Many SWF posters are amongst the richest people in the world.

buctootim

About 3 million people in the UK are amongst the richest 1% of people globally. If you are single and take home more than £1,820 per month then you are among them. The world's 'middle class' - those on median incomes - live on £67 per month.

All this is according to a World Bank economist. Obviously you can argue about the numbers round the margins, but interesting research nonetheless.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/04/news/economy/world_richest/index.htm?iid=GM

Ah! I missed that bit first time. It's a very complicated comparison though, direct & indirect taxes, social benefits. As one of the comments states, in some parts of the world you don't need heating. Still, money isn't everything. :)

But more and more people are becoming used to spending on air con.

It is strange as me and my wife (when she is not on maternity leave) both bring in more than that figure per month. Not much more, but more. We SHOULD be pretty comfortable, but we have had to get to where we are now, including funding my wife through university with just my income, and getting into the sort of debt over the first 5 years we were together, which is easy to do as a young couple. Then as mentioned a family, and now 2 mortgages (Southampton & Royston) and now slowly paying off the debts that come with repairs and doing up these houses.

Yes I have managed to get work done to the houses, but only through saving and not taking family holidays, because it has to be one or the other. I referee, and even do Avon with my oldest daughter for a little extra cash.

We are by no means poor, but we still have to count the pennies for the next few years, and it only takes one of us to be made redundant or heaven forbid, be taken ill, or a slight increase in the varible interest rate before this November and we would be pretty screwed.

All good though, and thank you very much for the best wishes..... Kids are not cheap!!

Ah! I missed that bit first time. It's a very complicated comparison though, direct & indirect taxes, social benefits. As one of the comments states, in some parts of the world you don't need heating. Still, money isn't everything. :)

I agree. Its practically impossible to get a totally fair comparison between life in rich countries and poor, hot climates and cold etc. Thought provoking though.