Is it wrong...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

To read books about serial killers?

I read a book on holiday a couple of months ago called 'The Worlds Deadliest Serial Killers', which had short biographies on them and their misdeeds. My missus seemed to think that was really weird. Does having an interest in the macarbe show you to be a bit mentally unstable, or is it something that others have an interest in?

Nothing wrong with it at all... having an interest in them, what they did, and perhaps why they did it, doesn't also mean you might be looking for tips or want to emulate them. You just find it interesting. I haven't read any such books but I am interested in the mental state of such people and how they rationalised it in their own minds.

A mate of mine said if you begin a sentence with "Is it wrong..." then it probably is wrong.

Fear not, as in this case, I don't think it is. The human mind is naturally keen to come to terms with such aberrations.

Slightly different, but look at the interest in state-sponsored mass murder, especially Hitler. Few would term you wrong for having an interest in the ins and outs of why he did what he did.

A mate of mine said if you begin a sentence with "Is it wrong..." then it probably is wrong.

Fear not, as in this case, I don't think it is. The human mind is naturally keen to come to terms with such aberrations.

Slightly different, but look at the interest in state-sponsored mass murder, especially Hitler. Few would term you wrong for having an interest in the ins and outs of why he did what he did.

That's a bit of a turn up. I thought you'd say yes, as our resident bibliophobe.

Verbal can recommend a book explaining that.

No, but I did google it and found this:

"The common signs of it are profuse sweating, fear of dying, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, loneliness, dizziness, inability to think clearly, mouth dryness, and being aloof from the situation."

profuse sweating, fear of dying, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, loneliness, dizziness, inability to think clearly, mouth dryness, and being aloof from the situation."

verbal, why are you posting your diary on a football forum

No, but I did google it and found this:

"The common signs of it are profuse sweating, fear of dying, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, loneliness, dizziness, inability to think clearly, mouth dryness, and being aloof from the situation."

To clarify, Verbal googled "bibliophobia".

'It' is a very wide term. Thought I'd clarify.

To read books about serial killers?

I read a book on holiday a couple of months ago called 'The Worlds Deadliest Serial Killers', which had short biographies on them and their misdeeds. My missus seemed to think that was really weird. Does having an interest in the macarbe show you to be a bit mentally unstable, or is it something that others have an interest in?

On a purely ethical and moral basis, no it's not wrong. Serial/spree/etc killings and killers are extremely out of the ordinary, and therefore by definition interesting.

However, educationally and journalistically it is wrong, because any book titled 'World's best/worst/whateverest something' is invariably filled with abysmally researched factually incorrect nonsense. Its akin to watching one of those terrible talking head schedule-filling clip shows where they get d-list celebrities to pass 5 second commentary on some utter inanity. In essence, you have just read the efforts of the journalistic equivalent of Kate Thornton.

If you want to actually learn more about these people there are plenty of properly researched, primary evidenced case studies and biographies that are infinitely more engaging.

I'm with the OP, I love reading about serial killers, what they did, how they did it, and what their motive was (if they even had one) for doing what they did. Not just serial killers but any killers. Perhaps the most interesting (and shocking) thing I read was about a guy called Martin Bryant, who went on a spree kill in Tasmania in the 90's. Within mere seconds he'd killed 35 people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

It's not weird at all, as long as you don't re-enact anything! Perhaps if I realised I had an interest in this sort of thing earlier, I'd have tried harder at school and become a forensic scientist or something.

I'm with the OP, I love reading about serial killers, what they did, how they did it, and what their motive was (if they even had one) for doing what they did. Not just serial killers but any killers. Perhaps the most interesting (and shocking) thing I read was about a guy called Martin Bryant, who went on a spree kill in Tasmania in the 90's. Within mere seconds he'd killed 35 people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

It's not weird at all, as long as you don't re-enact anything! Perhaps if I realised I had an interest in this sort of thing earlier, I'd have tried harder at school and become a forensic scientist or something.

Holy ****, he sounds mental.