Focussing on the football...

SW11_Saint

I am one of Rupert Lowe's biggest critics. I'll go as far as to say, I really, truly, dislike the guy - for his track record, his inability to learn from his mistakes, his disdain for the fans, and his utter refusal to accept any blame for his part in our appalling demise (and his penchant for scapegoating others).

All of that said, I am going to do my damnest to put my feelings for him aside for as long as possible, get behind Jan Poortvliet and the boys (as I have done regardless of who we've had managing/coaching/on the field) and TRY to ENJOY this season. With this in mind, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what we can do on the pitch.

Here's hoping I don't have to utter a name other than one of those in red & white, or in the dugout, for the entire season.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!

I am one of Rupert Lowe's biggest critics. I'll go as far as to say, I really, truly, dislike the guy - for his track record, his inability to learn from his mistakes, his disdain for the fans, and his utter refusal to accept any blame for his part in our appalling demise (and his penchant for scapegoating others).

All of that said, I am going to do my damnest to put my feelings for him aside for as long as possible, get behind Jan Poortvliet and the boys (as I have done regardless of who we've had managing/coaching/on the field) and TRY to ENJOY this season. With this in mind, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what we can do on the pitch.

Here's hoping I don't have to utter a name other than one of those in red & white, or in the dugout, for the entire season.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!

And who do you think has sown the seeds for hope this season. Did Poortvliet and the determination to rely on youth to support the culling of expensive journeyman happen by pure chance? You're looking forward to the new season? Good but try and recognise who has orchestrated that or are you pilloried for all damnation for your past mistakes - perceived or otherwise. New forum same tune I see from some.

And who do you think has sown the seeds for hope this season. Did Poortvliet and the determination to rely on youth to support the culling of expensive journeyman happen by pure chance? You're looking forward to the new season? Good but try and recognise who has orchestrated that or are you pilloried for all damnation for your past mistakes - perceived or otherwise. New forum same tune I see from some.

Don't start with this pro lowe bollocks this is a football only thread and nothing to do with back room pollitics.

Yes, I see that too.

i'm sorry, but did you really think that over the course of a weekend without TSF that people would change how they feel about Rupert Lowe??....you're living in some self-induced RL dreamstate if you think that's the case!!!!

most people are trying to see the positives from what your 'messiah' is attempting to do at SMS , but even you must admit that that man has made many enemies among the fanbase , and most will not be forgiving if he ,through his own dillusions of footballing grandure, takes our club further into the mire..........

however, should his "European style of managing/coaching" system pay off, then i'm sure that there are many fans who will be more than happy to eat some humble pie........

but for now, let's get behind the team and hope to God that 'going Dutch' proves a master stroke for Southampton Football Club....

all my digits are crossed,that's for sure!! :)

UTS!!!!!!!

If I were to predict a rational pro-Lowe response to SW11's post, it would be along the lines of 'Good, we'll take our converts inch by inch along the road to enlightenment.'

But no, you're along, right on cue, with your pillory post. What's your endgame here?

It seems self-evident that whatever fans' views on Lowe, it's a good thing that many feel heartened by what they've seen on the pitch, especially against WHU. But presumably what you really want, more than anything, is that people show obeisance to your lord and master. Why?

Your post is as unintelligible as usual, but seems all the worse for failing to recognise the commonalities here between people who have differing views of Lowe but who desperately wish the club to succeed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the impending season.

On the one hand we should see some exciting football - but as soon as teams "suss" us out will we be good enough to change things around?

Pretty passing, movement, one touch football sounds great on paper - but it doesn't always deliver. If we can be solid at the back and not give anything away and sneak a few 1-0's on the way - it would be great.

I just hope we don't go off like a rocket, and fall to earth with a massive bump sometime in the new year. There is a possibility we could take this league by storm - as we are playing ex-Prem teams early doors - which should be a good indicator of the season ahead.

I'll be going to Derby - but I will not visit SMS whilst Rupert is anywhere near our club - besides which the awayday support needs every fan we can muster. Besides which it's more fun away - SMS is so sterile!

The other thing to bear in mind is that pre-season games are fairly open games. It will be interesting to see how this new style of play will overcome teams who pack out their defences looking for a draw. We have had a real problem trying to break teams down who are very tight at the back.

I thought I would have a post on the new forum.

Dont care about Lowe one way or the other looking forward to the season.

I think we will do better a lot better than last season if not I will support Saints in Div 1 and then look forward to better times

I was trying to avoid this becoming a "pro/anti Lowe" thread, but you're clearly focussed on pushing it that way.

I have no idea whether things will pan out or not. We may get beaten 5-0 in each of our first few games, or might win them 5-0. No idea. The heavy realince on youth players may be the biggest own goal of all time. Again, no idea. So I'll wait to see how things pan out before drawing any conclusions. Incidentally, I'd also feel the same way whether Pearson was in charge, or Crouch for that matter. My point was that I am trying to put my personal feelings about Lowe to one side and focus all of my energies on supporting the team, and the coaching staff (regardless of my feelings about the set up). Nothing more, nothing less.

"new forum, same tune". Well, you said it…

I was trying to avoid this becoming a "pro/anti Lowe" thread, but you're clearly focussed on pushing it that way.

I have no idea whether things will pan out or not. We may get beaten 5-0 in each of our first few games, or might win them 5-0. No idea. The heavy realince on youth players may be the biggest own goal of all time. Again, no idea. So I'll wait to see how things pan out before drawing any conclusions. Incidentally, I'd also feel the same way whether Pearson was in charge, or Crouch for that matter. My point was that I am trying to put my personal feelings about Lowe to one side and focus all of my energies on supporting the team, and the coaching staff (regardless of my feelings about the set up). Nothing more, nothing less.

I think you started the Anti Lowe thread With your first post which rather annoyed me.

I dont care one way or another about Lowe but I do get fed up up with all the negative posts I dont think he was soley responsible for our relegation .

However we got relegated that is football and we should live with it and not constantly harping on about what could have been.

However we got relegated that is football and we should live with it and not constantly harping on about what could have been.

What may be to come is based firmly on what has been. Our current circumstances of being in dire financial straits is due to our relegation from the Premiership and those who caused our relegation are accountable to us.

All very well to be optimistic for our prospects, to look forward to seeing the new brand of football that has largely been dictated by the lack of finance, therefore through necessity rather than choice, but we are in a wait and see position at the moment. Some are optimistic of our chances, others are cautious. If that caution is based on the previous records of the two failed Chairmen who jointly run the club at the moment, then that is entirely understandable and it is not for others to deride them for their stance. They are as entitled to their viewpoint as anybody else.

Love the way people go on about hating Lowe, for a ton of different reasons, including not learning from his mistakes. Then saying how they're going to back the football, the new manager and even liking what they're seeing. Stuff that Lowe was responsible for instigating. Coming to think, probably most the things they like about the club was instigated by Lowe. But they still hate him.

Blind hatred, I guess.....

For someone trying to avoid something, you devoted 50% of the original post to exactly the opposite.

I dislike rupert and what he did in the past but right now he has appointed a manger who has so far produced some of the best football for a long time it could end in tears but for the moment lets give it a chance and support the team

JESUS! I was thinking of paying my £5 but ******** to it. I really am at the end of my tether reading this **** when I just want to hear something that will make me feel excited/positive about the upcoming weekend. Think about it, have you ever been doubled crossed by a mate and ended up still being their mate (I realise 'mate' may be a bad analogy for RL but you see my point) can't we just crack on and see what happens this time.....

The answers is clearly 'no' and for that reason, sorry mods, I can't spend even £5 a year.

I'm gonna leave my discussing to face to face at the pub and sod you lot.

Love the way people go on about hating Lowe, for a ton of different reasons, including not learning from his mistakes. Then saying how they're going to back the football, the new manager and even liking what they're seeing. Stuff that Lowe was responsible for instigating. Coming to think, probably most the things they like about the club was instigated by Lowe. But they still hate him.

Blind hatred, I guess.....

I haven't seen a game yet, so can't say whether I "like what I see" or not - we've had indifferent pre-season results, but then we generally do. All I was saying was that I am trying to put my 'political differences' with the board on ice and focus on the football. Nothing more, nothing less. I suspect it won't last, given the reaction it's provoked on here!

The reality of the situation is that if Saints do well Lowe will get a reprieve.

However the likelyhood is that we'll struggle next season and Lowe will once again be the target of fans frustrations.

It doesn't matter what's posted on here, the way Lowe was booed at Claus's testimonial shows that in the real world he is as unpopular as ever.