Mini Laptops

Weston Super Saint

Anyone know much about these??

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-MINIBK

That example states it has an SD card slot, so does this mean an SD card can be used to increase the memory?

Ie that model has a 2gb solid state memory , but will putting in an 8GB sd card increase it to 10gb all together??

I'm assuming it would as I can see no reason why not, and since I would have a use for something like that for web browsing, emails and a little bit of business work, can anyone recommend them - or an alternative??

• 4 weeks later...
Update : it was utter pants, steer clear at all costs!!!

The wireless would only work on channel 1, but that would not work for the rest of my 'network'....

I would go with a refurbished 'laptop' if I were you....

Shame it wouldn't work with the rest of your network but I think "it was utter pants, steer clear at all costs!!!" is a little over-dramatic :lol:

Did it work as intended as a standalone device, suitable for trips, train journeys, etc.?

Shame it wouldn't work with the rest of your network but I think "it was utter pants, steer clear at all costs!!!" is a little over-dramatic :lol:

Did it work as intended as a standalone device, suitable for trips, train journeys, etc.?

Well it wouldn't if the user wanted to connect wirelessly - unless of course any device they wanted to connect to only broadcast on channel 1.....

Looks good mate. We use the ASUS Eee. They are fine for browsing the web etc, although we put on XP using XPlite as it only installs what components you want

These are ok but the early models run a very low resolution which means you have to scroll to see the whole windows desktop or web pages. It would get annoying after prolonged usage. The newer versions have higher resolutions if I remember correctly.

I've asked my work to get me an HP Mininote as these run at 1024X768 and have a keyboard that doesn't feel too cramped IMO. I think they are a bit pricier than some of the alternatives though.

If you'd have changed the rest of your wireless network to broadcast on channel 1 and it had all worked hunky dory, would your rating for the laptop still have been "utter pants, avoid at all costs"? I suggest you stop being such a drama queen, put your refund in a tin and start saving so that you can one day afford a MacBook; that way, you'll also not risk getting the screen wobble that stevegrant's Novatech laptop and Dells, HPs, Acers etc etc (according to exit 2) all suffer from.

start saving so that you can one day afford a MacBook;

Do MacBooks come in a "mini-MacBook" flavour?

If so, I would be potentially interested. However, as a lot of my work involves testing websites on Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari under different OS environments, does it support the ability to dual-boot into Windows and Ubuntu?

If the answer to that is also "yes", what's the battery life like on it? Ideally, I'd like a new laptop with a battery that will last at least 3 hours before needing to be recharged.

And then of course, where's the cheapest place to buy one from? :D

As you know, there's currently no 'mini' MacBook. However, with a form factor of 32.5cm x 22.7cm x just 2.75cm thick (2.75cm thick at all times, NOT a wedge-like thin at the front and massively thick at the back like some mini-laptops!) it's small enough to be amazingly portable.

You can test Browser behaviour inside Safari (as the screen capture below that I've just taken shows), or you can use Bootcamp or Parallels to dual boot or even have Windows and Ubuntu running inside separate windows on the same screen as OS X.

Battery Life? I can get up to 6hrs of web browsing etc still out of my 1st gen MacBook, reducing of course with heavy video or other power intensive work, but still only reducing down to a minimum of 3-4hrs at the worst of times.

Any more information will have to wait, due to my limited posting allowance.

Picture2-7.png

If you'd have changed the rest of your wireless network to broadcast on channel 1 and it had all worked hunky dory, would your rating for the laptop still have been "utter pants, avoid at all costs"? I suggest you stop being such a drama queen, put your refund in a tin and start saving so that you can one day afford a MacBook; that way, you'll also not risk getting the screen wobble that stevegrant's Novatech laptop and Dells, HPs, Acers etc etc (according to exit 2) all suffer from.

Yes.

(Try one and see, but don't say you weren't warned).

They have an SD card slot to 'expand' the 1GB memory, but it didn't recognise a card when I put it in - I tried 3 seperate SD cards, 1GB, 2GB and 8GB and it didn't recognise any of them....

My verdict [drama queen or not], is utter pants, and avoid at all costs.... I would go so far as to say, spend the extra £150 or so and get one of these : http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/range.html?t=nb&c=home&r=E15

As you know, there's currently no 'mini' MacBook. However, with a form factor of 32.5cm x 22.7cm x just 2.75cm thick (2.75cm thick at all times, NOT a wedge-like thin at the front and massively thick at the back like some mini-laptops!) it's small enough to be amazingly portable.

You can test Browser behaviour inside Safari (as the screen capture below that I've just taken shows), or you can use Bootcamp or Parallels to dual boot or even have Windows and Ubuntu running inside separate windows on the same screen as OS X.

Battery Life? I can get up to 6hrs of web browsing etc still out of my 1st gen MacBook, reducing of course with heavy video or other power intensive work, but still only reducing down to a minimum of 3-4hrs at the worst of times.

Any more information will have to wait, due to my limited posting allowance.

Picture2-7.png

Not Firefox 3 then?

For a month now I've had a very nice little white MSI Wind sub-notebook. 10" widescreen, 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, Intel Atom CPU, very nice bright display and a keyboard that you can actually use. For me it strikes the best compromise between portability and functionality.

This is also sold by PC World (sorry to swear) simply re-badged as a black-and-silver Advent 4211 for about £279. Mine cost £329 from Play 'cos the missus thought it would look nice in white (it does), has a nifty slip case and I couldn't bring myself to buy anything with an Advent badge.

So far it's been rock solid and fast with XP Home. It can also be ordered with a flavour of Linux and apparently someone has hacked it to use OS X. Note no CD/DVD so need to use external USB drive or stick (or network) for software loads.

Just google it for reviews... good one here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/20/review_msi_wind/

I have an Asus eee and love it to bits, and at £200 i wont be gutted if I lose it either. Itll also run Ubuntu, Windows and Leopard.

Laptop for business travel

Asus eee for personal trips and holidays

PC in work

(soon to be) iMac for home.

i hear so many rumours these last few weeks anyone know if there is a decent chance of me getting the new update of the macbook before i got to uni on the 21st of september. apple are holding a show tomorrow to announce certain new things but mostly to do with music not computing. i hear the new updates for the macbook, macbook pro and imac are coming but no one seems to know when!

Using the D word again but tempted with the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 as it has easy access to all the internals including a slot for an HSDPA modem so you can get the maximum flexibility of connections without having dongles and the like hanging off it. Looks like you either have to DIY it or wait for Vodafone to start selling them bundled together in which case will be interesting to see what the prices are.

• 4 weeks later...
I have an Asus eee and love it to bits, and at £200 i wont be gutted if I lose it either. Itll also run Ubuntu, Windows and Leopard.

Got my missus one last week so she can access her webmail from work using a Vodaphone broadband dongle. Worked a treat for a week then it refused to boot up so have sent it back to Amazon.

Have opted for an exchange and not a refund as the wife was very impressed with it (especially the long battery life due to no hard drive) so i guess i would still recommend one even though our first one went t!ts up.

Col.

After saying I was getting an hp I changed my mind and I should have one of the RM rebranded Asus eee's delivered soon. I've got both a 901 and a 1001 on their way (the 9" and 10" screen versions) and I'll make a decision which to actually use myself once I decide which is best.

All the reviews still say these are the best machines.