Car indiscretions x 2

Tractor_Saint

Ok, so a really bad weekend for me possibly in the car. Looking for advice on the follow two items on whether I have to turn over and say 'fair cop' or if I've got any wiggle room.

1. Saturday pouring with rain, no parking spaces in town after the lads footy practice. Had to get him a hair cut so parked on double yellows right outside the barbers. Kept an eagle eye out for any parking attendants but none came. Paid for the lads hair cut and as we walked out there was a bloke on a bike looking at my car. Realised that he was from the Borough council and just tapping into his handheld computer. He had been there literally for 10 seconds. I jumped in the car with the lad saying that we were just off to which he replied that I was parked on double yellows. He took another look at my number plate as I drove off.

So, he didn't issue me a ticket which I don't think matters tbh, but did he do me? As I was only 10 seconds on a double yellow from his point of view is there anything I can challenge? (perhaps saying I was off loading charity stuff to the shop next door?)

2. Today, driving up the A27 outside lane, very little traffic, clear sunny day - cruise control at 85mph. Straight road and I spot a police car in a layby. Slow down to 70mph only to see him with a radar gun and now walking towards his car. No signs about speed cameras etc - do those handheld cameras record video or should I ask for a pic of who was driving cos I can't remember?

If it weren't for the result this weekend at footy I might be suicidal :) Here's hoping they don't come in threes.

I was out earlier in my car and I was in a rush to get to the supermarket cos I wanted some snacks and they close early on a sunday, anyway they've got some temporary traffic lights down my road so I took a short cut across some fields and accidentally run over some gypsies. There was four of them, one of them got away so I had to follow him and I run him down too to make sure there was no witnesses.

My question is this, if the police come is it best to say someone else was driving my car? Like my mum or something? I've already got 6 points on my license and I don't want to get driving ban.

1. You might get something through the post, you might not - who knows ?

2. On the 'speeding' , relax - a proper copper would almost certainly have pulled you at the time if he'd wanted 'a word'.

And plod vehicles are unlikely to be equipped with video recording facilities for their handheld speed measurement devices (probably laser, not radar) - not that they'd need any photos or video to secure a conviction (if they really wanted to)..

Either way, the police would have to serve a Notice of Intended Prosecution on the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days if they wished to proceed matters. So, absent anything unwelcome dropping through the RK's letterbox in the next 2 weeks, you'll probably hear nothing about it..

I was out earlier in my car and I was in a rush to get to the supermarket cos I wanted some snacks and they close early on a sunday, anyway they've got some temporary traffic lights down my road so I took a short cut across some fields and accidentally run over some gypsies. There was four of them, one of them got away so I had to follow him and I run him down too to make sure there was no witnesses.

My question is this, if the police come is it best to say someone else was driving my car? Like my mum or something? I've already got 6 points on my license and I don't want to get driving ban.

Now you see, I was believing that story till I got to your deliberate incorrect spelling of 'licence'. Then I knew you were joking!

If it weren't for the result this weekend at footy I might be suicidal :) Here's hoping they don't come in threes.

Hi Tractor I have some good news and some bad news, the bad news is that whilst you were at footy practice Saturday I was seeing to your wife :( The good news is that you no longer need to worry about a third bad thing happening! :)

What more should I expect on SWF than to have one decent reply out of five. Hey ho, a serious post and that kind of hit rate. No wonder they are losing paying members.

Mods, sort it out.

Well it's a bit of a non-thread really isn't it, what sort of "serious" stuff did you honestly expect people to say - some sort of secret trick to get out of paying parking fines and speeding tickets?

Basically you 'may' have been busted or you may not? There's only one thing you can do, sweat it for a couple of weeks and wait and see if anything arrives in the post. If a parking ticket or a speeding ticket (or both) arrives then pay it. If nothing arrives then count yourself lucky. Whilst you are waiting you can reflect on ways to avoid getting such fines in the future, for example by not parking on double yellows and by not speeding, or take the risk and face the risk of getting caught. The reason you have had a load of retarded answers is because you asked a retarded question in the first place.

Well it's a bit of a non-thread really isn't it, what sort of "serious" stuff did you honestly expect people to say - some sort of secret trick to get out of paying parking fines and speeding tickets?

Basically you 'may' have been busted or you may not? There's only one thing you can do, sweat it for a couple of weeks and wait and see if anything arrives in the post. If a parking ticket or a speeding ticket (or both) arrives then pay it. If nothing arrives then count yourself lucky. Whilst you are waiting you can reflect on ways to avoid getting such fines in the future, for example by not parking on double yellows and by not speeding, or take the risk and face the risk of getting caught. The reason you have had a load of retarded answers is because you asked a retarded question in the first place.

And there's another. Basically :

(1) is there any allowance on waiting on double yellows or if you're parked up and a warden comes along is that an instant red card (or yellow ticket)

(2) does there need to be speed camera signs up within a certain distance in order to be able to set a speed trap.

And there's another. Basically :

(1) is there any allowance on waiting on double yellows or if you're parked up and a warden comes along is that an instant red card (or yellow ticket)

(2) does there need to be speed camera signs up within a certain distance in order to be able to set a speed trap.

(1) Regardless of what we all think of traffic wardens, the law states you should not park on double yellows, not for an hour, not for 10 minutes, not to just quickly pop a food parcle in to starving children. If the warden had started writing the ticket, you'll still get it even if you drive off, you'll just get it via the post.

(2) Ask yourself this question, would a police officer set up a speed camera in an area where he wasn't legally allowed to set it up?

So basically you have broken the law, twice, and possibly been caught for it, twice.

However if you want to get off the parking ticket write back and say you were dropping a disabled person at the barbers, then quote the latest disability discrimination act (can't remember the year). The council will sh it themselves and run a mile...

The bigger question is why, as a father of an impressionable child, you insist on breaking the law in this way. Your boy expects more from you, so what are you so afraid of?

Here, here. I'm sick of law breakers (particularly when it comes to road matters) coming on here and making excuses for their poor behaviour and looking for some kind of support. You broke the laws and rules so just man up and face the consequences.