Boxing Day tube strike to go ahead

trousers

Triple pay for the bank holiday and 364 days in lieu is a little over the top:rolleyes:

I've not found anyone who agrees with them on this. There are some negotiations which are borderline, some which you think 'that's a bit hopeful' but their demands are ridiculous IMO.

Bob crowe and his band of merry men represent everything that is rotten about the union movement. This little episode won't do them any favours. People are struggling to make ends meet and they have the gall to ask for triple time and a day in lieu. Who the hell do they think they are?

Even I have issues with this strike. They earn £52k + a year a tube drivers. Now I know it is all relative when you consider living costs etc, but seriously, on strike because they're not getting an extra day off due to Boxing Day?

SNSUN may well prove me wrong, but is it that difficult a job? The rub is though that they can, and evidently will, hold London to ransom because London needs the Underground more than the Underground needs London (if you get my drift).

Bob crowe and his band of merry men represent everything that is rotten about the union movement. This little episode won't do them any favours. People are struggling to make ends meet and they have the gall to ask for triple time and a day in lieu. Who the hell do they think they are?

It pains me to be fair to Bob Crow but this strike isn't to do with his union; this is ASLEF action rather than RMT.

That isn't to say he wouldn't be calling out the drivers if they were RMT members.

It pains me to be fair to Bob Crow but this strike isn't to do with his union; this is ASLEF action rather than RMT.

That isn't to say he wouldn't be calling out the drivers if they were RMT members.

Whoops, although in my defence I did hear that commie sod talking about it on the radio and made 2+2 = 5.

However, generally speaking, Bob Crowe and his band of merry men represent everything..etc

Surely only investment bankers are hated more? Greedy! They get a bloody good salary even for London and the amount Of holiday they get is obscene. (think I read 45 day)

As someone who lives in London, I can tell you that investment bankers don't even register on the scale of hatred here when public transport union members are in the public eye.

Even I have issues with this strike. They earn £52k + a year a tube drivers. Now I know it is all relative when you consider living costs etc, but seriously, on strike because they're not getting an extra day off due to Boxing Day?

SNSUN may well prove me wrong, but is it that difficult a job? The rub is though that they can, and evidently will, hold London to ransom because London needs the Underground more than the Underground needs London (if you get my drift).

This strike is by ASLEF, which around half of train operators are with, and it's totally uncalled for. We've never been paid extra for Boxing Day, nor do we get bank holidays off, unless it falls on a rest day of course, and it all smacks of greed. The media are incorrect about them earning £52k, it's more like £45k but it's still a decent enough chunk without having to bring about this action. They won't get it - if they do, the other unions will follow suit. We get Christmas Day off though, and I'm happy with that. I'll be at work tomorrow, and I'm opening Heathrow Terminal 4 at 7am on Boxing Day, and it doesn't bother me at all. (Except for not being able to drink on Christmas Day, but hey ho.)

Train operating is a boring, monotonous job, where any mistakes will basically leave you sacked. It's not hard to do though, they earn their money from what they know, not what they do. It's not for me, I'm happier on the stations.

I doubt this strike will have as much of an effect on London as an RMT strike would - I'd reckon most services will be running but with larger gaps between trains.

Edited by SNSUN
Made it sound like I work for free on Boxing Day...

As someone who lives in London, I can tell you that investment bankers don't even register on the scale of hatred here when public transport union members are in the public eye.
This. F*****g doing it boxing day as well, absolute mugs, all it will do long-term is ensure their long-term future will be in jeopardy, no-way can a city like London be reliant on these sort of people for it to be able to operate properly.

This has nothing to do with left or right, so don't try and drag it down that route. I don't know of one person, left, centre, right or you, who agrees with this strike.

Anyway this strike is about grabbing as much as you can for yourself and screw everyone else - a basic tenet of the unregulated free market principle Dune is always tediously banging on about (without actually understanding what he advocates).

Aren't modern transport systems driverless? No wonder.

Ive been on the driverless shuttle link between Gatwick south and north terminals dozens of times and despite it always working flawlessly it is always slightly unsettling to be able to look through the front window in the front carriage and notice there is no driver. Illogically I think if they put in a false drivers cabin it wouldnt bother me....

Ive been on the driverless shuttle link between Gatwick south and north terminals dozens of times and despite it always working flawlessly it is always slightly unsettling to be able to look through the front window in the front carriage and notice there is no driver. Illogically I think if they put in a false drivers cabin it wouldnt bother me....

At Atlanta airport in the 80s they had driverless trains, and may still have them. Originally they had natural sounding announcements but changed them to robotic ones by popular demand.

The DLR is driverless already, although it almost always has a member of staff on board "just in case", and as far as I'm aware the Jubilee line has the capability to go fully automatic, but it's a political hot potato because of the potential safety issue with thousands of people being at the mercy of a computer system hundreds of feet below the ground.

The DLR is driverless already, although it almost always has a member of staff on board "just in case", and as far as I'm aware the Jubilee line has the capability to go fully automatic, but it's a political hot potato because of the potential safety issue with thousands of people being at the mercy of a computer system hundreds of feet below the ground.

Took the kids for a ride on that when we went to see Maiden at the O2. I realise theres a safety system that prevents trains from getting too close to each other, but its still a bit disconcerting to be able to look out the front seeing another train come towards you and praying the points work properly!

I am left of centre, and am a trade union member. I support many strikes, firemen, teachers etc. But this is absolutely ridiculous, and in the current financial climate, where we are approaching record levels of unemployment, it is quite senseless and greedy beyond belief.

They are arseholes.

As far as I'm aware, the Central and Jubilee lines also run automatic trains, there's a decoder button on the platforms for station staff to stop trains if a person decides to jump in front of one (happens a lot more than people think), but at the moment the train operators are still sat in the cabins in case of an emergency. So, in effect, those guys are being paid to sit there and do sod all. Nice job if you can get it. (Which I could've, recently they opened up train operator promotion, but it's not what I want to do.)

• 11 months later...
The period between anouncement and full implementation will be a nightmare as the unions go into melt down but the sooner the tube is fully driverless the better.
Just before the Olympics, Mike Brown promised all train operators currently employed by LUL would have their jobs until retirement if they wanted them. :rolleyes: That's a lot of sitting in driverless cabs doing nothing. The fact is, if the Underground wants to keep up with modern times, they have to go driverless, but the three unions are very powerful, because of the disruption to England's capital city they can employ. There'll be a lot fewer staff in the future anyway, which will benefit all Londoners and Tourists. Me? Well my job is fairly secure at present, in that I work in one of the busiest ticket offices on the system at Heathrow. Which I enjoy. (I also wear my "I Love SFC" badge with pride, so come say hello if you're passing through!)