Liam Lawrence - cowardly thug

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Breaking someone's nose is clearly ABH. The attack was unprovoked - an aggravating factor. The attack was a headbut - according to guidelines this is usually "worse" than a punch.

To give a caution is inexplicable.

I will be writing to the police and the local MP about this expressing my disgust. Meanwhile people get a year for shaking a fence or stealing a bottle of water. Utterly disgusting.

Those playing for the skates get special rights as they are from a deprived area and therefore are allowed to carry out assaults on the ususpecting public without fear of prosecution. However if you are a southampton player then you can expect the law to be trown at you. Lee barnard should get hold of lawrences lawyer for advice

Now, if this is the same night that me and my mates saw Liam Lawrence then i'm very surprised. Was in Cafe Parfait, last Saturday night and LL was in there with a few of his friends. They were at the bar when we were there and naturally we recognised him and gave him a bit of friendly stick. Gotta say, he took it all in good spirits and seemed like a top bloke. We were chatting to his group for a while at the bar and he even got a round of jagerbombs in (which rubbishes the claim he was nicking drinks). Had some very complimentary things to say about Southampton the team and the place. One of my mates also joked about him coming to us in january and to be honest, he didn't seem totally against the idea! From what he was saying, don't think he's overly happy at Pompey. Assuming it's the same night, this must have happened very late as we left the place at about half 2.

He certainly didn't strike me as a guy who was a thug or a thief and i'm very surprised to read this story. I'm in no way defending Lawrence's actions, but there are two sides to every story.

Now, if this is the same night that me and my mates saw Liam Lawrence then i'm very surprised. Was in Cafe Parfait, last Saturday night and LL was in there with a few of his friends. They were at the bar when we were there and naturally we recognised him and gave him a bit of friendly stick. Gotta say, he took it all in good spirits and seemed like a top bloke. We were chatting to his group for a while at the bar and he even got a round of jagerbombs in (which rubbishes the claim he was nicking drinks). Had some very complimentary things to say about Southampton the team and the place. One of my mates also joked about him coming to us in january and to be honest, he didn't seem totally against the idea! From what he was saying, don't think he's overly happy at Pompey. Assuming it's the same night, this must have happened very late as we left the place at about half 2.

He certainly didn't strike me as a guy who was a thug or a thief and i'm very surprised to read this story. I'm in no way defending Lawrence's actions, but there are two sides to every story.

It doesn't actually, but I agree with the general point of what you're saying.

he admitted it and was apparently suitable for a caution as is any other adult who has no criminal offences or little Police record. The nose was not broken therefore this is classed as a minor common assault.

Barnard issue is totally different. he has pleaded not guilty and a bottle has allegedly been used to strike someone...totally different offence.

Hope this helps.

he admitted it and was apparently suitable for a caution as is any other adult who has no criminal offences or little Police record. The nose was not broken therefore this is classed as a minor common assault.

Barnard issue is totally different. he has pleaded not guilty and a bottle has allegedly been used to strike someone...totally different offence.

Hope this helps.

He's already been done before HTH

Cautions are a quick win for the OB. The case is wrapped up on the night and no hassle with police/cps producing a file and going to court. Saves time and money. They are being used for offences however, that would have previously gone to court which means people are effectively getting a slap on the wrist for some quite serious offences.

They are useful in some circumstances but on the face of it a black eye, cut lip and broken nose does not seem an approppriate use of the caution.

The other problem is people are accepting cautions without understanding the implications. It gives you a criminal record as would any guilty appearance at court. Quite often the OB will offer a caution if they feel there is no likely prospect of a successful prosecution at court. It would be better for people, in certain cases, to refuse this and go to court.

The Magistrates Association have complained about the over use of the caution and the number dished out have gone through the roof. Justice on the cheap.

Cautions are a quick win for the OB. The case is wrapped up on the night and no hassle with police/cps producing a file and going to court. Saves time and money. They are being used for offences however, that would have previously gone to court which means people are effectively getting a slap on the wrist for some quite serious offences.

They are useful in some circumstances but on the face of it a black eye, cut lip and broken nose does not seem an approppriate use of the caution.

The other problem is people are accepting cautions without understanding the implications. It gives you a criminal record as would any guilty appearance at court. Quite often the OB will offer a caution if they feel there is no likely prospect of a successful prosecution at court. It would be better for people, in certain cases, to refuse this and go to court.

The Magistrates Association have complained about the over use of the caution and the number dished out have gone through the roof. Justice on the cheap.

All of which are fairly good points. But isn't it the responsibility of the prisoner's (sorry, 'detainee's'!) legal rep to properly advise them? As you mentioned, cautions are an entirely voluntary process, you have to admit the offence and show remorse (although the last bit is usually an exercise in soap-opera acting). if you don't want one, then you don't accept it and take your chances at court. Its not the job of the Police to advise you on whether to do so, in fact they are expressly prohibited from doing so. Its also not the Police's look-out if the average quality of custody representation has degenerated so far that anything beyond 'no comment' is beyond their expertise. Maybe if the profession hadn't been thoroughly pillaging and abusing the Legal Aid budget for so long the rules wouldn't have changed and it would be worthwhile sending anyone other than a complete vegetable to represent someone in custody.

And maybe if the Magistrates Association got their own house in order we could bin non-judicial disposals entirely and trust the courts to actually do their job competently, efficiently and effectively. Unfortunately they seem incapable of doing so, probably has something to do with their utter unwillingness to work more than 4 1/2 hours a day, embrace even 30-year-old technology, or give any consideration to continually disrupting the working lives of the very public they rely on.

Back on topic, there seems to be considerable debate over the level of injury in this matter, and a low-level ABH would certainly be ordinarily appropriate for a caution, so i wouldn't be too keen to rely on single-strand information in this matter, particularly when that strand is ****-poor 'journalism'.

Hoo-ray

someone with a grasp of what it is really like. !

All of which are fairly good points. But isn't it the responsibility of the prisoner's (sorry, 'detainee's'!) legal rep to properly advise them? As you mentioned, cautions are an entirely voluntary process, you have to admit the offence and show remorse (although the last bit is usually an exercise in soap-opera acting). if you don't want one, then you don't accept it and take your chances at court. Its not the job of the Police to advise you on whether to do so, in fact they are expressly prohibited from doing so. Its also not the Police's look-out if the average quality of custody representation has degenerated so far that anything beyond 'no comment' is beyond their expertise. Maybe if the profession hadn't been thoroughly pillaging and abusing the Legal Aid budget for so long the rules wouldn't have changed and it would be worthwhile sending anyone other than a complete vegetable to represent someone in custody.

And maybe if the Magistrates Association got their own house in order we could bin non-judicial disposals entirely and trust the courts to actually do their job competently, efficiently and effectively. Unfortunately they seem incapable of doing so, probably has something to do with their utter unwillingness to work more than 4 1/2 hours a day, embrace even 30-year-old technology, or give any consideration to continually disrupting the working lives of the very public they rely on.

Back on topic, there seems to be considerable debate over the level of injury in this matter, and a low-level ABH would certainly be ordinarily appropriate for a caution, so i wouldn't be too keen to rely on single-strand information in this matter, particularly when that strand is ****-poor 'journalism'.

• 2 weeks later...