Most disappointing live band / performer

Halo Stickman

Meatloaf at Broadlands destroyed a legend for me, and many many years ago (early 80's I think) saw Paul McCartney at The Mayflower and most of the audience were already in their 60's and it was soulless. More recently I saw Stevie Nicks and it's the only concert I have ever walked out of

Meatloaf at Broadlands destroyed a legend for me, and many many years ago (early 80's I think) saw Paul McCartney at The Mayflower and most of the audience were already in their 60's and it was soulless. More recently I saw Stevie Nicks and it's the only concert I have ever walked out of

Funnily enough when I saw the title of the thread the one that sprang to mind was Meatloaf.

We saw him and the band at Wembley Arena. Very poor and hugely disappointing. Bat out Hell was my favourite album for many a year. Music just didn't seem the same after.

Paul Weller at the Isle of Wight Festival a few years ago.

Kept going off stage for a fag, leaving the band to play on. That was when it was legal to smoke om stage, god knows what he is like now days. Iggy Pop was miles better.

He's a brilliant musician, he's also a moody f*cker. I've seen him be brilliant and awful, he's never just okay.

Human League at the Mayflower/Gaumont (can't remember when it changed). Loved their music back then, couldn't wait to see them. May as well have stuck 4 shop dummies on stage and played a cd. Not an ounce of atmosphere of rapport with the audience.

The Doves at the Wedgewood rooms were woeful, starting several tunes again they were that out if sync

That's annoying, There Goes the Fear os an amazing tune.

For me, The Klaxons at the Guildhall were ****, but they were supported by Simian Mobile Disco, so were onto a loser whatever. Stereophonics at IoW Festival as well. Soooo boring I left to go see Australian Pink Floyd (who were frigging amazing).

That's annoying, There Goes the Fear os an amazing tune.

For me, The Klaxons at the Guildhall were ****, but they were supported by Simian Mobile Disco, so were onto a loser whatever. Stereophonics at IoW Festival as well. Soooo boring I left to go see Australian Pink Floyd (who were frigging amazing).

Saw the Doves at the Guildhall a few years back and they were spot on.

Mine would be Lou Reed.

I was looking forward to watching him perform some of his old hits like Walk on the Wild Side, Satellite of Love, Perfect Day etc but he just spent the entire session half-heartedly performing stuff no one had heard of before.

Mine too but when I saw him in 1972 at the Gaumont he was being held up by his roadies at one stage having collapsed a couple of times. It would be fair to say he'd no idea where he was etc. His time on stage was 20 minutes.

He managed Walk on Te Wild Side and ironically a song called Heroin....He also sang Vicious and Satellite of Love he collapsed again...he was dragged off stage and did not return.

Some of these I've either had to police or it was a free gig that me and mates wandered into

Linkin Park were APPALLING, every song they did was some guy trying to rap being interrupted by another dude screeching out what was supposed to resemble a chorus. Apart from a few teenagers at the front they didn't get much reaction at all.

Kanye West was rubbish, people said it was his style of music and my age but I saw Jay-Z years ago and thought he was quite good.

I'd also second The Bluetones, the Music were pretty dire as well.

I was also very disappointed by Radiohead.

Lou Read at the IOW festival, total plank

This, absolutely. I posted him on c*ntscorner after wasting a small fortune dragging up to London to see him a couple of years ago, the thread is still there. Decrepit old hasbeen, has anyone got him on this years dead pool?

Echo and the Bunnymen, Hammersmith odeon 1981. Just went through the motions.

siouxsie and the banshees, both at The colston hall and the Gaumont.

1 hour. 1 song encore, no effort. poor.

Most surprisingly good: The Lambrettas , in front of about 200 people at Bath Pavilion, many of whom were skinheads wanting to fight. Kept going through the chaos , in an attempt to entertain folks. I admire them still for that effort.

By a long long way ... Elbow.

My god, I like some of their stuff, but I wanted to sleep during the show it was so dull - no "show", no audience interaction, nothing.

Very surprised to read this. I've seen them several times in the last 10 or so years and Guy Garvey has been one of the more "chatty" frontmen I've seen. Usually explains the songs. Makes jokes about the others in the band.

Everybody has a bad day, I guess.

I would nominate Van Morrison at The Gaumont circa 84. Obvious from the start that he had the hump and walked off mid-song after only 20 mins. his band looked lost and followed him off acouple of minutes later.

Elbow and Van Morrison both good shouts. Still nowhere near as bad as Brian Wilson at Glastonbury - just embarrassing for a guy who was a legend. These older performers really should know when to stop and retire gracefully, as all they do is destroy their fans' fond memories.

the french band, Air at the Guildhall. i liked some of their 1st album but ended up sitting on the floor with the missus falling asleep against me.

Yeah this was the first gig that popped into my head when I saw the thread. Loved Moon Safari but they were just really self-indulgent and did some very weird, experimental almost, versions of their best known tracks. Got a very poor response from the crowd and we ended up sitting in the seats up at the back cos we were bored.

Oh and Bjork at Bestival in 2011. I really liked her first two albums - they had some energy about them and although she's not to everyone's taste, I like her quirky voice. She did the closing set on the main stage on sunday night and just churned out 2 hours of slow, plodding tunes with a choir as backing. The cheeky bint even had the nerve to say at one point "I know these aren't exactly festival tunes, but we don't care". Well maybe you didn't but the people who had paid money to come and watch you did.

Goldie lookin chain on their tour made me want to burst my ear drums then burn down the place with everyone in it, comedy music is bad enough but white welsh people doing comedy rap to a room full of posh students is horrific.

Only reason I went was cause the ticket was free and I felt massively ripped off at that price

U2 at Earls Court in 2001 was such an underwhelming performance it really put me off them. I expected so much more than what appeared to be Bono & co going through the motions and watching the money roll in.

Got dragged to a Beautiful South gig by an ex. Not only was the music sh!te it was like being at a large scale middle class dinner party. No passion from the band or crowd.

Liberty X at the BIC in Bournemouth was disappointing if I'm honest

That's why I never went to see Hear Say in concert, seeing great bands like that live just spoils the illusion. As soon as you see them, you realise they are human just like you or me and the dream goes. I've got tickets for the X factor live next month (true story) and I am worried that when I see Rylan sing Ganga man whatever live, it just won't be the same. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I saw Black Sabbath at the Gaumont and they were dire. Ozzy Osbourne was so out of tune and it put me off them for years.

The support band blew them offstage, the only time I've seen the support band get an encore. They were Black Oak Arkansas.

Honourable mention to Judas Priest at the now renamed Mayflower. Just a noise that me unable to tell one song from another.

That's why I never went to see Hear Say in concert, seeing great bands like that live just spoils the illusion. As soon as you see them, you realise they are human just like you or me and the dream goes. I've got tickets for the X factor live next month (true story) and I am worried that when I see Rylan sing Ganga man whatever live, it just won't be the same. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I guess it depends on who you are going with? My advice is to ensure there are other benefits of your trip, for example if Christopher Maloney doesn’t excite you in real life like on the telly, have another purpose of the trip, if you are going with a girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/civil partner, you could just play eye-spy, whereas if you are going with a friend you could play spot the nipples as you scan the excited crowds. If you are going on your own you can just plan who you would like to abduct, however if you are going to x factor live on your own you probably don’t need me to tell you that one do you!