Removing tiles and painting the kitchen

Dr Who?

Hi all,

We moved into our house over a year ago and fitted a new kitchen and plug sockets. The next move was to remove the white tiles that cover over half the kitchen and really make it look a little like a commercial kitchen.

I have started the process this morning of removing the tiles, with a screwdriver and a hammer, and this seems to do the trick, but if any one knows a better way then feel free to let me know!!

I have noticed that the wall behind the tiles is bumpy and uneven, does this need sanding and plastering before I paint, and if so how much will this cost and how will I do this.

I am going to tile round the sink, but again, my tiling skills are or we're a little to be desired, so any hints or tips in this area?

I will try not to screwdriver my hand or any other part of my body during this exercise!!

Hi Dr ... you will find some very good tips on line .. on or two sites with video instruction .. B&Q being one .. good luck!!

Cheers for the advice, I will check out the videos from the websites mentioned. I spent 6 hours removing all the tiles and and trips to the dump and then tidying the kitchen. All back as it was but tile-less now. Not sure what I need to do next, but will give it a go, and hopefully get it all finished by the weekend.

Thinking of doing the floor as well, nice stone looking one.

You clearly possess all the qualities and attributes to make a career politician! ie you are phucking useless! 6 hours to remove tiles? Have you heard of a Lump Hammer and Bolster? Should be done in 20 mins. A screwdriver to remove tiles? What do you use for undoing screws? A garden rake?

You should be able to tile directly on top, but if the surface is excessively rough, you may have to put a bit of bonding on there to even it out.

I recommend the Readers Digest DIY Manual available from WH Smiths or one of those B&Q DIY books. FFS get it together!

Also, I definately suggest either putting tiles back or a glass splashback. The reason for this is to create a wipeable hygenic surface, as all kind of lurgi congregates around there, and as food is prepared there, unless you want to run the risk of getting the threepenny bits on a regular basis. Unless you paint with Eggshell around there, tile it!