Vent for bathroom

Dr Who?

We have terrible problems with damp in the bathroom, and leaving he window open does not help at all. I am thinking of getting a vent put in, and was wondering if any of you knew how much this would cost?

Cannot seem to find anything on the Internet for prices!

Easy enough to install. Take the supply off the bathroom light (you should have a permanent live at the light to allow for overrun). Duct into roof space and out if ceiling fan, if that's not possible then you'll need a core cut out of the bathroom wall. Don't know how much it costs to get someone in for that as we do it ourselves at work.

Easy enough to install. Take the supply off the bathroom light (you should have a permanent live at the light to allow for overrun). Duct into roof space and out if ceiling fan, if that's not possible then you'll need a core cut out of the bathroom wall. Don't know how much it costs to get someone in for that as we do it ourselves at work.

Thats what we have - a plumber did it for us when we renewed the en-suite. Worked a treat although we have to still regularly treat the ceiling for mould.

Quick word advice.

All electrical work to a bathroom now comes under the remit of the Building Regulations, (part P I think from memory). This means it has to be signed off by Building Control at your Loacal Authority. You should check this out yourself, but I think there are 2 ways of getting the work done, firstly, you do it yourself, you then need a suitably qualified sparky to certify the work, secondly, you get the sparky to do it for you, self certificating. Either way, building Control will need to be informed (& a fee paid - happy christmas ;))

The bathroom in my digs is so cold, it's like standing outside. Bizarre as well, because it's in an extension so should be properly insulated really. We had a problem with mould recently and my landlady did what John Boy Saint posted above, no problems since. Keeping the window or door open for about 10 minutes after you shower/bath doesn't let too much heat out and helps to alleviate the problem as well.

Thanks for the advice above. I think we have had the wrong kind of thinking. We leave the bathroom window open nearly all of the time, thinking it was ventilation we needed, and not thinking it could be lack of heat. Yes it is cold in our bathroom for this reason. We are beginning to get damp in the bedroom as well and it is alway hold in there, as I do not like sleeping in a warm room!

You seem to be having quite a day of it mate! An extractor vent would be ideal in my bathroom too. If anyone has any experience with these I would also be grateful for advice.

Very busy today removed all the tiles from the kitchen, and just finished my fish and chips for the hard work. Now not quite sure what I need to do before I paint it, as I have not read the other thread yet!

Don't forget an isolator for the fan. You will need some 3-core and earth to do this. Put in a 4 terminal joint box where your existing light fitting is. There are a few ways you can do this but definitely consult an electrician before doing this. Earthing is crucial in a "special location" i.e a bathroom

Don't forget an isolator for the fan. You will need some 3-core and earth to do this. Put in a 4 terminal joint box where your existing light fitting is. There are a few ways you can do this but definitely consult an electrician before doing this. Earthing is crucial in a "special location" i.e a bathroom

Why not just take the fan straight from the 3-plated light?

Right, while moving the tiles from the kitchen wall, two things happened, one related to removing the tiles the other not.

The cover for the vent that goes to outside fell off, and as far as I could make out it was being held on by the tiles. Can I just buy another cover for the hole in the wall, or do I need a brand new vent?

The other thing is that a screw seems to have come out of the back of the mixer tap, and if you turn it on without holding it the top of the tap flies off and water shoots into the air. I have found the little screw but I am not quite sure how it holds the tap in place as it is tiny!

Right, while moving the tiles from the kitchen wall, two things happened, one related to removing the tiles the other not.

The cover for the vent that goes to outside fell off, and as far as I could make out it was being held on by the tiles. Can I just buy another cover for the hole in the wall, or do I need a brand new vent?

The other thing is that a screw seems to have come out of the back of the mixer tap, and if you turn it on without holding it the top of the tap flies off and water shoots into the air. I have found the little screw but I am not quite sure how it holds the tap in place as it is tiny!

This is obviously a thread worth keeping an eye on to cheer me up when I need it! :D