Should The Shops be open on Monday?

John Boy Saint

How many of you think the shops should be open on Boxing day?

For years the vast majority of stores were shut Christmas, Boxing, and New Years Day, even 20 years ago.

Now Supermarkets and many stores remain open as late as possible on Christmas Eve, shut for one day (without doubt these days reluctantly) them go again on the 26th until Easter Sunday.

Strangely Boxing Day was a day for servants who were given the day off after ensuring everything went smoothly on Christmas Day for their employers. Now it seems like the meaning of Boxing Day has been lost and the servants are back at the coal face serving the hordes who can't go without the shopping for 2 days.

I dont work in retail, but I think the 3 major Bank Holidays of Christmas should be returned to total Holiday for all but the very essential services (and Football) , surely we can all survive without the shops being open on 4 days of the year at least.

You should have seen the hoardes descending on Tesco's on Friday. You'd think they were stocking up for a siege. It's ridiculous as half of the stuff will end up in the bin. In this day and age we've never had it so good, but never been so spiritually poor.

Mrs D works in retail and doesn't think shops should be open on a Sunday never mind the major days. In this day and age anyone can survive easily without shopping 7 days a week.

Although not working in retail, I agree with her about Sunday's.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
You should have seen the hoardes descending on Tesco's on Friday. You'd think they were stocking up for a siege. It's ridiculous as half of the stuff will end up in the bin. In this day and age we've never had it so good, but never been so spiritually poor.

We've never had it so good? Christ on a bike, we're slumping into a double-dip recession (or is it triple) and millions are financially screwed.

Those who have, have. Those who have not are f**ked. I know many people who have done their level best for their kids but won't be able to put the heating on next month.

We've never had it so good? Christ on a bike, we're slumping into a double-dip recession (or is it triple) and millions are financially screwed.

Those who have, have. Those who have not are f**ked. I know many people who have done their level best for their kids but won't be able to put the heating on next month.

Erm buy thats not exactly medieval levels of poverty is it? Or the poverty you see in the likes of Kenya?

I know many people who have done their level best for their kids but won't be able to put the heating on next month.

When I grew up we never had central heating so this is hardly an issue, not that I believe your melodramatic story.

What a load of myopic nonsense. Frankly, that is offensive drivel and if you genuinely believe it you are a bit special.

Should be allowed to open when they like. Still do not understand the only allowed to open for 6 hour rule on Sunday (10-16:00 or 11-17:00). Times have moved on and I think Tesco might as well go 24/7. If I owned my own business and the demand was there I would not be happy if I was told I could not open.

Stupid rule!!!