Threats

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I have a chocolate Labrador and let her out for her morning ablutions into the garden. I never realised that the gate was open. Next thing I know, she is barking like a good'un and so I run out and call her in.

There is a man standing at my gate, f-ing and blinding and saying if I don't keep my dog under control he is going to call the police. She hasn't bitten him, just barked at him. He has a five foot long length of wood which he is waving around at her which is why she started. He then starts swearing at me in front of my 6 year old and 9 year old boys. He threatened me with his stick and called me a lot of foul names. I didn't swear at him once.

However, my 22 year old son heard what was going on and ran out to help me, grabbing the guy while I broke the stick. He never hit him, just grabbed his clothing.

All of a sudden this guy goes from argumentative agressive arsehole to I'm sorry mode.

Question. Do you think that what my son did was wrong and/or what would you have done?

I think he was protecting his family, so he didn't do anything wrong in my opinion. But to be honest the guy was probably all mouth and wouldn't have done anything, as seen by when confronted he went into 'sorry mode'. People like that just aren't worth the hassle, they do it to intimidate and it makes them feel good, but really they don't want any hassle at all.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Morally you were spot on, legally your son assaulted the guy and you caused criminal damage by breaking his stick. That is the fu**ed up world we live in.

Col.

My argument is that my son used reasonable force to defend his property (the dog) and his family (me and him) and I broke the stick in order to minimise the danger to me and my son. It wasn't a walking stick per se, but a straight branch cut from a tree.

As for the argument that he didn't want any trouble. He was jumping around and swearing at me, offering me out and telling me he would knock me f*cking down.

Yes, unfortunately, his actions would have been better to have acted as mediator, looking to calm the tone of the other guys voice down and control the situation. Instead he inflamed it and went over the top, noble gesture it may be but not really necessary.

Then again, if there was a bloke holding a plank of wood, my dad getting threatened and a dog barking then I doubt i'd have heeded my own advice either.

It's hard to think straight when there is so many thing's going on, people shouting and swearing, a Dog barking and some loon swinging a plank of wood about can make you naturally adopt a fight or flight mentality, in this case he chose the former as I would probably have done in the actual moment, easy to be more objective and focused in hindsight.

To be honest DSM, had a similar situation a few years back. I would call the police to make them aware. Because all you need is the OB turning up on your doorstep, only with his side of the story, thats when it gets difficult!

As for what I would have done, well I laid some bloke out for roughly the same situation when he was having a go at my missus.

Legally you should be fine, the guy had a weapon and was threatening you and your son simply disarmed him.

Of course the law probably states you should take a beating with a plank instead of resolving the situation.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Sounds like a nice place to live.

It is, believe it or not. One of the most expensive suburbs of Winchester, Southdown. I don't think that the aggressor is a local, just one of the regular Rambler brigade.

My argument is that my son used reasonable force to defend his property (the dog) and his family (me and him) and I broke the stick in order to minimise the danger to me and my son. It wasn't a walking stick per se, but a straight branch cut from a tree.

As for the argument that he didn't want any trouble. He was jumping around and swearing at me, offering me out and telling me he would knock me f*cking down.

You're a big fella - I think he's quite brave.

His reaction does seem pretty over the top though. Why are people like that?

I just hope that he doesn't talk to his friends and then go to the police as these days

it seems you might be the one to get into legal problems. Would that be the case would it

affect your publican licence ?

Mind you as I understand you are about 6'4" I think that shows he is a bit mentally retarded so

that should help you :D

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I just hope that he doesn't talk to his friends and then go to the police as these days

it seems you might be the one to get into legal problems. Would that be the case would it

affect your publican licence ?

Mind you as I understand you are about 6'4" I think that shows he is a bit mentally retarded so

that should help you :D

The only thing I did was to disarm him as I was concerned for the safety of me and my family.

Oh, I run at 6'6 I'll have you know. And so far, nothing has been heard from him or the Police.