The ‘Who Has the Best Watch?’ Thread

Verbal

As iPads, Kindles and smartphones cut old formats and technologies to pieces, beautifully made watches, made with the precision and art of fine jewellery, continue to be extremely popular. More than that, the best of them are more collectible than ever: the value of the most prestigious names in watchmaking has soared in the last ten years or so, making watch collectors also some of the smartest investors.

One of the best books out there on watch collecting is written by an old friend of mine, Gene Stone. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Watch-Gene-Stone/dp/0810930935/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324995431&sr=1-1

I’m aiming for mid-table respectability: mine’s a vintage (circa 1966) Omega Constellation automatic chronometer, a piece of lovely simplicity that works as well today as the day it was made.

A lot of people buy the brand rather than the watch itself - which makes some ridiculously expensive and other beautiful watches dirt cheap. Ive got an 1930s art deco Bulova Fifth Avenue. Cost me £100. Looks like this (net pic)

IMAG0894_sm.jpg?1303411187

Edited by buctootim

A raymond weil tango. Bought it in geneva in 1988, it still keeps near-perfect time. Its a nice size for the skinny of wrist like myself, your rolexes and omegas are all well and good but they look a bit stupid unless your forearms are like thighs.

I'm probably missing something but all watches tell the time, right? And some look slightly smarter than others bit I really can't see the justification for spending more than fifty quid on one.

Nobody needs a watch to tell the time nowadays, it's just jewellery, hence the Sex in the City style thread. If you're somebody who finds designer labels important, you need to have the other accessories really.

One of my favourite books I've read in the last few years. Head and shoulders above everything else he's written. Haven't owned a watch in years and would never buy one just as jewellery.

I liked his latest (well I think it was but I can be behind the times on the literary front).

1000 Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, about the Dutch Trading Colony with Japan .

I'm probably missing something but all watches tell the time, right? And some look slightly smarter than others bit I really can't see the justification for spending more than fifty quid on one.

On that logic you must drive something like a nissan micra then??? I mean, all cars get you from A to B don't they?

Funny you should say that but yes, I also subscribe to the A 2 B cheap car mentality as well. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Next you'll be telling us you don't rend raw steak to pieces before growling at your family. Wuss :D

I went for a name, and have a Ben Sherman S505, cost 40 quid brand new about 6 years ago - it tells the time. The leather strap is now on it's last legs. Went into the jewellers that I bought if from today - he said he could get me a replacement strap for about 30 quid. To replace the watch is only 23 quid now so will probably do me for another 5 years or so.

s505.03bs-mens-oblong-silver-dial-black-leather-strap-watch.jpg

I own three. 3. Sekonda piece of rubbish, dead battery. Kept as present for me by the kids. 2. Russian referees watch; wind up, stopwatch with separate dials for minutes and seconds, keeps good time. Uncle who gave it me said it was worn by that Russian linesman in the '66 wc final. 1. My birth Grandads silver pocket watch. My most precious possession in the whole wide World. Never wear a watch though sxdly. I don't need reminding that I am always late. It's my trademark.

I have a TAG Heuer that was the result of a previous one being spirited away off my wrist by a big wave on the beach in Spain, insurance coughed up new for old and I replaced it with a similar looking one which had to come from the facory in Switzerland as no stock existed here. It's only a basic Aquaracer but when having a look in the TAG shops and consessions around the place always draws comments.

For doing heavy work I have self winding Citizen, which once you build up a head of steam in the spring is as good as gold, especially for £19.95

Edited by John Boy Saint
Stupid auto spell!!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

A Casio wave-ceptor for every day; a Seiko dive watch which needs a new battery and re-seal and a vintage Casio DEP-600c-1

DEP-600_1200_1600_f9f9f9_imageslargewater.png_140_60_40_r_b_-10_-10_all_15.jpg