USA - NBC to get Prem games next season

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/sports/soccer/premier-league-deal-gives-nbc-380-soccer-games.html

I don't like this quote:

“There will be live, exclusive games, and we’re not going to tape delay any of them,” said Mark Lazarus, the chairman of the NBC Sports Group. “Multiple games go on at once, and we can’t carry every one on our networks. But we won’t regionalize games.”

No delayed games? Be-ollox as an American would say...

Hmmm - the end for Fox Soccer? NBC getting involved in sport always fills me with dread. Presumably, NBC won't be interested in the FL so would be good to see Fox Soccer expand their coverage, otherwise I can't see NBC picking up the Championship and L1 games that Fox Soccer have in the last few years.

Will be interesting to see the model NBC propose for online/PPV etc. Might have to keep cable after all. :cry:

There's quite a lot of talk about the NBC deal - I think this is about as much info as you can get at the moment (ie nobody really knows for sure what is going to happen)

http://epltalk.com/2012/10/28/14-things-we-know-so-far-about-nbcs-us-coverage-plans-for-the-premier-league-2013-16/

BeIN has the Championship nowadays ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeIN_Sport )

Assuming NBC shows all the live UK games then it would mainly be the Sat 3pm games that the question is over. Currently we see Saints live or on short delay. With the short delays gone then what will the deal be to be able to see any of these 3pm games? Hopefully they'll give a TV option - not just online. A subscription channel (like Fox Soccer Plus) with options to choose your game? Or PPV options?

So just what Prem team will first play a real game in the USA then? Once the 'oh no that can't happen' reaction calmed down the people who do the books would probably like the idea. 'Saints' v 'Man Utd' at the 82,500 Met Life Stadium in New York? $80 a ticket and it would sell out easily. Money talks. I can see it happening in the not too distant future...

Don't like the sound of this at all.

I like things the way they are. I also like delayed games. I like to watch Sky Sports News too - not sure where this leaves Fox. They'll have to slash their rates (even if they're able to take back Championship games)

Of course every cloud.... If we are relegated and Fox take back Champ games (and more of them), reduce their price, that would work.

My big issue is that NBC are taking charge of this, as they did for the Olympics.....

Don't like the sound of this at all.

I like things the way they are. I also like delayed games. I like to watch Sky Sports News too - not sure where this leaves Fox. They'll have to slash their rates (even if they're able to take back Championship games)

Of course every cloud.... If we are relegated and Fox take back Champ games (and more of them), reduce their price, that would work.

My big issue is that NBC are taking charge of this, as they did for the Olympics.....

was that NBC that did not show the 100m final, live..?

The very same.

And the same NBC which threw ads in the middle of the Olympic football games, coming back, missing goals and pretending nothing happened.

And the same NBC that cover half the screen with crappy promo idents for their other shows and/or sponsors etc etc etc

This is really sh!t news AFAIAC and will push back the growth of the game in the USA.

NBC don't give a toss about any sports event, they only care about the $$$. Nothing else matters to them.

I've already seen more SFC games this season than I did the whole of last. It's great. I despise Fox (moreso Murdoch, Roger Ailes, et al) but they do know how to show 'soccer'. ESPN too. NBC will not have a clue.

And the same NBC which threw ads in the middle of the Olympic football games, coming back, missing goals and pretending nothing happened.

And the same NBC that cover half the screen with crappy promo idents for their other shows and/or sponsors etc etc etc

This is really sh!t news AFAIAC and will push back the growth of the game in the USA.

NBC don't give a toss about any sports event, they only care about the $$$. Nothing else matters to them.

I've already seen more SFC games this season than I did the whole of last. It's great. I despise Fox (moreso Murdoch, Roger Ailes, et al) but they do know how to show 'soccer'. ESPN too. NBC will not have a clue.

Yep, been impressed with ESPN. Ian Darke and Macca (although I don't like them that much) at least know what to do, professionally.

I can see the days of Max Bretos et el commentary style blaring through my living room again....no ****ing thanks!

This is all speculation though isn't it....?