Board games

Dr Who?

As per normal Christmas evening was spent with the family playing board games and eating cheese and crackers, while getting drunk on Rum.

Just wondering what board games you lot played or what you did with the family during Christmas evening night?

We played His & Hers and 5 seconds.

Cludo.. rule one, never play with anyone aged 70 or above.. I won by defult as everyone had guessed wrong.. for anyone ITK with cludo thats pretty impossible. reminder for the old dears.. show your cards sometimes..

Ok, here is a board game recommendation that not many people will know about.

Dominion.

Basically a card-game with a lot of ebb and flow. Won oodles of awards the year it was released. Still pretty good now.

Edited by pap

we played an old fav of mine,Hotel then Rummikub & Pass the Pigs.

good to see people still playing board games & not all faffing about on a Wii.

:blush: We played the Dance one on the Wii. I think I earned more respect from my children and older grandchildren because I nearly always beat them!

However, I couldn't move the next day :(

I loved Buccaneer when I was kid. Brilliant pirate/treasure game. Sadly, long out of production.

If anyone has an old one in the attic they'd be willing to sell me .... :)

That was a cracking game as I recall. You may just shdder at some of these prices being asked for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__waddingtons+buccaneer+board+game_W0QQ_dmdZ2?clk_rvr_id=301462088715&crlp=3903557531_228459_228459&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=753bbc681300a06437f70c97ffdc917d&keyword=waddingtons+buccaneer+board+game&ff4=228459_228459

Was introduced to a few new games over Christmas but the best one by far was Quelf. Would go as far as to say best game I've ever played.

You basically roll die to move around the board landing on coloured squares and you have to pick a card of that colour which could have you doing absolutely ANYTHING to avoid a forfeit.

I wasn't very lucky and ended up having to spend the whole game sitting on my hands, not allowed to make eye contact with anyone or I would have to say to them "I will have you now" :) also involved impersonations, dancing and general randomness! Great game..

...shame we had to spend the whole day today looking for our own copy of it without any luck :(

Was introduced to a few new games over Christmas but the best one by far was Quelf. Would go as far as to say best game I've ever played.

You basically roll die to move around the board landing on coloured squares and you have to pick a card of that colour which could have you doing absolutely ANYTHING to avoid a forfeit.

I wasn't very lucky and ended up having to spend the whole game sitting on my hands, not allowed to make eye contact with anyone or I would have to say to them "I will have you now" :) also involved impersonations, dancing and general randomness! Great game..

...shame we had to spend the whole day today looking for our own copy of it without any luck :(

Nice recommendation.

Good thread, btw. I happen to think that board games are an excellent way to get the family together. Computer games are fun and all, but the manual element of board games ( i.e. all the farting about with pretend money/dinosaurs/whatever ) provides a lot of opportunity for surreal conversations with your kids :)

I used to be very partial to a yuletide game of Mousey Mousey until one year I ended up at the A+E with some broken fingers because when adults play the more wine and home brew that goes down the less accurate the cup handing becomes, until it comes crashing down on your fingers when wielded by a burly Hampshire PC.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I used to be very partial to a yuletide game of Mousey Mousey until one year I ended up at the A+E with some broken fingers because when adults play the more wine and home brew that goes down the less accurate the cup handing becomes, until it comes crashing down on your fingers when wielded by a burly Hampshire PC.

Played that for first time too! :) had my in hysterics. Especially when I came down with the cup, hit one of the yellow counters which then flipped down my girlfriends top :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUELF-travel-CARD-GAME-strategy-NEW-Random-fun-3-mor-/330659713408?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Games&hash=item4cfcdad180

Ebay it!

We all played two new ones (for us) this year. 1st up was Rapidough, popular apparently but I hadn't heard of it. T'was a good laugh, its basically pictionary but with lumps of dough instead of pen and paper.

2nd was a new one called Pass the Bomb, can recommend this one if you like getting ****ed up and screaming at your family!

I loved Buccaneer when I was kid. Brilliant pirate/treasure game. Sadly, long out of production.

If anyone has an old one in the attic they'd be willing to sell me .... :)

I think my parents might still have it in the loft somewhere...but if they ever find it, I'm keeping it. Lots of fun.

Look on Ebay.co.uk. Several editions there. I think we had/have the 50's one...could be worth a few quid too!

I think my parents might still have it in the loft somewhere...but if they ever find it, I'm keeping it. Lots of fun.

Look on Ebay.co.uk. Several editions there. I think we had/have the 50's one...could be worth a few quid too!

Certainly is.... :(

I'd forgotten all about Buccaneer. It was a great game.

I also liked Kingmaker which is also long deceased in production. Although that was a bit more complicated than Triv etc so useless for old people or girls.

Does everyone else also only have trivial pursuit from 1985 and struggle with all the 'entertainment' questions?

Bloody stupid trying to play this game against old folk as they wipe the floor with you. But now that there updated versions they do not seem to keen on playing anymore. Funny that!

Bloody stupid trying to play this game against old folk as they wipe the floor with you. But now that there updated versions they do not seem to keen on playing anymore. Funny that!

Can't you buy packs of new questions?? Buy 1 pack of new questions, take half of the old ones out and replace them with

half of the new ones.Gives all ages a roughly equal chance....well in theory it does.