XCOM: Enemy Unknown

tombletomble

Tried the demo yesterday, the combat parts were interesting but the build up your base reminded me of those similar Peace Walker bits which didn't interest me at all.

AC3, Hitman and Dishonored are all out soon plus Fifa was just release so ill probably pick this up when its bargain basement. I didn't play the original and can't quite see what the big deal is to be honest!

Edited by DG

• 2 weeks later...

I find this very addictive even if a little buggy on the camera angles at times. I loved the original and think this is a big improvement. The cinematic scenes are a bit cheesy but I'm not sure if that's what they were going for. It's very upsetting when you lose one of your best squad members. Great atmosphere in combat and gets you a bit nervous.

This game has taken over my life. Right now, I'm taking the cheater's approach, resurrecting most of my downed troops via the power of PREVIOUSLY SAVED GAMES :)

FWIW, think it's better than the originals. Far less d!cking about. Back in the day, something as simple as opening a door correctly was a precision operation. The UI changes have been very welcome indeed, with the only odd thing being the use of the mousewheel to change elevation. I've cocked that up a few times and sent people to premature death.

Bit buggy too, although might just be my machine. There's an issue on the squad select screen, just before the mission. If you happen to double-click on a weapon you already have equipped, an unclosable dialog pops up, which is fun. Also seen issues with aliens coming into play. Bunged one of those sniper battle detectors into a room full of aliens, immediately launched rockets at the feckers only to discover that they weren't officially taking damage :(

I'm working my way through the game on medium. A lot of things have just started to "pop" all at once. Think I got The Foundry, Psionic Labs and Firestorm at around the same time. Australia have left the XCOM program. That's ok. The aliens can have them.

My game of the year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came to this party a little late. I just got this today, after 30 mins playing on the PC my brother was off down to get it for himself too.

Cracking game, really interesting the way it makes you think of every action you take with your guys, and the feeling of loss when a 30+ kill sniper gets flanked from a really obvious position is nothing I have known in a game before.

Playing on a decent PC with settings on high, side by side with the xbox version there really is no comparison, PC is such a better looking platform.

This is an awesome game.

If you are only interested in "mind blowing" graphics then it probably isn't for you.

The graphics are perfectly good if unspectuacular but it excels at the imersive game play.

My tip is to play on "ironman" (so that you can't reload from an old save if a mission goes bad), and always re-name each of your recruits. It adds to the emotional attachment and the highs and lows of their promotion/survival/death.

• 1 month later...
Although it would appear that no one is interested I just thought I would let people know that the console versions of the demo where released today. The PC demo is also available via steam.

If you haven't heard of this game I do recommend checking it out.

Thanks for the heads up tombletomble, even though it was late for me. Not as good as the original in the build the base, and no alien attach on the base, but the upgrade on the combat is a great improvement. The allocation of roles though is a bit **** poor, i think.

Still good game though.

• 1 month later...