Sony Vita

Ampersound

I got one and to be honest I think for what it is the thing is hugely over-priced.

Managed to get it from HMV with fifa and uncharted for £250. The games themself look really good. Fifa is pretty much the same as the console version but with a few tweaks here and there. Not as good as the console version but as a game you can play on the go it is the best footie game I have played. The screen is amazing!

But for what it is it is kind of behind the times. If the smartphone/tablet era had not started and this was released it would be the best thing out there. But we are so used to our phones and tablets being able to do various stuff on top of playing games that you do feel it lacks features. On top of that you have to buy a memory card or it won't work. And the the games are almost as expensive as the ps3 titles. The content on psn is a joke. To buy fifa on there will cost you £45. It shouldn't be anywhere near that.

If you have the money and only care about the games then it is pretty cool. But for the price it is going to struggle so I expect the prices to come down like what happened with 3ds. Likewise I think games will settle around £25 eventually. I like my Vita but until a killer game comes out for it then it doesn't really have much of an identity.

One cool feature it does have though is you can play your ps3 games on it by remote access. So if you can't be arsed to sit in front of the tv and want to go outside you can play your ps3 game on the vita out there.

Other then that there are no other big features in there. Nothing new. Game are doing a deal where if you buy it and decide you don't like it you can return it and get your money back at the cost of a £10. I.e as if you had rented it. Maybe that is the way to go with it.

Nah not on par with Ps3. I would say it is somewhere between ps2 and ps3 but closer to ps3 if that makes sense?

Uncharted is by far the best looking game on it and looks similar to the first one on ps3.

So obviously they will look better the more developers get used to it. It has huge potential. I think they are going to release a lot of the early games this gen on it ie Bioshock.

I got mine on launch 3g,fifa and 8gb mem card for 292 and i love it.

The graphics are pretty much on par with ps3 maybe just alittle off, i got my 3ds at christmas and havent played it and ive had this for 3 days and havent put it down, i reccomend it to any one.

Got my PS Vita at launch with Rayman, Uncharted, Touch My Katamari! and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus along with a trusty travel case.

Have hardly stopped playing it, and it has been out more than a week now, top quality product.

The OLED screen is amazing, all the games i've got have fantastic console-level graphics, the dual analog sticks give it the feel of holding a proper PS3/360 controller, and it's just the right weight.

My 3DS hardly gets used now, and just sits gathering dust, this is the real deal not just a 3D gimmick.

Speakers are in a funny place. I tend to cover them when i am playing games so the sound can be muffled.

The touch pad is fun and is used on a number of current games - Uncharted

Battery life is good. Have not had any issue with battery going flat during a game.

Special memory cards is a bit of a rip off. I have a 8gb and that is already 80% full with the games I have downloaded. i prefer to have only 1 card as I WILL lose the spares.

I have not tried any psp games to see what they go like but it will be interesting to compare graphics against what it is like on the vita.

Touch screen in good. no issues there.

Overall really enjoying it but disappointed it has no internal memory and the sound is not as amazing as the graphics.

• 1 year later...

The missus sent me to Argos to get a sofa bed. Both Vita models were going for 185UKP, so I snuck in the 3G model. Was going to get one this year at some point; going to get a PS4 later in the year so the integration will be nice. Oddly enough, I almost took it back this morning. The bugger kept on erroring out on initial setup. Took ages of searching to find a fix, but after an update, everything has worked nicely.

I'm not a fan of the proprietary memory cards, but after the piracy that plagued the PSP, can't blame Sony for wanting to provide some obstacle, even it is a pain in the arse for the consumer. The biggest card I've seen so far is 32GB, at a very poor cost per gigabyte.

With all those negatives out of the way, let's move onto the positives. While it's a bit of a stretch to say it pays for itself if you own other Sony hardware, there are generous terms on a lot of the Sony games out there - e.g. buy once - get for both platforms. Very good looking machine, and a hell of a lot more ergonomic than my first PSP. A lot of the rough edges have been smoothed out, and it actually feels like something you could keep in your hands.

The screen has a weird texture, but holds up nicely. Remote Play, the ability to get your PS3 screen on your PSP, is a bit of a gimmick though. Hardly anything works. Overall though, a much welcome addition to the console collection, one which'll be even handier when PS4 rolls into town.

• 6 months later...

Very true. I'd never bought a console on launch day before the Vita but haven't regretted it for a second. Probably used it more than my PS3 over the last 18 months.

Quite a few are curiosities or indie titles, but I'd say all of the following games are near-essential:

FIFA Football (don't bother with sequels, they're just reskins)

Gravity Rush

Guacamelee

Hotline Miami

Killzone Mercenary

LittleBigPlanet

Motorstorm RC

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Persona 4 Golden

Sound Shapes

Super Stardust Delta

Tearaway

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Velocity Ultra

The Walking Dead (if you haven't played it elsewhere)

Wipeout 2048

TxK, OlliOlli and Surge Deluxe are getting great reviews too.

Very true. I'd never bought a console on launch day before the Vita but haven't regretted it for a second. Probably used it more than my PS3 over the last 18 months.

Quite a few are curiosities or indie titles, but I'd say all of the following games are near-essential:

FIFA Football (don't bother with sequels, they're just reskins)

Gravity Rush

Guacamelee

Hotline Miami

Killzone Mercenary

LittleBigPlanet

Motorstorm RC

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Persona 4 Golden

Sound Shapes

Super Stardust Delta

Tearaway

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Velocity Ultra

The Walking Dead (if you haven't played it elsewhere)

Wipeout 2048

TxK, OlliOlli and Surge Deluxe are getting great reviews too.

Not too keen on big console games shrunk down to handheld size. Gave Uncharted a brief go but abandoned it because of framerate, etc.

Hotline Miami is superb, as is Guacamelee. I've also got Super Stardust.

TxK is also very good; my mate did one of the tunes for it.