Boris for PM ?

alpine_saint

Would this be the same Boris Johnson who had to be lectured by his own staff to bother turning up as Mayor occasionally and getting involved in decisions rather than mooning about wasted chances to make it big on the national stage?

As Londoners know too well, he's a voluble waste of space whose only good idea (actually not his) is the Boris bike.

Would this be the same Boris Johnson who had to be lectured by his own staff to bother turning up as Mayor occasionally and getting involved in decisions rather than mooning about wasted chances to make it big on the national stage?

As Londoners know too well, he's a voluble waste of space whose only good idea (actually not his) is the Boris bike.

You would say that. I would love boris for pm. He is the sort of bloke that has universal appeal.

You would say that. I would love boris for pm. He is the sort of bloke that has universal appeal.

He's the 'sort of bloke' who appeals to the ludicrously over-represented forelock-tugging wannabe Tory grandees on this site, but 'universal appeal' is laughable.

^ less of the sarc turks, some of us work for a living. I havent had a full day off in the last five weeks. I even had to drag down to the skate ferryport yesterday ffs, then soton gate 10 today. Barely managed to hear the last ten minutes of the game on solent on the way home, then as soon as I walked through the door the wife started bleating about putting the f*cking christmas lights up. ffs.

I do apologise. I would like to see Mark Reckless leading the Party. Apart from having a stupid name, he has a real talent to lead the Party where it deserves to go.

Wasn't that the chap who got hammered and missed an important vote in the commons, or something like that.

I still suspect you are not being entirely serious!!

Thanks for posting that dubai_phil. Amusing stuff from Boris as always, and more on the money than many other analyses of Anglo-French relations.

I wonder if anyone has said "Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time!" :)

^ less of the sarc turks, some of us work for a living. I havent had a full day off in the last five weeks. I even had to drag down to the skate ferryport yesterday ffs, then soton gate 10 today. Barely managed to hear the last ten minutes of the game on solent on the way home, then as soon as I walked through the door the wife started bleating about putting the f*cking christmas lights up. ffs.

BUt you do post about football on a football forum from time to time. Strange that neither of those did, yet are on a football forum talking about politics after arguably our biggest game of the season.

Hope the christmas lights look good. :lol:

A very funny, eloquent and insightful piece from Boris there, so thank you DP.

Sometimes Boris is spot on with the things he says, but at other times it's as though he is from another planet (and to be honest given his background and upbringing he is from another planet to the majority of us in this country e.g. his £250,000 chicken feed for Sunday morning diary writing!!!).

A good commentator, fine for the odd funny quote (not so good for his many foot in mouth moments), extremely intelligent, but not at all convinced he should be in charge of the London and definitely not up for leading the country!!!!

• 7 months later...

Boris for PM stories all over the media at the moment:-

Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/03/long-shot-boris-johnson-going-gold

Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9449612/Is-Boris-Johnson-serious-When-it-comes-to-No-10-the-answer-is-deadly-so.html

Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/andrew-grice/andrew-grice-does-boris-want-to-be-the-pm-yes-and-his-team-is-already-trying-to-make-it-happen-8005960.html

The FT is also running something, but it's behind a paywall.

I think we can interpret this sudden rash of Boris for PM stories as a sign that Johnson's people are actually going for it.

I dunno Hypo, there's a comment on the Guardian piece listing all the dictators who started out as funny chaps. Long list, which does give me a little bit of pause. Apparently a lot less jolly when he does his mayoral question time too. There are large suspicions that the fella might be a wolf in the attire of a buffoon.

I dunno Hypo, there's a comment on the Guardian piece listing all the dictators who started out as funny chaps. Long list, which does give me a little bit of pause. Apparently a lot less jolly when he does his mayoral question time too. There are large suspicions that the fella might be a wolf in the attire of a buffoon.

jesus christ

:lol:

seriously ? the man does play the buffoon role to his advantage but i don't think we have to worry about him getting power hungry on us

IMO Boris possesses all the traits I believe would be perfect for PM. He would stand up for Britain in Europe and not be afraid to show patriotism and pride in our country. He has appeal beyond the normally stuffy politicians so would appeal to a younger generation who are all turned off politics. Additionally he is incredibly smart and I reckon would be well liked abroad as well. He reminds me of some of those great eccentric Englishmen you hear about from the past who weren't mocked but celebrated. If he were to run then I would definitely campaign for him.

Suppose it depends on whether you take people at face value or not.

Before the election, Cameron tried to portray himself as a compassionate tree-hugging cyclist. Post election reality a bit different, isn't it?

Before the election, Cameron tried to portray himself as a compassionate tree-hugging cyclist. Post election reality a bit different, isn't it?

I've always known what Boris is about. Politics is politics and you do have to have many faces to get ahead. As I said though, unlike other politicians Boris isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in. Like his stance on Europe, no other mainstream politician would dare to take a similar stance but he does and he has my admiration for that.

I've always known what Boris is about. Politics is politics and you do have to have many faces to get ahead. As I said though, unlike other politicians Boris isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in. Like his stance on Europe, no other mainstream politician would dare to take a similar stance but he does and he has my admiration for that.

He can take that stance now whilst he is Mayor of London. Just like Cameron could do a lot of talking prior to being PM.

He was right about Scousers.

Of course you wouldn't. Please don't patronise by suggesting that people would only vote for Boris because he is funny.

I'm not being patronising at all. Personality is a huge part in politics these days. You have to be likeable. Just look at how harshly Gordon Brown was treated.

I'm not being patronising at all. Personality is a huge part in politics these days. You have to be likeable. Just look at how harshly Gordon Brown was treated.

brown was treated harshly because he was a major factor in hundreds of thousands dead in the middle east, the very poor state the UK was in with no money in reserve and the facts he made goof after goof on personal levels to voters

Of course it is, but to suggest that Boris would get elected purely because he is funny is doing him and the British public a disservice.