were you at the Dell

OldNick

On the day when the RAF dog team were doing a display. it got to the bit when a bloke runs onto the pitch for the dog to chase and bring down.Anyway the bloke runs onto the pitch and a local Bobby thought he was a pitch invader and went onto the pitch to arrest him.

I remember he was cheered for the rest of the day as he walked around the pitch.

............................................................................I guess you had to be there nickh

You're back thank the lord, the general IQ on here had got to an alarming height, now that has been reduced with your appearance.

Where have you been? Ive almost missed you.

I was there but no further comment because i will be accused of living in the past

don't worry Mike, get him on a story about a tank or something and he'll spend hours talking about it.

As for that event with the RAF dog team, it was one of the funniest things I have seen at a game.

don't worry Mike, get him on a story about a tank or something and he'll spend hours talking about it.

As for that event with the RAF dog team, it was one of the funniest things I have seen at a game.

me to, problem is because it was not captured on film my 2 sons do not find it funny, but they do laugh when i say we used to have to get in the ground 2/3 hours before kick off, go my bus , stand on a box etc

me to' date=' problem is because it was not captured on film my 2 sons do not find it funny, but they do laugh when i say we used to have to get in the ground 2/3 hours before kick off, go my bus , stand on a box etc[/quote']We (brother and myself) used to go to the Archers and queue from about 10-11 in morning outside ground until turnstiles opened so we could get right to front behind goal. Great memories, our kids have had it soft.

We (brother and myself) used to go to the Archers and queue from about 10-11 in morning outside ground until turnstiles opened so we could get right to front behind goal.

I used to go to the Bedford until ten to three and arrive just as the game was kicking off. I think I must be a bad fan :(

I remember he was cheered for the rest of the day as he walked around the pitch.

I also remember him responding to applause from the east stand with a cheery wave.All good natured etc.I heard a few years later that he'd been bollocked by his officers for this as he 'wasn't fully concentrating' and attending to his duties.

Before my time.

However I do remember Vinnie Jones (I think) sending a member of the Sally Army band flying with an (accidental?) badly placed hoof pre-match.

David Speedie's choke-hold on the sit-down protestor was a classic too.

On the day when the RAF dog team were doing a display. it got to the bit when a bloke runs onto the pitch for the dog to chase and bring down.Anyway the bloke runs onto the pitch and a local Bobby thought he was a pitch invader and went onto the pitch to arrest him.

If i remember rightly he was walking around the touch line afterwards signing autographs.

I think the guy on the tannoy also announced that it was a training excercise, please let the man go. (or something like that)

If i remember rightly he was walking around the touch line afterwards signing autographs.

I think the guy on the tannoy also announced that it was a training excercise, please let the man go. (or something like that)

Thats right I forgot about the bloke on the tannoy. Priceless

It was well before that picture , it was before either end had been developed.

Nick it was in the days when I would have been stood under The Toomers Choco Box doing a good old Knees up Muver Brown. I was there that day and it was as funny as **** but words can't tell the story you had to see it to understand how funny it was.

Nick it was in the days when I would have been stood under The Toomers Choco Box doing a good old Knees up Muver Brown. I was there that day and it was as funny as **** but words can't tell the story you had to see it to understand how funny it was.

You are right, nut isnt it funny I doubt we could recall a game of that season but the memory of that Policemans actions was priceless.Dont forget the bloke who he thought had run onto the pitch fired a gun as well, and the Copper really showed some guts.

I used to go to the Bedford until ten to three and arrive just as the game was kicking off. I think I must be a bad fan :(

Certainly were, you couldn't have possibly had time for a **** before kick off and

probably needed to go after about 20 minutes thus disrupting the game or everybody in the vicinity.We used to leave the BP Hotel at 2.31prompt, run down to the bus stop, jump on the number 14 as it pulled up,off at Stag Gates,

yomp down to the Milton,pay at the gate, quick ****,push our way into the mass behind the goal about half way up and bingo -kick off.

I'm trying to work out what's going on in the picture - it looks like Saints have a free kick on the edge of the area. But there's no sign of the opposition keeper?

Any idea Gecko?

Maybe the half time whistle has just gone, after a corner?

Actually, thinking about it some more it looks like it might be the final whistle, as the away fans coaches are lined up in Archers Road.

Edited by Scummer

Couldn't have been that early, I didn't start going until 75.
It had to be before that as I recall.I have a feeling someone on Saintsforever put up an Echo clipping of the event and it was early 70's

Perhaps Duncan Holley will be best informed to give us the correct year?

It had to be before that as I recall.I have a feeling someone on Saintsforever put up an Echo clipping of the event and it was early 70's

Perhaps Duncan Holley will be best informed to give us the correct year?

I'll have a wager with you that it wasn't. Or how about a forfiet ? Lets say if I am right, you have to respond with agreement to all of Alpine Saints posts for a whole week.

Come on Duncan, put us out of our misery.

Maybe the half time whistle has just gone, after a corner?

Actually, thinking about it some more it looks like it might be the final whistle, as the away fans coaches are lined up in Archers Road.

Not sure about that - you've got the obvious 'wall' still lined up in the penalty area along with the Saints players lurking just outside the box ready to charge in once the kick is taken.

You could be right about it being close to the final whistle though.

Before my time.

However I do remember Vinnie Jones (I think) sending a member of the Sally Army band flying with an (accidental?) badly placed hoof pre-match.

David Speedie's choke-hold on the sit-down protestor was a classic too.

LOL - benjii - can you tell us a bit more about the Speedie incident? I don't remember that one!

Could be even later. The shop on the corner where the old Travel Club used to be is not there. There are cars parked on the site.

I don't think the roof went on the Archers Road end until about 1991 or 92,did it ?

And no roof over the Milton Road end yet,which was also early 1990's,(93 ?).

I'll have a wager with you that it wasn't. Or how about a forfiet ? Lets say if I am right, you have to respond with agreement to all of Alpine Saints posts for a whole week.

Come on Duncan, put us out of our misery.

Iwont shy away from a wager, but the stakes are too high for me..to agree with Alpine for a week is too much for me.Im gonna e-mail Duncan

Iwont shy away from a wager, but the stakes are too high for me..to agree with Alpine for a week is too much for me.Im gonna e-mail Duncan

I started going the season after relegation 75 I think it was. I'm sure I was at that match so it must of been after 75, probably 77 or 78

Think people may be talking about different things. I reckon the picture of The Dell was from the last home game in 93/4 when we stuffed Villa 4-1 and they broke the cross bar. Milton End was packed out as it was the last day of Milton Rd terrace.

The RAF incident was before my time, but having read about it a lot, I think it was between 77-79

Think people may be talking about different things. I reckon the picture of The Dell was from the last home game in 93/4 when we stuffed Villa 4-1 and they broke the cross bar. Milton End was packed out as it was the last day of Milton Rd terrace.

The RAF incident was before my time, but having read about it a lot, I think it was between 77-79

its definately before that time.

I think it was half-time against Hull in the 76-77 season unless I'm getting my dog-display shows mixed up.

It was a crap game, the pitch was a mud-bath and Saints were 2-1 down at half-time. I remember some bloke in front of me giving Lawrie Mac a load of stick about the first half performance as he was walking from the dug-out. LM stopped & stared, looking like he was about to pull a baseball bat out from under that leather coat thing he used to wear. Crowd goes silent, LM moves on, crowd cracks up. Can't imagine JP resacting like that somehow.

I'm convinced the dog display was on 11th November 1978 v Norwich.

Have just looked the date of the fixture up in ITN but no mention of the halftime spectacular.

i cant believe that being the case as I was in the Archers of the day I mention and I know I was going with my matyes under the West stand as late as 1978.

I still think it was early 70's

i cant believe that being the case as I was in the Archers of the day I mention and I know I was going with my matyes under the West stand as late as 1978.

I still think it was early 70's

I think you will find it is 74/75 Nick.