Engines

St Landrew

I've decided to stop hijacking Ponty's thread and start a new one. I began to see interesting parallels in F1 engines and racing designs from the 1960s. Everyone has probably read somewhere how Honda came onto the British motorcycle scene and promptly took away the sales, aided by fellow manufacturers, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. But many won't know how innovative they were, for example in their racing engines. Honda were almost exclusively 4-stroke in their approach, unlike the others. So their machines had to be like little jewels to reach similar power outputs of the 2-strokes. Here's a link from the other thread:

http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaas/1964.html

Take a look at some of the specifications. But do remember they're around 40 years old.

I must admit i always liked the V4 2 stroke engines used in the 500cc grand prix days,any engine that can turn out around 180-190bhp from 500cc is a great piece of engineering.It's only a shame that due to emisions laws we never saw there full potential on road bikes.

Do you secretly want to be a courier?

Know what you mean. Nah, just like reliability. Couriers can teach us something about that. In the courier world there are plenty of examples of CX500s doing 250,000+ miles without major engine work. I've been reliably informed that there are a few examples that have done over 1,000,000 miles. For a motorcycle engine, that is incredible. It's pretty damn impressive for any piston based, road going engine.