Alan Hansen - apologises for what, exactly?

1976_Child

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16301357.stm

Apparently he referred to black people as 'coloured' and now has had to apologise.

This is just ridiculous. Plenty of black/asian people refer to non-whites as 'coloured'.

There is no way at all that referring to a black person as 'coloured' is offensive. What next? A ban on describing them as 'black'?

F*** me. Pathetic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16301357.stm

Apparently he referred to black people as 'coloured' and now has had to apologise.

This is just ridiculous. Plenty of black/asian people refer to non-whites as 'coloured'.

There is no way at all that referring to a black person as 'coloured' is offensive. What next? A ban on describing them as 'black'?

F*** me. Pathetic.

Totally agree with you

Black person is the accepted term nowadays, because they are black... not coloured which is a bit vague. Are whites non-coloured then? And what does that entail... I think we should just call whites white and blacks black.

I agree, but my problem with it is the fact that he had to apologise for something that was clearly just a slip of the tongue rather than trying to be racist.

So where did the long accepted term 'colour' bar come from. It's about time these politically incorrect idiots were weeded out. Just treat everybody as people irrespective of colour. Racism exists across the globe and whites suffer as much as any in parts of the world. This was nonsense and Hansen has done nobody any favours by apologising

I agree, but my problem with it is the fact that he had to apologise for something that was clearly just a slip of the tongue rather than trying to be racist.

I agree. I don't believe he is racist, he's just using the terms of yesteryear. My grandparents would do the same, even though they don't think whites are superior in anyway. It's just old habits.

I agree. I don't believe he is racist, he's just using the terms of yesteryear. My grandparents would do the same, even though they don't think whites are superior in anyway. It's just old habits.

But the question people are asking is when and/or why it became 'wrong' to call someone who is non-White 'coloured'.

Black person is the accepted term nowadays, because they are black... not coloured which is a bit vague. Are whites non-coloured then? And what does that entail... I think we should just call whites white and blacks black.

But they're not, are they? More various shades of brown.

Just as I'm not white - more of a pinky, yellowy, light browny. Which sounds coloured. But not. If you get my drift.

Probably because you are then saying whites don't have colour (they do) and what does being coloured entail anyways? Aren't white people coloured as well? So, it's a dumb term for one.

It's also a colonial term that comes from the idea that white people are white and then everyone else is coloured, from the time when we were still extremely patronising to people of other colours. Can't we just call everyone the colour they are rather than saying whites are not coloured and everyone else is coloured. I wouldn't use it, I'd just say 'black' because that is factually correct.

I'm a fully paid up member of the liberal politically correct tree hugging elite and although I don't remember ever using the word, I think using "coloured" as a term to easily identify somebody is absolutely acceptable.I can't see why it shouldn't be. The most politically correct way of speaking has to be to use correct language. It isn't wrong to refer to somebody as coloured if they have a different colour of skin to those around them, it's a natural way to describe them. It also isn't politically incorrect to refer to someone as having brown skin if they have brown skin.

The only time it becomes politically incorrect is when it is used as an unnecessary discrimination in a situation where it has no bearing.

But they're not, are they? More various shades of brown.

Just as I'm not white - more of a pinky, yellowy, light browny. Which sounds coloured. But not. If you get my drift.

Well, yer, of course. We're all people at the end of it all anyways. And black people aren't actually black and whites not white. We all have a COLOUR of skin though, which is why calling black people coloured is stupid.

Are white people colourless then? No, they're not. They have a colour of skin like everyone else. Therefore, before you consider the connotation of the word and whether it is offensive, it's a dumb term.

it is an acceptable way to describe someone with a different shade of colour to the many......or should we just describe them as N****RS..?

if that is the case...and there is no difference or words to describe it...i assume the MOBO's, black police society etc etc will ALL immediately stop offending everyone...?

Open your eyes.

I have observed while out and about 'people watching' that only a small minority of our 'black' people are truly black skinned in reality, as they are mostly a shade of brown. For that matter so called 'white' people tend to be more pink/beige coloured. We once routinely referred to the Japanese as yellow, and that wasn't true either. So for accuracy sake perhaps we should ditch black & white and go with brown & pink instead.

Which all goes to show what a minefield - and a utter nonsense - this type of debate is.

Are white people colourless then? No, they're not.

Yes, scientifically 'white' is a colour (or rather a surface or structure that doesn't absorb any light) but your average human being tends to generalise things like 'colour' rather than psycho-analyse it.

To your 'average Joe' anything 'non-white' is a colour (whether we are talking about skin, walls, duvet covers or whatever.

There was never anything sinister when it was 'normal' to call non-white people coloured. It was all very innocent.

What changed an entirely innocent phrase into something derogatory?

Alf Garnett perhaps?

Open your eyes.

I have observed while out and about 'people watching' that only a small minority of our 'black' people are truly black skinned in reality, as they are mostly a shade of brown. For that matter so called 'white' people tend to be more pink/beige coloured. We once routinely referred to the Japanese as yellow, and that wasn't true either. So for accuracy sake perhaps we should ditch black & white and go with brown & pink instead.

Which all goes to show what a minefield - and a utter nonsense - this type of debate is.

Well, kinda my point... we are all COLOURED. So calling a group of people coloured is stupid.

Well, yer, of course. We're all people at the end of it all anyways. And black people aren't actually black and whites not white. We all have a COLOUR of skin though, which is why calling black people coloured is stupid.

More 'stupid' than calling people with brown skin "black"?

Yes, scientifically 'white' is a colour (or rather a surface or structure that doesn't absorb any light) but your average human being tends to generalise things like 'colour' rather than psycho-analyse it.

To your 'average Joe' anything 'non-white' is a colour (whether we are talking about skin, walls, duvet covers or whatever.

There was never anything sinister when it was 'normal' to call non-white people coloured. It was all very innocent.

What changed an entirely innocent phrase into something derogatory?

Alf Garnett perhaps?

Connotation and context. Word meanings change over time. Spastic used to be the accepted term, used by those with Cerebal Palsy, i.e the Spastics Society(now Scope)... but now it is a derogatory word because of the evolution of its meaning.

No young person would say coloured. They would say black. In the future, the term coloured won't be used at all. At the moment, it is only used by older generations.

young person...how dare you define a group like that...

and seriously, how the fuk would you know...you don't speak for everyone..

seeing as nearly all have brown skin...how do you know if said person would or would not find the word 'black' offensive...?

Well, kinda my point... we are all COLOURED. So calling a group of people coloured is stupid.

Yes, when it's analysed it is 'stupid' but that's my point....your average man in the street sees things in a much simpler fashion - they see something that is quite close to White and call it white and they see other things that are various shades of colour and call them....erm...coloured.

If human beings were to analyse every aspect of how current day language has evolved then language wouldn't evolve organically in the first place.

There must be thousands of words in the English language that, if you analysed them, wouldn't technically fit their usage, but that is the beauty of language....it's not always scientifically 'correct'.

seeing as nearly all have brown skin...how do you know if said person would or would not find the word 'black' offensive...?

And you don't speak for everyone either. But I do speak with a lot more 'young' people every day in a casual situation and over the years than you do. The only people I have ever heard you the term coloured are older people(i.e my grandparents do sometimes). The term will die out.

Every black person I know refers to themselves as black. Black is the normal term these days.

And you don't speak for everyone either. But I do speak with a lot more 'young' people every day in a casual situation and over the years than you do. The only people I have ever heard you the term coloured are older people(i.e my grandparents do sometimes). The term will die out.

Every black person I know refers to themselves as black. Black is the normal term these days.

see, I know coloured people that refer to themselves as coloured..

they must be wrong..I will tell them what 18 year olds think and hopefully they will change their ways

Yes, when it's analysed it is 'stupid' but that's my point....your average man in the street sees things in a much simpler fashion - they see something that is quite close to White and call it white and they see other things that are various shades of colour and call them....erm...coloured.

If human beings were to analyse every aspect of how current day language has evolved then language wouldn't evolve organically in the first place.

There must be thousands of words in the English language that, if you analysed them, wouldn't technically fit their usage, but that is the beauty of language....it's not always scientifically 'correct'.

Oh of course. It's the current context and connotation that matters. And the modern way is to say black because coloured is a bit patronising.

I agree with you delldays. Coloured is a perfectly acceptable term where I live.

see, I know coloured people that refer to themselves as coloured..

they must be wrong..I will tell them what 18 year olds think and hopefully they will change their ways

It's a generational thing. For example the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People in the US used the term coloured as it was preferable to the to other terms used at the time. In modern circles, the meaning of the term has evolved and my generation will refer to it as black. People my age do not use the word coloured ever.

No doubt you'll be having this same debate but in reverse when you're 40+ with the next generation.

"Dad! You can't use that outdated term "black" to refer to brown people!"

Some of you may have noticed that I have been working at some golf events the past couple of weeks.

As a result I have spent around 6 hours a day for 11 out of 12 days in the desert sun. This now makes me an extremely (annoying to you lot in winter) shade of Brown. But only to my collar line and my arms. Does this now mean I have to arrest myself because I have a good colour? Should I spend another week on the beach to become a PC shade of Black?

I saw a Father Christmas today in a supermarket that has branches in the UK. He was a South West Asian, but he was wearing make up to make himself the proper non coloured colour to be Santa. Should I now sue the UK company for making a coloured person white?

Your PC stuff is SOOOOOOO hard to keep up with, the Elves at Santa's grotto in the Oasis Centre were clearly not from the North Pole unless climate change has had an impact up there & they all have strong tans. Should I be offended? Should I have apologised for assuming that from a land of eternal night in the winter months I shouldn't have expected them not to be South East Asian in complaxion?