August 29th. I doubt that Kelvin will go (which I think will be good, and he did seem to have a good game today). Nor do I think that Euell or Stern will go, although I don't think we will miss the former even if did.

But, having said all that, I am very concerned about the full back positions for the games where Drew and James will not feature, and there will be a few of those!

Could be worse than this though, Arizona only asumes 5 injuries. Suppose it was 8, or 11, what then, eh? Suppose the team coach was in an accident and the whole squad were injured...... What if we had no over-the-hill, overpaid, journeymen to call on and we had to draft in reserve or youth players and had to go out for loans.....doesn't bear thinking about.......

Could be worse than this though, Arizona only asumes 5 injuries. Suppose it was 8, or 11, what then, eh? Suppose the team coach was in an accident and the whole squad were injured...... What if we had no over-the-hill, overpaid, journeymen to call on and we had to draft in reserve or youth players and had to go out for loans.....doesn't bear thinking about.......

another person who thinks the game is easy

If Andrew Davies and Svennson are injured at the same time we are stuffed.

Would have lost by several yesterday without Killer having a great game (and Kelvin.)

Thomas and Perry isn't a terrible centre back pairing, a lot better than the majority of pairings we used last year.

You take the p*ss, but it is a valid question IMO.

Bar Davies, that was our strongest 11 yesterday. You can't just ignore the fact that there will come a time this season when at least 4 or 5 of them are injured. It is highly likely there will be more than that at some point. Last season we had 6 defenders injured. At the end of the 03/04 season we had 13 first team players out. In about November of the relegation season we had pretty much our entire first 11 in the treatment room. If that happens this season were going to end up with half the under 16s in our squad.

If you think loans are a suitable answer, you either didn't watch last season or think that using 18 different defenders over a season had nothing to do with having one of the worst defences in England.

Overpaid, over the hill journeymen... I guess you pretty much believe everything you read on the OS.

You take the p*ss, but it is a valid question IMO.

Bar Davies, that was our strongest 11 yesterday. You can't just ignore the fact that there will come a time this season when at least 4 or 5 of them are injured. It is highly likely there will be more than that at some point. Last season we had 6 defenders injured. At the end of the 03/04 season we had 13 first team players out. In about November of the relegation season we had pretty much our entire first 11 in the treatment room. If that happens this season were going to end up with half the under 16s in our squad.

If you think loans are a suitable answer, you either didn't watch last season or think that using 18 different defenders over a season had nothing to do with having one of the worst defences in England.

Overpaid, over the hill journeymen... I guess you pretty much believe everything you read on the OS.

Yep , all perfectly fair comment .

The squad's been pared down to the bone and we're on a knife-edge between (maybe) having a competitive team or being desperately short if we have too many out simultaneously .

Yes I know we have no money and we have to live within our means...etc but that doesn't change the footballing facts of life - you need at least two decent players for each position . We're relying on luck to get us through this season , and lets face it SFC's never been a lucky club has it ?

I believe the CCC league table last year.

We were where we were last season because of Burley's neglect for the defence, having 3 different managers and because we let two of our best players out on loan whilst already hovering not far above the drop zone.

You also forget that we had all bar 4 of our current squad available last season. 3 different managers decided that they weren't good enough. All of them thought we were better off having Wright at Rb ahead of James, Safri instead of Gillett, Viafara ahead of Lallana, Saganowski, even Pericard, ahead of DMG etc.

Saying last season's squad wasn't good enough is a fair enough statement, but we haven't replaced most of them and that leaves us short of quality and too a much greater extent depth and experience.

If someone were to ask me now who Saints best player was, assuming Rasiak, Skacel and John leave, I'd really be stumped. Killer's fitness remains to be proven, as with Davies. I guess that leaves the midfielder filling in at LB as winner by default.

We were where we were last season because of Burley's neglect for the defence, having 3 different managers and because we let two of our best players out on loan whilst already hovering not far above the drop zone.

You also forget that we had all bar 4 of our current squad available last season. 3 different managers decided that they weren't good enough. All of them thought we were better off having Wright at Rb ahead of James, Safri instead of Gillett, Viafara ahead of Lallana, Saganowski, even Pericard, ahead of DMG etc.

Saying last season's squad wasn't good enough is a fair enough statement, but we haven't replaced most of them and that leaves us short of quality and too a much greater extent depth and experience.

If someone were to ask me now who Saints best player was, assuming Rasiak, Skacel and John leave, I'd really be stumped. Killer's fitness remains to be proven, as with Davies. I guess that leaves the midfielder filling in at LB as winner by default.

I agree we dont have enough strength in depth, lack cutting edge and are playing a team /system forced on us by neccessity. That makes the fact that I think we will do better than last year - staying up by one goal on the last day of the season - all the greater indictment of last years players.

Lets not overlook the fact that no-one has been beating a path to our door for Rasiak, Saganowski or the others. What little interest there has been has been deterred by their high wage costs. So overpaid? yes.

Edited by buctootim

I agree we dont have enough strength in depth, lack cutting edge and are playing a team /system forced on us by neccessity. That makes the fact that I think we will do better than last year - staying up by one goal on the last day of the season - all the greater indictment of last years players.

Lets not overlook the fact that no-one has been beating a path to our door for Rasiak, Saganowski or the others. What little interest there has been has been deterred by their high wage costs. So overpaid? yes.

I've never disputed that. However I also don't think anyone can honnestly say the players left are better, regardless of their pay.

Rasiak, John and Saga are all capable of 20 a season in this league. DMG... I'll wait and see, but wont hold my breath.