Newcastle - flying

saintrich

I was thinking of flying to Newcastle Friday morn and come back Sunday lunchtime, but the cheapest I can find is £198 per person (return).

I'm sure I've seen people fly there for £70 odd before?

You don't want to do that, considering the game will be played Sunday afternoon.

FlyBe normally are quite pricey. Imagine you could do it for under half of that if you go from a London Airport or Bristol. But by the time you've messed around getting to the airport and all the hassle that entails going through them, it would probably be quicker to get the rattler.
BA from Heathrow were circa £100 the other day, as you say, may as well get the train once you've worked it all out.

When I was about 22 and wet behind the ears, I flew to a stag do in Newcastle via Stansted as I didn't drive and it was cheap. What a moron. The only good thing was the stag's best man was head of security for Babyshambles and Pete Docherty was there with us. Nutter, proper entertainment and knew/ knows his football from what I remember.

That is 100% our game on the Sunday then do we think? Think il book my trains.

It definately will not be Saturday due to them playing Thursday

Sky have already chosen Sunday lunchtike and Monday night game

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html

So will have to be sunday

Only thing to be decided is KO time as far as I can see most likeley 3PM

I would think

Just shows how Flybe have SOU trapped in time and progress. All they're achieving with their monopoly position and pricing of flights is that when it finally backfires and the South Hampshire folk decide to go to London/Bournemouth/Bristol as most of them already do for their travelling, BAA won't have too much mercy at a sleepy, horrifically loss-making airport.

• 2 weeks later...
It's the Carling Cup final on 24 Feb. Any chance of that affecting the KO time; i.e. lunchtime rather than 3pm?

Could do, but no guarantee. I'm sure there have been league games played at the same time as the league cup final in previous years, especially when it follows a European midweek.

Why hasn't this been moved yet when it seems a formality that it will be?

I want to get on and book a hotel for say and sun night to get a decent rate... I am guessing this is a safe bet to get on and do?

I've booked the Saturday night with return trains. Lastminute.com were doing a relatively decent deal on the Jurys Inn a week or so ago.

Could do, but no guarantee. I'm sure there have been league games played at the same time as the league cup final in previous years, especially when it follows a European midweek.

There have, last season there was a Prem match (Stoke v Swansea) being played at the same time as the League Cup Final.

I've booked the Saturday night with return trains. Lastminute.com were doing a relatively decent deal on the Jurys Inn a week or so ago.

I'm booked in a hotel sat and sun night.

Wish I hadn't delayed now as the total price went up £60 overnight for the 3 rooms I booked!

had a look on Newcastle's website and noticed it is only £20 for Reading fans in a couple of weeks , 1600 allocation and doesn't appear to be special one off price, so hopefully the same for us. if saints away coaches do a deal £30 or under I might just be tempted to head up there for this one.

If anyone living further up north was considering getting a train up on the Sunday morning then it's worth noting that there's the dreaded bus replacement between Darlo and Newcastle - I'm sticking to the car accordingly...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.html?nojs=true&action=true&txtTravelDate=24%2F02%2F2013&toc= (4th from the bottom)

So no definitive reason in the end as to why they waited until now to confirm the date change? Very odd.

If anyone living further up north was considering getting a train up on the Sunday morning then it's worth noting that there's the dreaded bus replacement between Darlo and Newcastle - I'm sticking to the car accordingly...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.html?nojs=true&action=true&txtTravelDate=24%2F02%2F2013&toc= (4th from the bottom)

So no definitive reason in the end as to why they waited until now to confirm the date change? Very odd.

Booked from Sheffield and unfortunately will be on one of those buses! Wold have been much easier if the game was just at 15:00.

Can't work out what they are saying re engineering work. Booked on 845am from King's Cross and National Rail Enquiries says hourly train from York on divert. It still doesn't say there is any issue with my train (albeit its a slightly longer journey than the others later in teh day) so should I be worried?

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets on sale next week:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/newcastle-tickets-on-sale-next-week-623935.aspx

Firstly to 5 away ST's then 3 Away ST then Just ST's, then general release.

Ive got a ST been to three away games (Man City ,Arsenal and Villa) but only two qualify as I was on a corparate do at Villa, as I've already booked my flights I would be keen to know what chance anyone thinks I have of getting a ticket.

Tickets on sale next week:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/newcastle-tickets-on-sale-next-week-623935.aspx

Firstly to 5 away ST's then 3 Away ST then Just ST's, then general release.

Ive got a ST been to three away games (Man City ,Arsenal and Villa) but only two qualify as I was on a corparate do at Villa, as I've already booked my flights I would be keen to know what chance anyone thinks I have of getting a ticket.

Any ST holder will be able to get a ticket IMO!