Diane Abbott Racist?

saintbletch

Diane Abbott, a serving MP, is being criticised and accused of being racist for this tweet.

@bimadew White people love playing "divide & rule" We should not play their game #tacticasoldascolonialism

It was sent in response to this tweet to her

@HackneyAbbott Maybe. I find it frustrating that half the time, these leaders are out of touch with black people they purport to represent.

Valid point, racist or somewhere in the middle?

Diane Abbott is a hypocrite of the highest order. She doesn't practice what she preaches (sends her daughter to private school).

She certainly doesn't represent black people. She is a career politician, not a conviction one, and is only interested in herself.

She makes reference to colour, which makes her a racist in my book.

If a white MP attributed a destructive tendency to all black people, it would be considered racist.

That's pretty much what Diane Abbott has done in reverse, and if equality is our aim, then it works both ways.

There's a germ of an interesting point there, just expressed in the wrong way. It's perfectly valid to point out the existence and destructive effects of divide and rule, but she attributed a personality characteristic to an entire ethnic group. In my book, that would be racist.

Diane Abbott, a serving MP, is being criticised and accused of being racist for this tweet.

@bimadew White people love playing "divide & rule" We should not play their game #tacticasoldascolonialism

It was sent in response to this tweet to her

@HackneyAbbott Maybe. I find it frustrating that half the time, these leaders are out of touch with black people they purport to represent.

Valid point, racist or somewhere in the middle?

I don't find it offensive ergo I don't consider it racist. Just seems like a valid opinion to me, regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with it. I'm not one to go scouring for racism for the sake of doing so.

Its about time the word racist is clearly defined. It is no longer a white persons oppression on black folk

but the PC brigade would have believe thats exactly what it is

Racism is far more diverse than white on black .

Afro carrobean dislike africans

Both Groups dislike Asians

Theree was the recent high profile case of a Polish urologist who one her case for racism amongst other claims against a health authority .

There are lots of examples of racism of black youths on asian folk and vice versa. How ever the authorities seem to not use the

the term racism in these cases.

Racism should be stamped out what ever creed . skin or country you are from

but it is not purely white on black it is far more serious than that

I try to go through life without knowingly offending anyone. I try not to be rascist, sexist, gingerist, shortist, baldist or any other -ist you care to mention, but I get very annoyed at the ease at which these various cards are played. I can`t believe that real people nowadays are actually as sensitive and easily offended as is made out. I have so many things going on in my life that I, as a white person, can`t be bothered to be offended at what Ms Abbott said. I am just waiting for the time when I am playing a game with my grandchildren, saying "Boo!" and being accused of being "Goose-ist".

Replace 'white' with 'black' and of it was a white person saying these comments, all hell would have broke loose.

She won't, but she should, be sacked or stand down over this.

But wouldn't that be stoking up the racism 'situation' in this country even further? My view is that people often go trawling through what people say with the aim of discovering something offensive rather than being actually offended per se.

I don't agree with what Abbott says but there's no way I would find it "offensive" as a white person. Isn't that what racism is all about...saying something about someone's appearance or place of birth that makes someone else genuinely offended (as opposed to believing that they have some sort of civil duty to be offended just because society says that they ought to be).

If less people microscoped every word that everyone uttered or wrote then there would be less racial tension in the country.

Its about time the word racist is clearly defined. It is no longer a white persons oppression on black folk

but the PC brigade would have believe thats exactly what it is

Racism is far more diverse than white on black .

Afro carrobean dislike africans

Both Groups dislike Asians

Theree was the recent high profile case of a Polish urologist who one her case for racism amongst other claims against a health authority .

There are lots of examples of racism of black youths on asian folk and vice versa. How ever the authorities seem to not use the

the term racism in these cases.

Racism should be stamped out what ever creed . skin or country you are from

but it is not purely white on black it is far more serious than that

It seems to me that Human Beings have evolved naturaly over millennia to make value judgements based on appearence - be it skin colour, height, weight, hair style, cloths, attractivness ... etc. Rigthly or wrongly, the chances of that being ancient characteristic being 'stamped out' anytime soon seems rather remote .

But wouldn't that be stoking up the racism 'situation' in this country even further? My view is that people often go trawling through what people say with the aim of discovering something offensive rather than being actually offended per se.

I don't agree with what Abbott says but there's no way I would find it "offensive" as a white person. Isn't that what racism is all about...saying something about someone's appearance or place of birth that makes someone else genuinely offended (as opposed to believing that they have some sort of civil duty to be offended just because society says that they ought to be).

If less people microscoped every word that everyone uttered or wrote then there would be less racial tension in the country.

Are people from Portsm*uth the exception?:) This is actually a semi-serious question. If the (acceptable?) hate displayed on this forum towards Pompey fans was transfered to any other sector of the community it would soon be stamped on. What actually is the difference? It is hate based on where these people come from and what team they support. I am not knocking it. I am as bad as anyone else when it comes to the Skates, but just wonder where the line is drawn.

Edited by miserableoldgit
Afterthought.

My view is that people often go trawling through what people say with the aim of discovering something offensive rather than being actually offended per se.

I couldnt agree more and they very often cause more harm than good.

Have you got them mixed up? The first one is Abbott's tweet, is it not?

Erk, yep, I think you're right. If she did say "White people love playing "divide & rule" we should not play their game" then its pretty damning. Its also pretty stupid.Some racial sterotypes at least have some basis in fact even if they are unfair overall - but the sweeping assertion that you me and Dune have the same views on divide and rule is pretty wild though .....

I don't find it offensive ergo I don't consider it racist. Just seems like a valid opinion to me, regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with it. I'm not one to go scouring for racism for the sake of doing so.

I think that is an excellent distinction trousers and a good way to look at racism - solely from a personal perspective.

But, I also know that laws find it difficult to deal with subtleties of personal interpretation. Unfortunately, they have to operate with a heavy and clumsy broad brush.

There are for example public order offences that deal with spreading racial discontent. And whilst I think it's fair to say that you'd have to have a big problem with Diane Abbott to think about pursuing a prosecution under the Public Order Act, she is a serving MP. And an MP representing a community that is apparently 61% white.

For any politician to start a tweet with the words "White people...", they would have to ensure that the rest of the tweet didn't try to paint a stereotype that some within that group might (personally) find offensive.

I think she failed to do that.

I see she has now said that the tweet was taken out of context. I'm stuggling to think of a context where those words would be the right ones to use.

Clegg has called her tweet "stupid and crass" (and he'd know). He has suggested she should apologise and explain herself.

Calls for resignation will surely follow.

Calls for resignation will surely follow.

Already have :-

The Conservative MP Nadim Zahawi said Abbott should apologise or resign after reading he read the message, which was posted as part of an exchange with a freelance journalist about the merits of talking in general terms about the black community.

She's trying to back-pedal like crazy at the moment.

Guardian article.

Already have :-

The Conservative MP Nadim Zahawi said Abbott should apologise or resign after reading he read the message, which was posted as part of an exchange with a freelance journalist about the merits of talking in general terms about the black community.

She's trying to back-pedal like crazy at the moment.

Guardian article.

It'll be interesting if/when more mainstream politicians, or those from her own party, join in.

I see she's also apologised. Well, she's issued one of those 3rd-person political apologies where she apologises "for any offence caused". As if there is no direct connection between her, her words and the offence caused.

I'm not offended at all, but it's a stupid thing to say. She needs to learn she is a frontbencher now and so can't talk like she is on this week all the time. I do not believe she is racist. Whether the tweet is or not all depends on her intent and the context.

Surely this applies to all "rascist" remarks.

I cannot stand Diane Abbot, she bangs on all the time playing the race card on issues, and seemed to be taking delight over "two white boys" being sentenced for the lawrence murder, she has a massive chip on her shoulder, would love to see her sacked and kicked out of parliament.

It'll be interesting if/when more mainstream politicians, or those from her own party, join in.

I see she's also apologised. Well, she's issued one of those 3rd-person political apologies where she apologises "for any offence caused". As if there is no direct connection between her, her words and the offence caused.

Its even more mealy mouthed than that. "I apologise for any offence caused. "I understand people have interpreted my comments as making generalisations about white people". doh.

Those dang white people making stupid inferences based on what she said.

Its even more mealy mouthed than that. "I apologise for any offence caused. "I understand people have interpreted my comments as making generalisations about white people". doh.

Those dang white people making stupid inferences based on what she said.

Personally boys, I think "sorry" is the most under-used phrase in politics.

Along with "I was wrong".

People would have so much more respect for our politicians if they were able to do this. Instead, we get florid platitudes that diminish the meaning of any admission.

How on the money was Orwell?

I'm not offended at all, but it's a stupid thing to say. She needs to learn she is a frontbencher now and so can't talk like she is on this week all the time. I do not believe she is racist. Whether the tweet is or not all depends on her intent and the context.

is that the same for all racists..?

What she said is obviously racist.

Who did she offend? Can a statement be racist if no-one is offended by it? (I'm not saying that someone hasn't taken genuine offence by what she said but I can't imagine why anyone would. Yes, it was 'daft' and/or 'clumsy', but 'offensive'...?)

Personally boys, I think "sorry" is the most under-used phrase in politics.

Along with "I was wrong".

People would have so much more respect for our politicians if they were able to do this. Instead, we get florid platitudes that diminish the meaning of any admission.

How on the money was Orwell?

Agree totally. Most people will forgive, and have increased respect for, someone who fesses up and apologises unconditionally. The trouble is that in the culture we have developed claiming black is white (to coin a phrase) works and will get you off most hooks.

Who did she offend? Can a statement be racist if no-one is offended by it? (I'm not saying that someone hasn't taken genuine offence by what she said but I can't imagine why anyone would. Yes, it was 'daft' and/or 'clumsy', but 'offensive'...?)

she offended me as a white person. by generalising and putting people with similar skin colour to me in some sort of behavioural bracket

may as well say all them brown skinned folk all eat chicken......would that be true..?

Im not offended by her, but I do think those who beat the racism drum regularly as she does need to be 'whiter than white'

she offended me as a white person. by generalising and putting people with similar skin colour to me in some sort of behavioural bracket

may as well say all them brown skinned folk all eat chicken......would that be true..?

I guess there are different levels of " "offence" then as I simply saw a collection of words that I thought were daft. I know what she says about white people is a clumsy generalisation therefore I see no reason to express 'offence'. Do do so would be me admitting that I was taking her at face value and not seeing the statement for what it was - I.e. Stupid. In other words, i don't feel offended by it because I'm rising above it.

it's a sweeping generalisation based on race and not true (or at least far more complicated than is being said) therefore the comment is in my opinion racist. Whether that makes her a racist or not is questionable, in the same way it's questionable that Suarez is despite the fact his comments where (if that makes sense).

To be honest i think it probably says more about the medium than anything else, answering heavy socio-political questions in 240 characters is always going to be hard/nigh on impossible and lead to simplification of issues and language.

Theres a point in itself. She might just be playing bullet-catcher for milibean for all we know, lets face it, he needs to pull something out of the hat if he's going to project anything resembling credibility.

And I agree with M.O.G.'s comment on #12, those were my exact first thoughts on skimming this thread :lol:

Edited by scotty

Agree totally. Most people will forgive, and have increased respect for, someone who fesses up and apologises unconditionally. The trouble is that in the culture we have developed claiming black is white (to coin a phrase) works and will get you off most hooks.

Yep agree too.

The problem is that an apology without contrition is worthless but a politician demonstrating contrition is considered weak.

I try to go through life without knowingly offending anyone. I try not to be rascist, sexist, gingerist, shortist, baldist or any other -ist you care to mention, but I get very annoyed at the ease at which these various cards are played. I can`t believe that real people nowadays are actually as sensitive and easily offended as is made out. I have so many things going on in my life that I, as a white person, can`t be bothered to be offended at what Ms Abbott said. I am just waiting for the time when I am playing a game with my grandchildren, saying "Boo!" and being accused of being "Goose-ist".

Fair enough, but the point is that Diane Abbott has made a career out of racism. She quite rightly wants it stamped out at every level, but then with comments like these shows herself to have racist tendencies. Whether you personally take offence is another matter, but if these comments were made about black people in general, she'd be all over it like a rash.

As I said, she is a hypocrite.

Fair enough, but the point is that Diane Abbott has made a career out of racism. She quite rightly wants it stamped out at every level, but then with comments like these shows herself to have racist tendencies. Whether you personally take offence is another matter, but if these comments were made about black people in general, she'd be all over it like a rash.

As I said, she is a hypocrite.

Nutshell

Diane Abbot is just embarrassed that she doesn't represent and isn't in any way in touch with what she considers to be the "black masses" and is trying to pander to them as best she can.

Sad that she thinks that this kind of inverse racism is the way to do it, but then when you get idiots like Al Sharpton and whatnot in America who attain a level of power far beyond their own intelligence purely out essentially hysterical "outrage" and as I say inverse racism you kind of understand where she went wrong.

But in all seriousness, I can't imagine any black people in Hackney see her as "one of their own" and probably do regard her as a bit of a Bounty bar.

Its been a great week for race relations ...everything else on this thread is just froth, the product of small minds........

True racists got Britich justice this week after 18 years or so and a great wrong is partially righted.

Agree let the sad cases on here carry on with stupid little kids thread .just makes them look sad people.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk