What is the best way of carrying suits and shirts on a plane?

TopGun

If I needed to carry three suits plus shirts on a plane flight, what's the best way to do it? In the past I have attempted to place one suit in a suitcase along with all my other stuff but there must be a better way if I needed to take three suits. Any ideas on how to do it, so they come out at the other end fine? Or is it just another suitcase?

Buy a decent suit bag (samsonite) and when you get on the plane ask the stewardess to hang it for you, they will hang it in the crew wardrobe. That way you can undo it and hang it full length to stop creasing.

Try that on a lot of low cost and other short haul flights and you will get a pretty blank look.

Oh really? Didn't realise that.

Klm did it for me to Holland and Ba to Germany and Belgium but that was between 6-10 years ago. Not surprised by what you say as they want to charge for baggage etc.

But they are proper airlines unlike Easy Jet and the like so they expect business passengers to have suits not flip flops and shirts

No so much a solution of how to carry it on a plane, but of how to treat it when you get off the other end.

If you find your suit is creased get the shower going to make the bathroom nice and steamy and then hang your suit up.

It's a good way of getting the creases out regardless of whether or not you have a trouser press in the room.

I am assuming, of course, that your suits are of a decent quality and made from good quality wool fabric.

This method doesn't work so well if you buy suits made from cheap and nasty synthetic fabric where the seat of your trousers turns shiny after sitting down half a dozen times.

Frequent flyer tip#4793

When packing a suit always place it in a returning from Dry Cleaning Plastic cover with the shirt inside Helps reduce the wrinkling. (Supplement - some people swear that rolling them is the answer - certainly is for ties

& I find it works for Trousers I need to keep wrinkle free

Tip #10 Have a high quality wheelie bag of the exact dimension (not one with sticking out wheels) and one that has a separate suit compartment in the lid (Delsey/Samsonite)

Tip # 2321 Wear one suit, find local Express Dry Cleaner on arrival (NEVER the Hotel unless you have a good Expenses policy) because you have two spares

HTH

I bought one of these (not absolutely sure if it was that make/brand actually) before a long haul flight busines journey.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Members-Titan-Cabin-Carrier-Wheels/dp/B0032OAPZQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357737680&sr=8-3

If you're not on the cheapest of cheap airlines , that even ought to qualify as carry-on cabin luggage if you need it to. It is a bit of a squash for 3 suits, and you won't get much else in the case if you do take that many suits, but it's a damn sight better than packing in a conventional case and there's only a little creasing if you pack really carefully.