Schneiderlin

ALWAYS_SFC

Apologies if it has been done before but,

We are apparently very short of money at SFC and are being told by the

men in power that the "high" earners as they are called have to be sold yet

we purchase a, as yet unproven player for what i believe is £1.5 million,

how can we do this if we are so short of cash?

Is the moving on of so called "high earners" going to pay for it?

What happens if we don`t sell enough of them?

I have my own theory as follows,

It has been said that the above mentioned player was wanted by several

bigger clubs than ourselves so i believe Mr lowe and co are looking to sell on to make a profit when good money is offered,good business yes! but not if you have little left of equal quality to replace him.

Just thought i would ask what you all think?

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

bigger clubs than ourselves so i believe Mr lowe and co are looking to sell on to make a profit when good money is offered,good business yes! but not if you have little left of equal quality to replace him.

It's "rising to 1.5 million Euros" as far as I know. Probably a lot on international appearances needed to reach that figure. Georges Prost told us to sign him and we did, might never have strayed from the straight and narrow if Prost was still here, he had a way of "pistoning" his young hopefuls into the first team. Perhaps he'll be back soon, don't know how long Puel will want him around at Lyon, difficult guy to work with is Puel-apparently.

Edited by Window Cleaner

It was a lot less than £1.5m. It could rise eventually to 1.5m EUROS (which at today's rate is about £1.17m).

Its quite possible than Spiderman will be sold at some point, especially if he does well. There is nothing wrong with investing with an eye to a future profit.

I don't know for certain, but most, if nto all players signed whilst Lowe has been chairmen, have always been on the basis of a small initial fee with further payments to be made over time, depending on milestones being reached, so the initial purchase price was probably very low.

We've done it for years and it's a very successful way of doing things IMO. Ultimately, if he does well, he'll probably move on, but that's life unless we get back to the Prem (and towards the top half), because that's what happens.

Enjoy him and support whilst he's here and doing his best for us. Beyond that, it's all conjecture.

"Lowe is no fool" very debatable :)

I think as others have stated he most likely has a major sell on clause, something in the 50%+ region. The fee itself will probably be broken down into small payments i.e 250k up front, then the rest in add ons. We could of used the money that all the CCC clubs got from the new tv deal (this was 300k?).

He is here on a 2 year deal and i think realisticly we will sell him next summer if he has a good season. We would not risk losing him for nothing. The only other option is to sign him to a longer contract and if things go bad this year i am unsure if he would want to stay. A lot of if's/buts but i'd hazard a guess we would need to sell him for 3m to make any profit. Obviously that is just a total guess. I hope we keep him as him and Davies could be the starting building blocks to a better future.

If you believe some stories apparently he is already confirmed as transfering from us to Arsenal at the end of his contract.

This would make sense and I think it is true but we are likely to get confirmation until he moves to the Emirates in 2 or 3 years. I would like to know whether the fee has been agreed but I expect it has and we will just get our money back. The Walcott deal being renegotiated has got something to do with all this I would also speculate. Like it or not we are now a feeder club to the big boys.

Spiderman has huge potential and whatever deal has been struck I'm sure we will eventually gain ! Let's face it, if he does well for us this season then we will have probably done well also ! If he gets sold on then we'll benefit ! As long as he performs I cannot see a lose/lose situation for the Saints !

This would make sense and I think it is true but we are likely to get confirmation until he moves to the Emirates in 2 or 3 years. I would like to know whether the fee has been agreed but I expect it has and we will just get our money back. The Walcott deal being renegotiated has got something to do with all this I would also speculate. Like it or not we are now a feeder club to the big boys.

As if we haven't always been. Even mid Prem clubs are feeder clubs for the big boys.

The realities of the CCC are that either -

a) he does very well and gets sold

b) he does very well and we're promoted

c) he doesn't do so well and so we can keep him.

why on earth do some people seem to want it to be c? he's a good player. he's either going to help us on the pitch or at some stage, bring us in some profit. cheer up.

Indeed, win - win.

I think people may have a problem just because Lowe signed him and it seems it was just to make a few quid. Personally I think it's a spot on idea. If he's good enough which I think it is we simply can't go wrong.

so up to 1.5 million euros - so probably a couple of hundred thousand £s up front

an 18 year old French international

recommended by Georges Prost to us and us to him

signed a 4 year deal

will more than likely be sold to a bigger club in the premiership in a season or two for a lot more money than that

sounds like a great deal to me

certainly a far cry from the Rasiak, Euell, John, Skacel, Viafara and Saganowski deals then

Actually he signed a 4 year deal

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=10251

That looks decidedly like the same website that announced in May that the arrival of Poortvielt was a signed-and-sealed deal only for us to find out less than 24 hours later that it was nothing of the sort. Not that I'm suggesting for one minute that said website would deliberately be ecconomical with the truth.

It was a lot less than £1.5m. It could rise eventually to 1.5m EUROS (which at today's rate is about £1.17m).

Its quite possible than Spiderman will be sold at some point, especially if he does well. There is nothing wrong with investing with an eye to a future profit.

Question - if the exchange rate changes drastically, will that effect the amount of £s we pay?

So if we are grooming him for Arsenal, then profit aside down the track, why did they not buy him and then loan him to us if we're that short of cash right now? if we pay 1.5mil for him then he'd have to eventually be re-sold for at least 3 mil in a couple years for the value if we haven't made the premiership. No point investing in foreign talent if they're only going to keep us treading water in the ccc.

Indeed. Look how quickly Keane and Barry wanted to leave there mid table clubs for Liverpool.

It's the way football works sadly, there isn't any loyalty anymore.

and Man U a feeder club for the bigger european clubs -Ronaldo, Van Nistleroy;)

Indeed. Look how quickly Keane and Barry wanted to leave there mid table clubs for Liverpool.

It's the way football works sadly, there isn't any loyalty anymore.

Keane at Tottenham - 6 years

Barry at Villa - 10 years

I reckon that is anything but 'quickly' and that they gave loyal service to their clubs.

Stop using cliches.

Can't see anythign wrong with this deal - Didn't he himself say he came to Saints as he knew he would be playing with the new 'youth policy'.

As I see it - thast the be all and end all - He is a Saint ! and a Saint at a bargain price.

I think its Georges Prost we should be thanking - not Lowe we should be questioning

Originally thought it was a deal with Liverpool but subsequently came to the opinion it is for Arsenal. The connection with Wenger and Strasbourg and Mr Lowe with Arsenal.

BUT, whatever whilst he is at Saints, we can only rejoice as he is a great young player who will only get better and that must suit us.

Indeed, win - win.

I think people may have a problem just because Lowe signed him and it seems it was just to make a few quid. Personally I think it's a spot on idea. If he's good enough which I think it is we simply can't go wrong.

It's win -win from the point of view that we benefit from having him here and then get loadsamoney from selling him if he turns out to be a great signing and the top clubs are vying to sign him.

But sorry to put a dampener on it, but there is a downside potentially. If the financial situation was normal, i.e. we're more or less solvent, then the monies raised would ideally go towards replacements of a quality that Scneiderlin demonstrated when he was signed. In other words another player who could be developed to sell on at a profit later. But will this be what happens, or will the money be ploughed straight into reducing the outstanding debt leaving us a bit better off financially, but worse off from the team's perspective?

It's win -win from the point of view that we benefit from having him here and then get loadsamoney from selling him if he turns out to be a great signing and the top clubs are vying to sign him.

But sorry to put a dampener on it, but there is a downside potentially. If the financial situation was normal, i.e. we're more or less solvent, then the monies raised would ideally go towards replacements of a quality that Scneiderlin demonstrated when he was signed. In other words another player who could be developed to sell on at a profit later. But will this be what happens, or will the money be ploughed straight into reducing the outstanding debt leaving us a bit better off financially, but worse off from the team's perspective?[/QUOTE]

In either case we cannot lose so try not to worry too much about it !

But sorry to put a dampener on it, but there is a downside potentially. If the financial situation was normal, i.e. we're more or less solvent, then the monies raised would ideally go towards replacements of a quality that Scneiderlin demonstrated when he was signed. In other words another player who could be developed to sell on at a profit later. But will this be what happens, or will the money be ploughed straight into reducing the outstanding debt leaving us a bit better off financially, but worse off from the team's perspective?[/QUOTE]

In either case we cannot lose so try not to worry too much about it !

I don't know how you can read what I said and conclude that we cannot lose either way. If the football side of things suffers, then that way lies relegation.

Keane at Tottenham - 6 years

Barry at Villa - 10 years

I reckon that is anything but 'quickly' and that they gave loyal service to their clubs.

Stop using cliches.

Exactly they where there for ages and as soon as a Champions league club came along they wanted out straight away.

Source?

If the Spiderman is as good as is being trumpeted then it's a good piece of business (as per Rebel's comments) but don't expect him to be around too long.

If you hadn't snipped my post when quoting you would have had the source. Its on the OS, of course some people don't believe a word thats written on the OS but thats another story... Most of these contracts can be checked elsewhere but I can't really be arsed. I tend to take people at face value until proved otherwise. Life is too short to check everything you read when really it doesn't matter much in most cases.

Exactly they where there for ages and as soon as a Champions league club came along they wanted out straight away.

Think in both cases, the draw was only partly to do with Champs League, more to do with the fact that both supported Liverpool as kids, as I understand it. This will become more of a factor in years to come as nearly all kids support Liverpool, Arse, Manure or Chelski, and if they become top players with a choice of where to go they will seek out a move to the club they followed as a kid. Bit like when Hoddle left us for Spuds, to return to "his spiritual home", he probably wouldn't have dumped us for any other team.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but it doesn't really fit in with being completely skint like the club are telling us. We could afford to hire Pearson as manager, like we could afford some of our high earners - it's just how Lowe chooses to use the money.

Spiderman might get injured, not be as good as first thought or just not like England and sulk until he goes for nothing - there is no such thing as a guaranteed return. We are in a position to gamble £1mill Euros on an untried foreign player, no club on the verge of administration could do that.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but it doesn't really fit in with being completely skint like the club are telling us. We could afford to hire Pearson as manager, like we could afford some of our high earners - it's just how Lowe chooses to use the money.

Spiderman might get injured, not be as good as first thought or just not like England and sulk until he goes for nothing - there is no such thing as a guaranteed return. We are in a position to gamble £1mill Euros on an untried foreign player, no club on the verge of administration could do that.

In light of the fact that we have a whole season ahead of us, I wish the negative posters would just slash their wrists now and get it over with? The thought of a whole season with the negative's lashing out at everything from the pies to Lowe and everything in between really doesn't bear thinking of.

As for me, I will support the team.

He is a very very good player in middle but not at the back where he played first half tonight. Second back in the middle with Gillet and Lallana in front of them things started to happen. I think he will be a big player for us.

Two full games in 4 days could be quite a task for an 18 year old adjusting to a different type of football though.

Two full games in 4 days could be quite a task for an 18 year old adjusting to a different type of football though.

Shhhhh !!! If you dare to suggest in these parts that anchoring your entire midfield round an 18 year-old is even slightly risky, you get accused of being negative, get taken the p*ss out of, and get put on peoples ignore lists to a fanfare accompanyment !!!

Shhhhh !!! If you dare to suggest in these parts that anchoring your entire midfield round an 18 year-old is even slightly risky, you get accused of being negative, get taken the p*ss out of, and get put on peoples ignore lists to a fanfare accompanyment !!!

Didn't suggest it was risky Alpine, suggested it was a toughish task for the lad

particularily due to the change of style in the football. He'll do just great but the first ten games or so might be a bit saw edged.

In light of the fact that we have a whole season ahead of us, I wish the negative posters would just slash their wrists now and get it over with? The thought of a whole season with the negative's lashing out at everything from the pies to Lowe and everything in between really doesn't bear thinking of.

As for me, I will support the team.

The post made by aintforever seemed perfectly well reasoned to me. He was only trying to inject a bit of realism into the current situation. If others find it unpalateable to be reminded that we are apparently deeply in the sh*t financially and that it is possible that there is no silver lining to the cloud, then I hope that their eternal optimism doesn't lead them to some bitter disappointment further down the line.