A Polite Request

Huffton

OK, this will doubtless get laughed at, and derided, but here we go anyway...

Can we refrain from using words like 'mong' and 'spaz'.

Ive noticed lately these becoming ever more prevalent on here, and to be perfectly honest I think we can do a lot better. As most of you are (hopefully) aware said words are used as a derogatory term to describe people with mental illness or learning difficulties. Every day of my working life I come into contact with people who have mental health issues, one of them Paralympian, all of them inspirational in dealing with their issues. Some of them are Saints fans and may well read/contribute to this board.

Its a given that racist/homophobic etc abuse is a no-no, so why should this be any different.

Please could some of you think before posting, and show a bit more class when hurling insults at one another.

Thanks.

Another expression is 'cretin' which people think is acceptable - look up the etymology of that word.

Christ if I'm having to look up the egyptology it really can't be that bad! Can't you just assume people mean the common modern usage rather than what it used to mean when Cleopatra used it?

I've seen people use the term 'wet fanny' on here wen describing alps or some other posters. Now wet fanny doesn't sound nice to me, not at all.

The standards of some people. My good lady ex wife never had less than a bone dry one in all the time we were together.

Just 21 posts in and as usual the thread has descended into base humour. I tend to agree with the OP and the nature of some of the replies on here re-enforces the opinion. However, I think the OP needs to also recognise that an internet football forum is not likely to be a place to find rational and adult written word, so trying to appeal to certain posters (ref above), will be like trying to pee in a proverbial storm.

Just 21 posts in and as usual the thread has descended into base humour. I tend to agree with the OP and the nature of some of the replies on here re-enforces the opinion. However, I think the OP needs to also recognise that an internet football forum is not likely to be a place to find rational and adult written word, so trying to appeal to certain posters (ref above), will be like trying to pee in a proverbial storm.

Spaz

In all seriousness, I can see the ops point, however this in not America (thankfully) and we are not super sensative. The reason I would be against banning any word, is that they are just words and the meaning of words change in the modern venacular than in cleopatra times (tm Bearsy 2012) and if you ban one word, where do you draw the line?

Let's say to start with you can no longer say:

Spaz

Mong

Retard

Dumb

Looney

Mental

psycho

Nutter

Because they all have origins in mental health problems. Then what next?

No sexuality based names? No bastards as it doubts people parentage? Soon bed setters will be banned as it brings back bad memories for Turkish.

Before you know It, you'll be saying follically challenged instead of bald, someone will say Clyne is short and be infracted for not saying vertically challenged. That is not a world I want to live in, let's leave that to the yanks.

Whilst I respect the sentiments of the op he must remember that this is a football forum. Mong and Spaz are terms that are offensive of people with learning disabilities and other disabilities. Your average person would understand and respect that. In my experience the noisy minority on this forum are like the vocal minority at matches, ie they make lots of noise regardless of what the reasonable majority think.

If your post contains personal insults you should probably take it as a sign that you don't need to post it. All the threads that gradually descend to personal insults are very boring to read.

I agree with OP. The particular words mentioned are clearly offensive and should count as an infraction and a step towards a ban, in the same way that racist or homophobic ones do.

Whilst I respect the sentiments of the op he must remember that this is a football forum. Mong and Spaz are terms that are offensive of people with learning disabilities and other disabilities. Your average person would understand and respect that. In my experience the noisy minority on this forum are like the vocal minority at matches, ie they make lots of noise regardless of what the reasonable majority think.

Did you ever chant psycho at a match or call someone a nutter or say they are mental or crazy?

In all seriousness, I can see the ops point, however this in not America (thankfully) and we are not super sensative. The reason I would be against banning any word, is that they are just words and the meaning of words change in the modern venacular than in cleopatra times (tm Bearsy 2012) and if you ban one word, where do you draw the line?

Spaz

Mong

Retard

Dumb

Looney

Mental

psycho

Nutter

No sexuality based names? No bastards as it doubts people parentage? Soon bed setters will be banned as it brings back bad memories for Turkish.

Before you know It, you'll be saying follically challenged instead of bald, someone will say Clyne is short and be infracted for not saying vertically challenged. That is not a world I want to live in, let's leave that to the yanks.

But Tokyo its where a line gets drawn. If you described someone in conversation as a spaz or mong its offensive. Pyscho or nutter isn't.

Bald isn't an offensive term on its own. Neither is fat, or short. Sadly I'm all 3 of them but neither term is offensive. My sister on the other hand has learning disabilities. If we met and you asked after my mong or spaz sister words would be had.

Spaz

Mong

Retard

Dumb

Looney

Mental

psycho

Nutter

Prehaps we could have a brain storm, sorry, I mean thought shower and come up with some words that are and aren't acceptable.

We could maybe come up with some wacky alternatives like mung for mong, Spuz of spaz.

I also suggest we burn the following cities and towns

BLACKBURN blatantly racist

BLACKPOOL see Blackburn

Burnley - does any called Lee really need to be burned?

Weston Super Mare - implies anyone from there cant cope with life - ie 'having a mare'

Manchester, Mansfield and the district of Mansbridge - blatant sexism.

But Tokyo its where a line gets drawn. If you described someone in conversation as a spaz or mong its offensive. Pyscho or nutter isn't.

Bald isn't an offensive term on its own. Neither is fat, or short. Sadly I'm all 3 of them but neither term is offensive. My sister on the other hand has learning disabilities. If we met and you asked after my mong or spaz sister words would be had.

Says who? People get depression because they are bald. Have you ever watched the biggest loser? A competition with a 'joke' name where fat people are mocked to embarrassed into losing weight, have you seen them cry on there? Whilst we laugh and call it entertainment these people are suffering traumatic experiences, being treated like a human dancing bear,

Short Man syndrome, an all to coming adjective for small angry men, yet they were born like it, they suffer prejudice and persecution yet this is considered hilarious. People are mocked because of their height.

YOU might not find mocking people because of their hair or lack of it, height, or weight Offensive but does this make it right?or are you just being manipulated by society which tells us watching these people battle their demons is actually entertainment and persecuting them is not wrong but actually hilarious.

He may have loved it but someone with a real psycho in the family would have found it really offensive. At the turn of the last centuary and beyond, thousands of people were left to rot and die in 'looney bins' however people still call others loons and neither party minds.

As I said, I can see the point but words are just words and meanings do change - I.e - you nutter. I think self policing would be better, a please don't use that In that way. If the mods start banning words, the line will move and continue to move until we all become politically correct. If I can't call Turkish a baldy, I'm out.

He may have loved it but someone with a real psycho in the family would have found it really offensive. At the turn of the last centuary and beyond, thousands of people were left to rot and die in 'looney bins' however people still call others loons and neither party minds.

As I said, I can see the point but words are just words and meanings do change - I.e - you nutter. I think self policing would be better, a please don't use that In that way. If the mods start banning words, the line will move and continue to move until we all become politically correct. If I can't call Turkish a baldy, I'm out.

Pipe down you slitty eyes.

Says who? People get depression because they are bald. Have you ever watched the biggest loser? A competition with a 'joke' name where fat people are mocked to embarrassed into losing weight, have you seen them cry on there? Whilst we laugh and call it entertainment these people are suffering traumatic experiences, being treated like a human dancing bear,

Short Man syndrome, an all to coming adjective for small angry men, yet they were born like it, they suffer prejudice and persecution yet this is considered hilarious. People are mocked because of their height.

YOU might not find mocking people because of their hair or lack of it, height, or weight Offensive but does this make it right?or are you just being manipulated by society which tells us watching these people battle their demons is actually entertainment and persecuting them is not wrong but actually hilarious.

See my point on context. You can refer to a bald man as a bald man. You can't taunt him about it. Thus the term is acceptable in context.

Spaz and Mong are unacceptable in any context.

As for who, I think I speak for myself and the average person. You will have a different view as you are one of the vocal minority.

Del, I'd love to debate your views on socially acceptable language and its use but I've a living to make. Please read and have regard to other comments which agree with the op. I repeat, you're in the vocal minority.

Exactly!

Because I don't mind the above doesn't make it right. Same as a nutter, pyscho, mental, bed wetter, ******, whatever.

Someone called me a paycho once because I made someone eat a pen when we were at school. I was so offended I stabbed a fork in his eye.

See my point on context. You can refer to a bald man as a bald man. You can't taunt him about it. Thus the term is acceptable in context.

Spaz and Mong are unacceptable in any context.

As for who, I think I speak for myself and the average person. You will have a different view as you are one of the vocal minority.

Del, I'd love to debate your views on socially acceptable language and its use but I've a living to make. Please read and have regard to other comments which agree with the op. I repeat, you're in the vocal minority.

What's the average person? You're a short, fat, bald divorce lawyer, you aren't average. F*ck me, if I was getting divorced I wouldnt trust a fatty, baldilocks with short mans syndrome.

Well said the OP. Most people leave terms like "mong" and "spaz" behind when they leave primary school. Some carry on into secondary school. Unfortunately, a very small number of them continue even after that. And they all seem to be on here. If I were in a face-to-face conversation with anyone who used these terms, I'd think less of the person using them. The same applies on here. It's not being PC, it's just treating people with decency and not showing yourself to be a fool with limited vocabulary.

Well said the OP. Most people leave terms like "mong" and "spaz" behind when they leave primary school. Some carry on into secondary school. Unfortunately, a very small number of them continue even after that. And they all seem to be on here. If I were in a face-to-face conversation with anyone who used these terms, I'd think less of the person using them. The same applies on here. It's not being PC, it's just treating people with decency and not showing yourself to be a fool with limited vocabulary.

what if people do have a limited vocabulary...? are they not allowed to speak..?