Where do you see yourself a year from today?

110_Persaint

I'm sure everybody's hoping for a successful and enlightening year, getting through the rough patches yet maintaining our integrity and reaching our potential.

In a year, I'm hoping to see myself at a new full-time job position with better pay having completed my Master's and hopefully establishing something of a career.

Young people take note - life should NEVER be about 'careers' - more you earn, more you spend, and you dont get proportionally happier - follow dreams and vocations, and work to live, not live to work - or you end up like those sad ****s in the city... loads of money but feck all else.... I am not the first, and wont be the last to say, I should have followed my heart not my head when 18...

Young people take note - life should NEVER be about 'careers' - more you earn' date=' more you spend, and you dont get proportionally happier - follow dreams and vocations, and work to live, not live to work - or you end up like those sad ****s in the city... loads of money but feck all else.... I am not the first, and wont be the last to say, I should have followed my heart not my head when 18...[/quote']

For every sad rich f*cker in the city who followed their career, there is a sad poor f*cker who spent their lives p!ssing about "living" and face the rest of their lives being uncomfortable and miserable wishing they had worked hard.

For every sad rich f*cker in the city who followed their career, there is a sad poor f*cker who spent their lives p!ssing about "living" and face the rest of their lives being uncomfortable and miserable wishing they had worked hard.

It's as if some people don't realise you can earn good money, have a decent career and still have a good work/life balance too. Sod being poor. I like having nice **** in my nice house.

It's as if some people don't realise you can earn good money, have a decent career and still have a good work/life balance too. Sod being poor. I like having nice **** in my nice house.

The only people that say money doesn't make you happy are the ones that dont have any.

Young people take note - life should NEVER be about 'careers' - more you earn' date=' more you spend, and you dont get proportionally happier - follow dreams and vocations, and work to live, not live to work - or you end up like those sad ****s in the city... loads of money but feck all else.... I am not the first, and wont be the last to say, I should have followed my heart not my head when 18...[/quote']

I do love it when people say follow dreams. It's the stuff Hello & OK Magazine was made for. People with little to no talent or ability, following their dreams that they really can have it all. We're all raised now to believe we can be famous, celebrities, music heros, sportsmen or film stars, all we have to do is follow our dream. The reality is that few make it. It's this kind of misty eyed nonsense that have taken away the core values of working hard and appreciating what you've got. "follow your dreams" we are told, you can be what you want to be. You cant. I'm all for enjoying your youth, i'm all for getting an education i'm all for seeing a bit of the world while you cant and while you're young. BUt one day you have to realise that if you want to have a nice house, nice lifestyle, not have to worry about how to pay this months bills you have to work hard and earn a living. Dreams dont pay bills. And belive it or not you can have a good job, work hard and enjoy your social life as well. In fact the two are linked, the more you earn the more you can afford to do.

What do you do?

Fitness instructor and nutritional advisor (and in the process of setting up my own PT business). Thoroughly enjoy my job, and with the gym I work at growing, its a good place to be at the moment. However I lived most of my live in this area (the east of the Netherlands), and with most of my friends settling down with their partners, its time for a move.

Cheers for the heads up mate - I'll always keep that in mind. I like your outlook on life - less money, more happiness. Whilst money can potentially make us happier, it takes a wise man who knows how to use it conservatively to do so. The greater temptation is always to abuse your wealth and end up making a hash of your life. Live, love, learn and prosper IMO!

Don't worry about me Frank's cousin, I'd much rather take your advice than that of a filthy rich snob like Turkish.

Spoken like somebody who's never managed to earn what he thought he would when he was growing up. Unlucky mate.

Spoken like somebody who's never managed to earn what he thought he would when he was growing up. Unlucky mate.

Oh shut the f**k up joe, you're one of the worst trolls on here. Just because some people in this world don't worship money and base their whole life around it like you gives you no right to slag them off and be condescending. You seem to have this attitude with anyone who disagrees with you on anything (the Mayuka thread the latest example).

Why don't you go back to your pathetic little money-worshiping life and leave the rest of us happy and content knowing some things in life are more meaningful and valuable.

How so many trolls are left to roam these forums unchecked by the mods is beyond me.

Oh shut the f**k up joe, you're one of the worst trolls on here. Just because some people in this world don't worship money and base their whole life around it like you gives you no right to slag them off and be condescending. You seem to have this attitude with anyone who disagrees with you on anything (the Mayuka thread the latest example).

Why don't you go back to your pathetic little money-worshiping life and leave the rest of us happy and content knowing some things in life are more meaningful and valuable.

How so many trolls are left to roam these forums unchecked by the mods is beyond me.

Trolls only get enjoyment from watching others bite, if you really want to annoy trolls, ignore them.

As for me, same job, same relationship please

Seems to me a perfectly reasonable comment from Joe. FC was the one who labelled those who concentrate on their career as "sad ****s" (we can only assume what the swear filter took out). But it is safe to assume the post from FC was nothing more thn a sweeping generalisation which appears to have little basis in fact. From my experiece of the few i know who work long hours in the City, they are neither happier nor more miserable than others. In fact a good friend of mine has a very happy life and is an excellent Dad, brother and friend despite the demands of long hours working in central London. But I tend to agree with Joe, although your diatribitic response was quite humourous, albeit slightly unfair. FC's post indicated a sense of self justification for not achieving the precious ambition of youth, although I am convinced FC will put me right on this!

For my part, I hope to have steered the business through the choppy waters of economic uncertainty, finished off "doing up the house", learned a new skill and enjoyed some good times with friends and family.

Interesting question and one that I'm pondering a lot at the moment.

Having taken early retirement 9 years ago with a decent pension from a pretty stressful management job I took on a part-time admin/ICT job to keep me from stagnating and bring in a bit of cash. That job is now a comfortable flexible 20 hours a week and reasonably interesting so I'm not desperate to give it up.

Also started my own consultancy business a few years ago as a small sideline, but it's grown and is very successful, but time-consuming.

So on the one hand, I'm happy where I am, but on the other I want fairly soon to be able to just take off for a few months at a time and travel the world. This will happen at some point, but not sure when. Don't want to leave it too late.

Somewhere between FC and Turkish (I mean philosophically, not physically... that would be horrible). Tried 'following my dreams' when I was younger; now I'm sick of being skint all the time. There's nothing worthy or romantic about having to worry about money for food. So now I've got a better job, which isn't my dream job or anything but it pays the bills. So, to answer the OP, in 12 months I'd like to be debt-free and I'd like the podcast I now make to top 1,000 listeners. I reckon both of those are achievable.

110_Persaint, following your dream is all well and good. But get a job that affords you both money and the spare time for dream-following; that's my advice.

• 1 month later...

You are both right and both wrong.

My brother and I are poles apart in the way we have led our lives. If we were a Downton Abbey episode, he was the one who looked after the mansion and devoted his life to the old ways, and I was the one who drifted in and out, stole some of the family fortune, knocked up a kitchen maid and then buggared off for another five years.

We never talk about family and "close" stuff. I was surprised to learn from my daughter last week that for all these years, we have both been jealous of EACH OTHER!! OK, Maybe him a lot more than me, but the point is, you just have to find out the hard way. Probably best to not make life-changing decisions based on the opinions of old farts on an internet forum. ;)

You've preached this nonsensical bo llocks before Frank. The people that say money is not important are the ones that don't have any. Money is important, like it or not. My advice to young people is enjoy your youth, play as more sport as you can, get and education and see a bit of the world, the get career that rewards you. Certain people sneer at me on this forum for being in sales but if you're good it like I am you can earn as much if not more money than doctors, lawyer, policitians and scientists. And believe me when you're in sales and I mean proper sales, consultative sales where you influence and help grow people's business like we do, seeing people you like grow their business from £0.5m - £10m businesses in a few years because you've supported and your customers become friends, it's incredibly rewarding. The trouble with you lot is you think sales people just ring people up asking them to buy stuff, that isn't what it's about, but that's because most Internet people don't have a clue.

Somewhere between FC and Turkish (I mean philosophically, not physically... that would be horrible). Tried 'following my dreams' when I was younger; now I'm sick of being skint all the time. There's nothing worthy or romantic about having to worry about money for food. So now I've got a better job, which isn't my dream job or anything but it pays the bills. So, to answer the OP, in 12 months I'd like to be debt-free and I'd like the podcast I now make to top 1,000 listeners. I reckon both of those are achievable.

110_Persaint, following your dream is all well and good. But get a job that affords you both money and the spare time for dream-following; that's my advice.

Following your dreams is romanticised bo llocks spouted by people with no grip on reality. I agree with your final line, get a career that gives you the money to enjoy your dreams as a hobby, i've yet to meet may people who are truely happy that can't pay their bills every month.

You've preached this nonsensical bo llocks before Frank. The people that say money is not important are the ones that don't have any. Money is important, like it or not. My advice to young people is enjoy your youth, play as more sport as you can, get and education and see a bit of the world, the get career that rewards you. Certain people sneer at me on this forum for being in sales but if you're good it like I am you can earn as much if not more money than doctors, lawyer, policitians and scientists. And believe me when you're in sales and I mean proper sales, consultative sales where you influence and help grow people's business like we do, seeing people you like grow their business from £0.5m - £10m businesses in a few years because you've supported and your customers become friends, it's incredibly rewarding. The trouble with you lot is you think sales people just ring people up asking them to buy stuff, that isn't what it's about, but that's because most Internet people don't have a clue.

Too true.

A lot of my fellow graduates have gone into sales and they've all done extremely well at it, bringing in the bucks.

For me in a years time I wanted to move to a local job in Surrey with better pay, enabling myself and my other half to do 4 days a week so we can spend more time with our daughter. However, this has already been achieved :D

Now I've got 10 months before next year, what next...

Turkish sold me a printer cartridge last week and I gave him a tip. Now he thinks we're friends. Bless.

Selling ink cartridges for a living was one of the many true things I've said on here about my personal life.

most Internet people don't have a clue.

This has to be the most incredibly arrogant twaddle I've read on the internet today....And let's face it, the internet is full of internet people that don't have a clue. So that's saying something!