Chicago Saints - Man Utd game on Sun Sep 2 - recommended pub?

I'm in Chicago on Sunday Sept 2nd. Saints play Man Utd at 10am CT.

Anyone there recommend a pub to watch it in? A quick search shows a few places that will probably be showing it but just wondering if there is a favoured one? Especially one where there may be a few other Saints fans watching the game?

Fado Irish Bar - Clark and Grand, been a few years since we've been on TV regularly but get's a good exPat crowd. All the American's will support Man U so all the Brit's will be Saints fan's for the day.

I may see you there !

Sounds good. Nice and easy to get to off of the CTA. However they appear to charge $20 to watch the Irish sports (Hurling & Gaelic Football) and the MLS:

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/chicago/sports

If they charge $20 to watch a Prem game then there has got to be somewhere else. That's taking the p#ss (especially cos they'll be 4 of us).

See what happens. Wherever we end up watching it then definitely make an effort to come along. It would be good to meet up with some other Saints fans.

http://www.worldsoccerbars.com/chicago-soccer-bars

This has quite a few listed (including the Fado). I may phone around nearer the time to see what the deal is. Big screen? Sound on? Beer served? etc

A good write-up on this site saying how the so-called 'soccer pubs' will always feature the English Prem League (so it may be hard to find Spanish, Italian or German games on).

They don't actually say this but of course they will double feature it over anything else when it's Man Utd playing. Saints playing them that day is pretty handy actually. Should have no probs at all finding a place with it on.

I can handle Americans supporting the big Prem teams. Seeing as 99% of the country will never watch the English Prem at all - the ones that do are usually pretty knowledgable. I'll let them off being glory-supporter types. Hopefully the bars there ain't full of English non-Manc ex-pat Man Utd fans. They can swivel and that would suck. 'I used to live in Bristol but have always supported Man Utd' type of thing.

Anyone from Chicago ever go and watch the Fire? Any good? I don't mean the game as such but the whole day out and the atmosphere etc. I saw them take a good away support to Columbus the other week - and actually have their own away section. Looked good. American sports badly need promotion, relegation & segregation. At least that game had 1 of the 3....

Fado is the best football bar in town, depending on what channel it ends up on there's a whole bunch of other bars that are starting to show English football, no need to plan ahead. Depends where you want to be in the city, most of the other bars are in the north side of the city. Fado also has a great Irish Breakfast and Steve the barman is a Man City fan who likes to abuse Man U fans. If you want to go North side the Globe also get's a good crowd ($20 cab from the center of the city). The rest of the list may show the football but are not widely used that I know off. Small bar has closed, I think the Abbey was taken over but still shows football. Fado and the Globe will have sound on, multiple screens, big / small across multiple floors if needed.

The $20 charge is actaully the cable channel not the bar, if Fado are charging every bar in the city is charging, used to happen all the time when the games we're only on Setanta but it's very rare these days.

Great news about the pub in Chicago as we will be ovr that weekend.

I knew we would miss a game that weekend but hoped it would be an away game that we did not fancy. How gutted was I that it turned out to be Utd at home!

At least now we can watch it on the box and hopefully with a few other Saints fans.

We are staying in Downtown. Is the pub local to there or will we need to Cab or Subway?

• 1 month later...
A week Sunday. Anyone made any definite plans for this yet?

Where are you staying 'Big **** Last'?

We will be in Fado for the big game. Hopefully not watching a massacre!

We are staying in the Wyndham Blake, just few blocks from the pub.

Could be a messy day for me. Football all morning then Baseball all afternoon!

We will be in Fado for the big game. Hopefully not watching a massacre!

We are staying in the Wyndham Blake, just few blocks from the pub.

Could be a messy day for me. Football all morning then Baseball all afternoon!

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/chicago/sports has it listed now - looks like this will be place to head for. See you there. Could be interesting going round the pub and asking any Saints fans if they are 'big d#ck'.

I went to Wrigley a couple of weeks back as an away (Cincinnati Reds) fan. It is a good day out. We had tickets up top but after a while we walked down to the lower level behind home plate. You could stand at the back of the seats there. Once people started to leave around the 7th/8th inning you could easily grab an empty seat. It is a better view down there but worth $100 more a seat? Naah. If you are gonna drink all game then get cashed-up - you'll get through quite a bit.

If we get to Chicago early enough on Sat we may go to Wrigley again but realistically this prob won't happen. Anything you know of worth checking out on Sat evening? We may just be tourists and do a boat trip. See what happens...

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/chicago/sports has it listed now - looks like this will be place to head for. See you there. Could be interesting going round the pub and asking any Saints fans if they are 'big d#ck'.

I went to Wrigley a couple of weeks back as an away (Cincinnati Reds) fan. It is a good day out. We had tickets up top but after a while we walked down to the lower level behind home plate. You could stand at the back of the seats there. Once people started to leave around the 7th/8th inning you could easily grab an empty seat. It is a better view down there but worth $100 more a seat? Naah. If you are gonna drink all game then get cashed-up - you'll get through quite a bit.

If we get to Chicago early enough on Sat we may go to Wrigley again but realistically this prob won't happen. Anything you know of worth checking out on Sat evening? We may just be tourists and do a boat trip. See what happens...

I should make it amusing and watch you going round the pub asking people if they are Big ****!

I will make it easy for you though and tell you I will probably be wearing my green SFC T shirt.

Wrigley will be another ball park off of the list. I am a Cardinals fan so will be going into enemy territory!

We do not have anything planned for Saturday night but will probably keep it low key as Sunday will be a long one.

Hope there are a few of us in the pub to give it a good atmosphere.

See you then

COYR

I should make it amusing and watch you going round the pub asking people if they are Big ****!

I will make it easy for you though and tell you I will probably be wearing my green SFC T shirt.

Wrigley will be another ball park off of the list. I am a Cardinals fan so will be going into enemy territory!

We do not have anything planned for Saturday night but will probably keep it low key as Sunday will be a long one.

Hope there are a few of us in the pub to give it a good atmosphere.

See you then

COYR

You're a dirty, stinking Cards' fan? Right - time to find another pub to watch the game in!

You seen what the early game is on Sunday? Arsenal v Lpool. Could mean the place is already packed by the time we get there. At least any of them who stay should be wanting Saints to win.

You been to Chicago before? You can easily walk around downtown (The Loop area as it is known) & obviously there's tons of cabs. The CTA (tube/bus) is pretty good. You get 24 hours unlimited for $5.75:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/unlimitedridecards.aspx

Strangely most stations don't sell these passes. You often have to buy them from a nearby shop. The Red (goes to Wrigley) & Blue lines are 24 hours. Works well.

Yeah - a quiet Saturday night is planned. Theory & practice are 2 different things though.

Fado Irish Bar - Clark and Grand, been a few years since we've been on TV regularly but get's a good exPat crowd. All the American's will support Man U so all the Brit's will be Saints fan's for the day.

I may see you there !

You coming down the pub on Sunday morning then ChicagoChivs? I think it has to be done.

The Fado worked well. Lots of screens and the commentary turned up.

They don't sell beer til 10am on a Sunday so had to wait til kick off to have a beer.

Was free to get in. $20 to go upstairs to watch the Gaelic Football. Managed to resist that one.

Good to meet you BDL. Hope the rest of your trip goes well and the offer is there if you are over this way again...

• 2 weeks later...