USA - FoxSoccer.tv and Airplay

Watched the Pompey game live this morning streamed from Ipad to 46 inch TV using Airplay. Obviously resolution suffered a bit due to the larger screen but it was definitely watchable - probably comparable quality to FSP in Standard Def. at times. Having the sound routed through the home theater system was a definite plus though as was sitting on the sofa instead of in front of my PC.

For anyone thinking of trying it - I have noticed the on-demand stuff, highlights videos etc are of a lesser quality streamed than the live games - so make sure to try a live broadcast to see if it is acceptable.

Yeah, I signed up to foxsoccer.tv for a month and watched the game too. I was pleased enough with the quality of the steam. I borrowed a laptop from someone, hooked it up to my wireless internet, and then hooked that into my TV. It worked and I was happy to see the game. $10 is cheaper than going to the bar and getting two drinks so in the end it was a great deal overall.

The stream buffered a few times and the resolution dropped occasionally (one of the times was on Lambert's goal, of course) but considering my other options it was definitely a pleasing result overall.

I also tried streaming the radio feed from Saints Player while muting the Fox audio, but the radio feed was a solid 20 seconds ahead of the video so I couldn't handle that. Too bad because that would have been a lot of fun.

Thanks for the feedback, there will be a lot of expats intersted in this.

Can you tell me, regarding Prem games, are all available to stream or only a selected amount (as on the TV formats FSC, FSP)? If we get to the promised land this season, to be able to watch Saints each week, this is the way to go - would be cheaper than subscribing to the tv service.

Thanks for the feedback, there will be a lot of expats intersted in this.

Can you tell me, regarding Prem games, are all available to stream or only a selected amount (as on the TV formats FSC, FSP)? If we get to the promised land this season, to be able to watch Saints each week, this is the way to go - would be cheaper than subscribing to the tv service.

Most Prem games are available for streaming BUT if the game is being shown live on FSC then it cannot be streamed live - it is made available on delay from 11.59pm on the day of the game. I don't think the same restriction applies to games on FSP.

Foxsoccer.tv does work well. In the world of Internet streams you do get what you pay for (apart from the excellent, free ESPN3.com). The Totton & Pompey games were both well watchable and I'm glad I got to see them live. I'll probably cancel it now though until another biggie comes along.

If Saints do get promoted then I'll see what happens. At the moment most Saturday Prem games that ain't live on ESPN2, FSC or FSP seem to be shown with not too much of a delay (ie sometime later on the Sat). I can handle that. I'll get to see a lot of live Saints games and the rest with a bit of a delay - sounds pretty bleedin' good to me.

It's funny ain't it - I bet all us ex-pats want Saints to get promoted more now than we did when lived in Southampton and actually went to the games. I know I do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for the record...

I signed up to foxsoccer.tv for the $10 a month trial. Cancelled it for a while (dunno - bout 2 weeks) and then went to re-subscribe (for the Forest game). It let me do the $10 a month trial again. It will subscribe me for a year if I don't cancel it after a month - but this appears to be the only catch. It was as easy as click last time - no need to call them, cancel it with banks etc

I fully expected the $10 trial to be gone now - it wasn't. Cool.

--- RoswellSaint - did you sort out your PC to TV connectivity? Without knowing your equipment/available connections it is impossible to guide you specifically. All I’ll say is that it is pretty simple (some help that is I know…)

Put ‘how to connect a pc to a tv’ into Google and have a read-up on the umpteen sites that show up.

The gist of it is:

run a cable from PC to TV for the picture (may need another cable for sound – depends on your soundcard – if you have a home theatre you can run a cable from sound-out on your PC to aux-in on your HT).

select correct input on TV (like you probably have to do now to use your DVD player)

you may need to set up the display properties on your PC to recognize the TV as a second monitor (which is basically what your TV becomes).

You can then drag un-maximized windows from your PC monitor to your TV screen. You can then maximise them on the TV screen. Job done…

A wireless keyboard and mouse come in handy. You can then control your TV (which is now your PC) from the comfort of your sofa…

I’m sure it can all be done wirelessly with the correct equipment. I personally can’t do that with my TV so need a couple of cables.

Get stuck? - post up any specific questions and I’m sure someone can point you in the right direction…