Saints Row : The Third

pap

This week, I finished up the latest Saints Row game. Thus far, have played and completed all three games. Have to admit, while I really enjoyed the first one, I constantly had it in the back of my mind that it was simply the first GTA-style game to appear on the (then)new consoles, and the awesome San Andreas was still fresh in the memory.

Bought the second one cheap while in Ireland, and played the crap out of that. Like I said, just finished the third.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - pap - what's your point?

Well, I now have a better time with Saints Row games than the GTA games.

First, they are absolutely barmy. This third game contains so many "did they just do that?" moments that you quickly lose count. It is gloriously silly.

Next, you get to create your own character, male or female, with a choice of three voices for each gender. Customisation extends past appearance to cover cars, gangs, etc. Making your own custom cars is a crapload of fun.

The controls are a ton better than GTA. Sod all this switching targets bolox - it largely controls like an FPS. Two sticks, reticule and you're done. The driving in the third game probably has the best handling out of any open worlder I've played.

Small mention for the fact that Saints Row 2 + 3 have planes, much missed after GTA's San Andreas.

And finally, if you're not yet convinced, every game sees you as the leader of a gang called "The 3rd Street Saints", or simply "The Saints" for short. The second one is available for buttons atm, but I'd recommend it and the 3rd game without hesitation.

Get on it, if you haven't already.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...