BT ****ing Broadband - HELP Please

wheels

Anybody ITK able to help please?

I have just moved into a rented house and the 'expected' Speed for broadband is up to 3MBps (I don't really need massive speeds as I don't download loads).

With my router (wireless netgear) plugged into its current socket I get a Downstream speed of 4704kBps. When I plug it into the master socket (with the face plate off so I am connected to the 'start' of the line to the house), the Downstream is 6624KBps.

The IP profile for the line however remains constant regardless of which socket is used at a 'whopping' 135kBps

I have spent ages on the phone to India and once they determine who I am (cos BT haven't updated their systems!), they all spout the same crap about leaving the line to 'settle down' for 2 weeks and "by then I assure you that you will get the correct speed"

In the week I have been here the IP profile has remained constant, suggesting that, despite BT assurances, sweet FA is happening. In the meantime I'm paying these ****s for a broadband service and getting dial up speeds.

Apart from leaving BT (not really an option cos I believe the fault is on the line so the ISP won't matter),anybody got any clues as to how I can sort this out without another protracted telephone call to India??

Ta

Edited by wheels

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

According to their website the speed is varied by their system until there is a maximum speed reached without data loss, but that is 2 or 3 days not 2 weeks.

Broadband line speeds can be affected by the condition of the internal extension wiring.The bell wire can act like an antenna and pick up electrical interference,the more telephone extension sockets and electrical equiptment in the home,the greater the problem.

BT has developed a new filter called an I-Plate which it is claimed will solve this problem.

Broadband line speeds can be affected by the condition of the internal extension wiring.The bell wire can act like an antenna and pick up electrical interference,the more telephone extension sockets and electrical equiptment in the home,the greater the problem.

BT has developed a new filter called an I-Plate which it is claimed will solve this problem.

Funnily enough I stumbled across something about this the other day...

http://www.serif.com/forum/ViewThread.asp?Thread=41268&Numb=18

I have had similar problems and eventually after they ruled out my house (they even told me to unscrew my telephone connector box) an the contents therein... they sent a technician who climbed some telephone poles outside my house... then went to the exchange (3 miles away) and finally concluded that BT are knackered and yr speed is relative to the distance from the exchange and the quality of the wiring between you and the exchange...in a nutshell unless it is fibreoptic it aint worth Jack "you know what" and the technician knew it and left with the problem unresloved. Sorry to say that based on my experience you will never get Broadband speeds with your current set up and it isnt your fault, it is BTs and they cant do a thing about it unless they inject some massive infrastructure investment (sound familiar?) a bit like the old Victorian sewers or delapidated underground systems.... in short... consider going to Virgin Media if you can.. I will be when my 18 month contract expires!!! HTH

Edited by gjphilsaint
spelling.. what can i say i'm a teacher!!

I have had similar problems and eventually after they ruled out my house (they even told me to unscrew my telephone connector box) an the contents therein... they sent a technician who climbed some telephone poles outside my house... then went to the exchange (3 miles away) and finally concluded that BT are knackered and yr speed is relative to the distance from the exchange and the quality of the wiring between you and the exchange...in a nutshell unless it is fibreoptic it aint worth Jack "you know what" and the technician knew it and left with the problem unresloved. Sorry to say that based on my experience you will never get Broadband speeds with your current set up and it isnt your fault, it is BTs and they cant do a thing about it unless they inject some massive infrastructure investment (sound familiar?) a bit like the old Victorian sewers or delapidated underground systems.... in short... consider going to Virgin Media if you can.. I will be when my 18 month contract expires!!! HTH

He's right you know! Because all SKY, or anyone else for that matter, will do is use the same cables. I'm lucky, I'm on a new estate with all brand new ducts, cable etc which came direct from the exchange (half a mile away, about a mile in cable run) so when I jacked BT, far inferior service, I went to SKY. No problems here.

For those interested, the cable companies were frozen out when Barratt and Eastleigh Council 'did the deal' for all the estate services. Hence no cable on Park 21!