Saints in Thailand

I don't post very often here but have spent many years lurking from my base here in Northern Thailand. Speaking as an ex Southampton schoolboy/youth player and a many years season ticket holder before I moved to Asia I enjoy keeping in touch with what's happening back home. I've noticed a few posts from people here in Thailand including some from people in Chiang Mai which is were I have lived for the past 11 years. So who are you and where do you live?

The people in Thailand are football crazy but only really know the Premiership teams. Older people here always say 'Le Tissier' when I talk about The Saints. When I first came to live here you could buy a Saints shirt at the Night Bazaar - I look forward to a return to the good old days!

Would be good to meet a few fellow Saints fans sometime in Thailand...

• 1 month later...

Koh Chang is some 1,000 km from me! Too far to meet for a beer I'm sorry to say... If I ever venture that way I'll give you a shout!

I've had a real estate / development business here for more than 10 years - keeps me out of mischief - well - mostly :p

Miss my footie though - have to make do with occasional bad quality streams and Saints Player :( apart from my occasional visits back.

Koh Chang is some 1,000 km from me! Too far to meet for a beer I'm sorry to say... If I ever venture that way I'll give you a shout!

I've had a real estate / development business here for more than 10 years - keeps me out of mischief - well - mostly :p

Miss my footie though - have to make do with occasional bad quality streams and Saints Player :( apart from my occasional visits back.

Have you read the book by Colin Martin 'Welcome to Hell' ? I think he was doing real estate in Thailand, good read.

Have you got any jobs going over there?

How much for a bungalow please?

• 2 weeks later...
Have you read the book by Colin Martin 'Welcome to Hell' ? I think he was doing real estate in Thailand, good read.

Have you got any jobs going over there?

Not read that book - I'll keep a lookout for it.

Jobs for foreigners are not easy to find here. There is a quota requirement of 4 Thai employees for every foreigner, as well as high minimum salary (and tax) for foreign employees. It means I can employ 3 or 4 Thais for the same cost as one foreigner :uhoh:.

I'll be in Chiang Mai in April. I've been there half a dozen times during the past decade and like both CM and Chiang Rai. I also love Koh Chang too, but as you point out, a bit far from Chiang Mai!

Well, if you are here between 12th and 16th April it is Songkran. Chiang Mai is the craziest place in the world for that period!

Don't you have to be a Thai national to own property??

Yes - a foreigner can own a house but not the land it sits on - ou have to be a Thai National to own land. But there are other ways to have control of the land including long leases and other 'rights to occupy and use' (Usufruct). Unfortunately we get a lot of foreigners here who meet Thai girls (usually in a bar...), get be-smitten by them and then buy property in the girls name. Needless to say this often ends in disaster when the relationship fails and they lose everything because they have no rights. They could have saved a lot of problems by structuring the purchase properly but too many of them think with the wrong part of their anatomy!

• 5 weeks later...