Liverpool fans

The Majestic Channon

Is it just me who just lately became reminded why i loathed the c unts so much in the 80's?

I know loads of liverpool fans yet not one scouser, they are so arrogant and delusional, despite being a mid table side, i hope they get dicked tomorrow :x

No you're not alone.

Disliked the c^nts in the 1980's and still do.

Detest Everton as well, Highbury '84 and all that.

Its all about "justice" by the way, say it often enough and it probably gives them a good feeling about themselves. (nothing to do with compensation of course ?)

As for tomorrow - no, I can't will ManU to win, just as detestable.

I was on a train coming back from Liverpool to London after the saints match last month. The train was paced with plastic scousers. All bigging up Liverpool and talking about they will do this, do that and sign such n such..........they genuinely still believe they are the great 1980's side.

Just to redress the balance slightly.

A mate of mine was a Scouser, Liverpool fan through & through, except when he was with me at SMS. He was a top bloke, cracking sense of humour and never moaned about anything, and believe me he had plenty to moan about if he'd chosen too, he was at Hillsborough, something I didn't know until I bought it up around the 20th anniversary. He sadly died recently from a disease that left him wheelchair bound, breathing with a machine & unable to speak by himself, and not once in the 7 years, or so since his diagnosis did he complain, whinge or whine. Not you stereotypical scouser...well possibly, but I've met his brothers & mother on several occasions, all good people without chips on their shoulders.

I have been living in Liverpool for years and I cant say I have seen anymore arseholes up here than anywhere else, probably the opposite to be honest, the stereotypes are quite old as well, its like me saying every Southerner (I am one and a very proud one) always talks about Thatchers 80's or their house and the price of it rising, we all know thats not true.

I have always been made very welcome up here, married a scouser 18months ago and am very happy up here bar the absolute **** weather but then again its pretty ****e everywhere in the UK, Badger your comment about Hillsborough and compensation is unwarranted, unfounded and in short why these people fight on for justice, they have won some of it after over 20 years but not all and they will rightfully fight on to clear their dead relations name of defamation, the plastic scousers/wooly cling on are loathed as well by many up here, you cant blame them for Southampton and regional Cities for having ****e that does not support their own, thats more to do with the residents of that respective City or town.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

No you're not alone.

Disliked the c^nts in the 1980's and still do.

Detest Everton as well, Highbury '84 and all that.

Its all about "justice" by the way, say it often enough and it probably gives them a good feeling about themselves. (nothing to do with compensation of course ?)

As for tomorrow - no, I can't will ManU to win, just as detestable.

Say your comments to Lambert or Adkins? Isn't that a scouser (plastic granted Birkenhead) and Liverpool fan as your avatar? And isn't he our manager?

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Don't normally get involved in these regular Liverpool bashings. Most of the posters on the thread are bigoted small-time arsewipes, at least in the context of their points here.

As it goes, I do find a lot of Liverpool FC fans annoying, but the flipside of that is having a giggle at them when their team fails to meet its lofty expectations. That's as far as it needs to go, really.

As for why people get their knickers in a twist about Liverpool and its people? Jealousy, probs. That city has consistently managed to keep a high national profile for over a century, be it in its capacity as second city of Empire, mover of 40% of world trade, incubator of rock music or all-conquering football city.

You do make me laugh, southern brothers. All you have is the reflected glory of expensive London. There is nowhere in Hampshire remotely as interesting or as culturally significant to our collective history as Liverpool. Southampton itself is about 100x more boring. I'd argue that a large part of that is because rather than have fun, too many of its residents are basking in their own inferiority complexes and having a go at scousers to make themselves feel better.

Someone remind me. Who are the victims supposed to be again?

Don't normally get involved in these regular Liverpool bashings. Most of the posters on the thread are bigoted small-time arsewipes, at least in the context of their points here.

As it goes, I do find a lot of Liverpool FC fans annoying, but the flipside of that is having a giggle at them when their team fails to meet its lofty expectations. That's as far as it needs to go, really.

As for why people get their knickers in a twist about Liverpool and its people? Jealousy, probs. That city has consistently managed to keep a high national profile for over a century, be it in its capacity as second city of Empire, mover of 40% of world trade, incubator of rock music or all-conquering football city.

You do make me laugh, southern brothers. All you have is the reflected glory of expensive London. There is nowhere in Hampshire remotely as interesting or as culturally significant to our collective history as Liverpool. Southampton itself is about 100x more boring. I'd argue that a large part of that is because rather than have fun, too many of its residents are basking in their own inferiority complexes and having a go at scousers to make themselves feel better.

How many people on this thread are slagging off the city of Liverpool?

Yeah but then again Pap you are responsible for this..

melc.jpg

And Paul McCartney is a knob and so far up his own arse so...

Nah, the idiots who buy crap music are responsible for the above.

Whatever, Southampton's responsible for what? Craig David? Aaron Soul? Howard Jones? If Chris Packham has a decent singing voice you might even get a boy band out of that.

Pap. You really are too sensitive about these things.

Stereotypes are rooted in truth, my own personal experiences back them up entirely. Having done some work at Jaguar Hailwood and having dated a scouse girl (and met her family) they do moan, are quite focused purely on their own area of the country and are extremely defensive regarding outsiders perception.

But, you know what, who cares!? All areas of the country have their quirks. Yorkshire is just as insular, the midlands just as whiney and the Skates have a massive chip on their shoulder too.

Cest la vie!

I have never claimed that Southampton is better than Liverpool. What u do kow though is that my experience of liverpudlians is very negative and their victim mentality is highly annoying. Southampton being boring or poor doesn't make that less true.

I take your "experience" and raise it by about 17 years, sir. I'm being generous and have attributed a year of experience to you.

People come to this city and take out what they put in. Come up here for a laugh, and that's what you'll typically get. Come up here with the "all scousers are victims" mentality and you'll probably be one yourself.

Stereotypes are rooted in truth, my own personal experiences back them up entirely. Having done some work at Jaguar Hailwood and having dated a scouse girl (and met her family) they do moan, are quite focused purely on their own area of the country and are extremely defensive regarding outsiders perception.

But, you know what, who cares!? All areas of the country have their quirks. Yorkshire is just as insular, the midlands just as whiney and the Skates have a massive chip on their shoulder too.

Cest la vie!

That is for others to decide.

I prefer to see it as setting your stall out.

I don't share your assessment. Most scousers I've met couldn't give two f**ks about what southerners think of them. Probably another reason people don't like them.

I love them for it.

Anyone who is talking about scousers instead of Liverpool FC fans.
Which weren't many. And anyway, talking about "Scousers" is different to slagging off the the city as a whole. Of course Liverpool has much more going on than Southampton - has anyone suggested otherwise? It should do, its a far bigger city. It's contribution to popular/football culture in this country is fantastic, but has offered very little new of any interest for at least 20 years and that's being generous. Great place for p**s up, I'd definitely agree on that though.

Which weren't many. And anyway, talking about "Scousers" is different to slagging off the the city as a whole. Of course Liverpool has much more going on than Southampton - has anyone suggested otherwise? It should do, its a far bigger city. It's contribution to popular/football culture in this country is fantastic, but has offered very little new of any interest for at least 20 years and that's being generous. Great place for p**s up, I'd definitely agree on that though.

Yeah, again - I'd disagree.

The city centre has been transformed in my time here. Some might dismiss Liverpool One as yet another monument to consumerism, but they'd miss the obvious point. Liverpool city centre is now connected with its waterfront area. Contrast that with the desolation of High Street, Southampton.

Got a permanent arena for musical performers in the last ten years. Then you have institutions like LIPA, the revival of the creative quarter, all the stuff that was built when Liverpool was named Capital of Culture. Before that, you had the likes of Cream informing the national dance scene (and coach loads of people from all over the country turning up for it).

You really couldn't have picked a worse city if your objective is to find one in stasis. Outside of London, Manchester and potentially Glasgow, perhaps you'd like to suggest another city that has improved as much as Liverpool has, or put on as much of a spectacle.

Yeah, again - I'd disagree.

The city centre has been transformed in my time here. Some might dismiss Liverpool One as yet another monument to consumerism, but they'd miss the obvious point. Liverpool city centre is now connected with its waterfront area. Contrast that with the desolation of High Street, Southampton.

Got a permanent arena for musical performers in the last ten years. Then you have institutions like LIPA, the revival of the creative quarter, all the stuff that was built when Liverpool was named Capital of Culture. Before that, you had the likes of Cream informing the national dance scene (and coach loads of people from all over the country turning up for it).

You really couldn't have picked a worse city if your objective is to find one in stasis. Outside of London, Manchester and potentially Glasgow, perhaps you'd like to suggest another city that has improved as much as Liverpool has, or put on as much of a spectacle.

I'm not sure if you've read my post right. I haven't said it hasn't improved. Liverpool1 is the on a par with West Quay, fine for what it is, but nothing to boast about for a city of Liverpool's size. Yeah Cream was a massive super club that was very popular, hardly an example of clued-up, ground breaking culture loads of cities had similar, Gatecrasher etc Does Liverpool have anywhere like Manchester's Northern Quarter for example? As I said in my earlier post, Liverpool has provided a massive contribution to popular/football culture in this country, but these days it offers very little particularly different or exciting from other similarly sized cities. Its a good day/night out on the p**s, but then so it Nottingham, Sheffield, Bristol, Cardiff, Newcastle - don't really see what Liverpool has these days that those cities don't.

I'm not sure if you've read my post right. I haven't said it hasn't improved. Liverpool1 is the on a par with West Quay, fine for what it is, but nothing to boast about for a city of Liverpool's size. Yeah Cream was a massive super club that was very popular, hardly an example of clued-up, ground breaking culture loads of cities had similar, Gatecrasher etc Does Liverpool have anywhere like Manchester's Northern Quarter for example? As I said in my earlier post, Liverpool has provided a massive contribution to popular/football culture in this country, but these days it offers very little particularly different or exciting from other similarly sized cities. Its a good day/night out on the p**s, but then so it Nottingham, Sheffield, Bristol, Cardiff, Newcastle - don't really see what Liverpool has these days that those cities don't.

Sorry Liverpool 1 is on a par with West Key?

Northern quarter, for drinking and restaurants? Even the most one eyed Mancunian will tell you Liverpool is a better experience for a night out.

http://www.sevenstreets.com/city-living/liverpool-is-best-uk-city-for-night-out/

Very good City with an awful lot to do.

I think I got confused at the part where you said Liverpool had little new or of interest for the past 20 years. It clearly has.

As for what Liverpool has that other cities don't, I think it's a sense of detachment from the rest of the country. With the exception of Cardiff, all those other towns are English cities. Technically, Liverpool belongs to England. Culturally, it's very much it's own place. The Irish don't call it the 33rd county for nothing.

That is for others to decide.

I prefer to see it as setting your stall out.

I don't share your assessment. Most scousers I've met couldn't give two f**ks about what southerners think of them. Probably another reason people don't like them.

I love them for it.

Who said anything about 'not liking them?'

I did hear that Liverpool fans were moaning about the cost of travelling to HOME games

The Everton fans make a lot of hay with this one. Bit of truth in it too. I've had loads of beers with Dutch and Danish supporters who have travelled over for the game.

Sorry Liverpool 1 is on a par with West Key?

Northern quarter, for drinking and restaurants? Even the most one eyed Mancunian will tell you Liverpool is a better experience for a night out.

http://www.sevenstreets.com/city-living/liverpool-is-best-uk-city-for-night-out/

Very good City with an awful lot to do.

West Quay and Liverpool 1 are both big commercial shopping malls, full of the same sorts of shops - they're pretty much the same thing, for the same sort of people.

You won't find a Manc saying Liverpool is a better night out than Manc, that's you just trying too hard there.

I think I got confused at the part where you said Liverpool had little new or of interest for the past 20 years. It clearly has.

As for what Liverpool has that other cities don't, I think it's a sense of detachment from the rest of the country. With the exception of Cardiff, all those other towns are English cities. Technically, Liverpool belongs to England. Culturally, it's very much it's own place. The Irish don't call it the 33rd county for nothing.

In terms of making it stand out and be particularly unique from similar sized cities, it really hasn't.

Try telling all the Scousers in our Armed Forces they're not properly British and see what reaction you get. Or in certain pubs around Everton.

So the sum total of makes Liverpool unique these days is they don't feel English? Well that makes them really stand out. Apart from Cardiff. And Glasgow. And Edinburgh. Newcastle is fairly out on it's own from London and all that comes with it. Bristol is a far less mainstream/commercial city than Liverpool these days. But, apart from that I agree, Liverpool is a really unique, exciting city these days.

Enjoyed being in The Arkles before the Everton game, best away pub i've been to. On that basis, I think everyone from Liverpooool is great.

Except maybe those Everton fans that kept ringing us on the way up there and giving us death threats. Maybe not them. But everyone else.

Whatever you say Pap, there are still plenty of Liverpool fans that are full of sh!t and their own self importance. Pick any episode of 'Being Liverpool' fast forward it to any point and within 5 minutes my point will be proved.

As a city though, I like it. Like you say, in touch with its waterfront, also plenty of beaches to walk the dog near by.

West Quay and Liverpool 1 are both big commercial shopping malls, full of the same sorts of shops - they're pretty much the same thing, for the same sort of people.

You won't find a Manc saying Liverpool is a better night out than Manc, that's you just trying too hard there.

Comparing the two is a bit like comparing east street shipping centre and bluewater, no I am not trying too hard it happens to be a fact, Manchester has no real city centre and core, no real heart to it, by Oxford road station is quite good at night but its no way as good as Liverpool for a night out.

Whatever you say Pap, there are still plenty of Liverpool fans that are full of sh!t and their own self importance. Pick any episode of 'Being Liverpool' fast forward it to any point and within 5 minutes my point will be proved.

As a city though, I like it. Like you say, in touch with its waterfront, also plenty of beaches to walk the dog near by.

I agree with that, loads of their fans think they are better than they currently are, the locals reds though are not too bad on the whole.

I know plenty of scousers

All the same. Full of it when it comes to the magical place called Liverpool.

Keep going on how they gave the country this and that

And if you dare mention that you think the constant nationwide exposure of Hillsborough is at times, too much.... and how you don't really feel anything towards it. Then stand by for incoming...

Comparing the two is a bit like comparing east street shipping centre and bluewater, no I am not trying too hard it happens to be a fact, Manchester has no real city centre and core, no real heart to it, by Oxford road station is quite good at night but its no way as good as Liverpool for a night out.

Personally I prefer Liverpool for a night-out compared to Manc, Manchester is too spread out. Still not seen anywhere in Liverpool compared to Manc's Northern Quarter. Or the fact that Manchester has 4 or 5 different areas to do a night out in. And I've been to Liverpool 1 and West Quay, neither are my cup of tea, they're the same sort of thing for the same sort of people. We're splitting hairs anyway. If you think Liverpool 1 makes Liverpool an exciting, unique city, fair enough, but I think you'll be in a pretty small minority there.

Dude, I live here. I have two of the f**kers in the house. I know.

When they are not talking about Liverpool FC, they are both reasonable people.

In terms of making it stand out and be particularly unique from similar sized cities, it really hasn't.

Try telling all the Scousers in our Armed Forces they're not properly British and see what reaction you get. Or in certain pubs around Everton.

So the sum total of makes Liverpool unique these days is they don't feel English? Well that makes them really stand out. Apart from Cardiff. And Glasgow. And Edinburgh. Newcastle is fairly out on it's own from London and all that comes with it. Bristol is a far less mainstream/commercial city than Liverpool these days. But, apart from that I agree, Liverpool is a really unique, exciting city these days.

All the cities you mentioned in your post were English, bar Cardiff - which is why I specifically singled it out. My comparison was English versus English. Of course Edinburgh is different. Northumberland is obviously informed by its proximity with Scotland.

Who said that Liverpool wasn't British? I admire your attempt to promote an emotional yet empty argument, but you made that leap, not me. Liverpool is a melting pot of people from all British countries. Of course it's British.

All the cities you mentioned in your post were English, bar Cardiff - which is why I specifically singled it out. My comparison was English versus English. Of course Edinburgh is different. Northumberland is obviously informed by its proximity with Scotland.

Who said that Liverpool wasn't British? I admire your attempt to promote an emotional yet empty argument, but you made that leap, not me. Liverpool is a melting pot of people from all British countries. Of course it's British.

I think you'll find you said 'The Irish don't call it the 33rd county for nothing' - most cities in England are a melting pot of people from across the British Isles. Look at Manchester or Birmingham. Or Southampton - huge amount of Irish 2nd/3rd generation. Anyway, glad we've ended up agreeing there isn't much unique or exciting about Liverpool in 2013.

Personally I prefer Liverpool for a night-out compared to Manc, Manchester is too spread out. Still not seen anywhere in Liverpool compared to Manc's Northern Quarter. Or the fact that Manchester has 4 or 5 different areas to do a night out in. And I've been to Liverpool 1 and West Quay, neither are my cup of tea, they're the same sort of thing for the same sort of people. We're splitting hairs anyway. If you think Liverpool 1 makes Liverpool an exciting, unique city, fair enough, but I think you'll be in a pretty small minority there.

I think what makes Liverpool an exciting city is and are

Met Quarter

Cathedral Quarter

Concert square

Echo arena

80 pubs in the city centre

St George's hall

Tate modern

Albert dock

Kings dock

Mathew st

Everyman theatre

Fact

And many many more, outside of London the most listed buildings in the city centre.

You missed out The Lobster Pot. I bloody love it in there.

Liverpool is a great weekend away, loads of stuff going on, lots of live music in all sorts of pubs and that really is something lacking in Southampton. I have had footbalweekends out there and also breaks with the wife and there is lots to keep us amused. Love Manchester as well, but Liverpool just edges it for me.

Having been to many Cities in the UK Liverpool is easily the friendliest I have come across, scousers care for their city in a way I wish Sotonians did, even Cities of the same size as ours have an awful lot more, Plymouth, Brighton, Oxford, and even the island dwellers down the road, we have taken all the money from the shipping companies and spent it on what to ensure return business? No wonder more and more cruise are looking(I dont agree with this but its their decision) to call at Liverpool instead of Southampton.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Never been to the City properly, aside from one trip to Goodison with a toffee supporting mate a few years ago so cannot comment on that.

But on Football they are really annoying.

Still living on past glories. It's not the 80s anymore, they have been poorly run for a while now, spending a small fortune attempting to chase the big boys and spending very poorly.

The backing of their fans for 'King Kenny' is just laughable. No doubt he is a legend for the club, deservedly so. But it was painfully obvious he was hideously out of touch with the modern game. Spent way over the odds on far too many players, and his handling of the Suarez case was shocking.

The love in they still have with Rafa I find baffling. Another manager that spent a huge amount (despite constantly complaining about a lack of funds - as well as just about everything else (I really hate Rafa, he is worse than any L'pool fan, he seriously believed everyone should just lie down at the feet of him and Liverpool)).

Fact is they are a mid-table team. Some good players, and I do rate Rodgers, although I'm starting to dislike him as he grows into this Liverpool victim the world owes us a favour, everyone should bow before us mentality. I do think they will probably come good if he is given the time to clear up the messes left by his predecessors'.

Anyone follow RAWK Meltdown on Twitter? Some absolute nuggets of gold on there!

Only you brought up that completely different issue :? there are far far more liverpool fans outside of the city than there are living there.i don't know any scousers...well i did years ago and he was a diamond.This is about liverpool fans in general, no need to get so defensive.

Never been to the City properly, aside from one trip to Goodison with a toffee supporting mate a few years ago so cannot comment on that.

But on Football they are really annoying.

Still living on past glories. It's not the 80s anymore, they have been poorly run for a while now, spending a small fortune attempting to chase the big boys and spending very poorly.

The backing of their fans for 'King Kenny' is just laughable. No doubt he is a legend for the club, deservedly so. But it was painfully obvious he was hideously out of touch with the modern game. Spent way over the odds on far too many players, and his handling of the Suarez case was shocking.

The love in they still have with Rafa I find baffling. Another manager that spent a huge amount (despite constantly complaining about a lack of funds - as well as just about everything else (I really hate Rafa, he is worse than any L'pool fan, he seriously believed everyone should just lie down at the feet of him and Liverpool)).

Fact is they are a mid-table team. Some good players, and I do rate Rodgers, although I'm starting to dislike him as he grows into this Liverpool victim the world owes us a favour, everyone should bow before us mentality. I do think they will probably come good if he is given the time to clear up the messes left by his predecessors'.

Anyone follow RAWK Meltdown on Twitter? Some absolute nuggets of gold on there!

Precisely, they are delusional and blinkered beyond belief.

I think you'll find you said 'The Irish don't call it the 33rd county for nothing' - most cities in England are a melting pot of people from across the British Isles. Look at Manchester or Birmingham. Or Southampton - huge amount of Irish 2nd/3rd generation. Anyway, glad we've ended up agreeing there isn't much unique or exciting about Liverpool in 2013.

Soz, only just seen this.

Liverpool does have a huge Irish influence. That doesn't preclude it from having a huge Scottish, Welsh and English influence too.

I also know people from Southampton who have Irish, Scottish and Welsh ancestry, so what you say is partially true, but nothing like the extent you make out. If Southampton is such a hotbed of Irish influence, just under half of all Southampton's schools ought to be Catholic schools. Certainly wasn't that way when I was growing up. Springhill, St Georges and St Annes, isn't it?

I'd like to see your concluding debating technique turned into a chat-up line.

"Anyway, glad we've ended up agreeing that I will be boinking you tonight".

Ambulance-passing-at-high-007.jpg

Arf!

Cest la vie!

Colin should know, he lives in Coventry!!