Windows Installer error

Saint Martini

I hope someone can help me with this because I don't have a clue what to do anymore. Earlier today I treid to install a new version of zonealarm, it tried downloading it from the zonealarm website but I kept getting an error message. I then downloaded the .exe file from download.com and everything was fine. I just assumed something was wrong with the file that I tried to use on the zonealarm website. But now I'm trying to install an windows update and I'm getting the same message. What is it and what can I do to fix it?

1224714481-660.jpg

I keep getting a message when I start up my computer that I don't have a firewall or anti-virus installed (this is why I installed a new version of zonealarm & avg anti-virus) but eventhough they are both clearly active the message stays (the little red shield with an x on it on the taskbar). Any suggestions for that?

Ah yes, how could I forget to remove it first with the windows installer cleanup. I've had several problems with removing/installing new stuff since I tried a system restore a few months back that crashed halfway through. Anyway, silverlight is now installed properly so thanks for that.

But I still get that message that I don't have a firewall or anti-virus installed. I installed a new firewall and anti-virus yesterday but that didn't do any good so any suggestions for that?

1224756279-560.jpg

Sorry for late reply,

OK for the AV, just set it to NOT MONITORED as you know you have it. Then for the firewall just turn off the XP Security Centre Firewall as again you know you have Zone Alarm installed. This will remove the annoying messages.

Just make sure that you update it and check them both regularly as with these settings windows won't notify you.

Try this for both (it's a security centre reset):

Try this and see if it makes any difference:

1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.

2. Click on services.

3. Go down to Windows Management Instrumentation.

4. Stop this service. Stop Security Center service too.

Set them to Automatically start.

5. Exit out of this area, to your desktop.

6. Right click Start, and choose Explore.

7. Go to c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.

Delete this subdirectory ONLY.

Leave the others there.

8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (you might need to boot twice).