fao dubai phil / eric

CB Saint

My stupid knee has failed to recover from surgery so have to cancel my skiing holiday. so instead just booked a week in Dubai from saturday.

Would appreciate some ideas of stuff to do whilst there. Food, bars, activities etc

Cheers

PM me Eric is off on hols.

Sat & Sunday is the Golf - I can prob get you a Clubhouse ticket & Access for Saturday will try for Sunday - good place to chill out and have a few beers watch the guys come through. After party is always a bit of fun on Sunday. Alice Cooper is in da house all week working on getting him to play unplugged Sunday

Other must do's One Day hop on and off the Bus Tour good 8 hours worth from that must do The Museum & Abra trip, Gold Soukh

For another day trip PRE BOOK At The Top - Burj Khalifa online min 24 hours before - very busy often full and no spaces if you turn up. It is at Dubai Mall which is just nuts but the fish tank is cool, and go to Soukh Al Bahar watch the Dubai Fountain and have a cocktail at the 40th floor of Address Downtown in Neo's (10 quid a pop

MOST IMPORTANT - Beer is Aed 35/40 a pint = 7/8quid. IN ARRIVALS HALL by baggage reclaim is inbound Dubai Duty Free. Buy 12 packs of Tsing Tao (great lager) for Aed 42 for the hotel room one box = 1 litre of your allowance so get two = 24 tinnies in the room you can still get 2 x spirits or booze - IT SAVES A FORTUNE

We will do Ravi's Palace Restaurant for the best curry on the planet - join us & with the kids Rock Bottom Friday 9th for Karaoke & Bull frogs.

Evening you MUST do the desert safari - pick up from hotel Dune Bashing (those were the days on here) & the whole Bedouin Camp Camel rides malarky

Oh Air Supply (the like really old gooey slushy band are on the 9th at the golf club Aed 250 a ticket - 40 quid Stay to 21st - Stone Roses (Stay to 14th Dubai Jazz Festival starts (google)

Will be doing touristy stuff all week as Daughter & Son in Law in town so with phone nos we can meet up.

Saints Games are at Barasti Bar near the Marina - check @dubaisaints on twitter or Dubai Saints on FB for any updates

Oh day time 28C at the moment BUT bring a jumper or jacket for the evenings with the breeze can get cold - us locals are wearing fleeces we got down to 7C last week

Oh and the beach is pretty damned good during the day Barasti has beer all day IF you not at a Beach Hotel. Too bloody cold for us in the sea though - but warmer than the Med in summer

Bit of cash to burn? Seawings flight around Dubai in a Seaplane (google) Frdiay all you can eat and drink brunch from 50 quid up to 100 quid a head with bubbly. We do the 20 quid & 5 pints version tho

HTH

Plenty of other loonies down here now

Apparently 'Trader Vics' is popular with 'uddersfield's future managers...

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=80792

First date with FMDP they have a happy hour early on their cocktails - loads of branches here now Tika Puka Puka, Samoan Fog Cutter & Menihunie Juice.

Food is awesome as well Cosmo Titbits for starters

Oh and sod all chance of playing golf - all the tourists are here for the Desert Classic and so most courses in town booked solid all week

Apparently 'Trader Vics' is popular with 'uddersfield's future managers...

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=80792

ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't farking believe it.

I SAW NA 6 hours ago. FFS

There was a bloke came out at the golf club in Abu Dhabi - looked the spitting image of Nige inc the mannerisms. He was sitting about 70 yards away wearing White shirt tie & Dark Trousers and was starting a meeting with a mid 50's guy with short cropped grey hair who was wearing a paleish blue Polo shirt.

I actually said to the Manc I had been playing with - Ha that looks like Adkins, then said pah wtf would he be doing here in Abu Dhabi

Oh Krap bugger feckballs Krap

OK it DEFFO was not the Udders Chairman he was with just googled him

Edited by dubai_phil

My stupid knee has failed to recover from surgery so have to cancel my skiing holiday. so instead just booked a week in Dubai from saturday.

Would appreciate some ideas of stuff to do whilst there. Food, bars, activities etc

Cheers

You have my sympathy at missing out on skiing, Mrs EoA broke her leg 14 months ago so have missed the last 2 seasons.

Phil has covered a ultitude of things to do, but you can also have a browse through www.timeoutdubai.com for more info.

Have fun. I'm going opposite direction, fitting in Man U and Wigan away, so won't be able to meet you.

Oh Krap.

Trust your instinct

I really should have taken a pic of the back of the person I thought could be NA.

I've found what I think is a picture of the medium height mid 50's short cut grey hair that was sitting with him.

If it really was them.

Eric? IF I had taken a pic of we wouldn't have had to pay for beer for the rest of the season it would have been "Exclusive" to the highest bidder and am sure a National would have wanted it

sh1t sh1t sh1t

Thanks for the info.

Will definitely be doing the khalifa and apparently you can go diving in the aquarium so that might be on the cards.

Thanks for the offer of the golf, however the missus lovely is being a tad reluctant, so against my better judgement, we'll pass.

We are about to work out our itinery, so will let you know where we are.

CB

Ps your pm box is full

Thanks for the info.

Will definitely be doing the khalifa and apparently you can go diving in the aquarium so that might be on the cards.

Thanks for the offer of the golf, however the missus lovely is being a tad reluctant, so against my better judgement, we'll pass.

We are about to work out our itinery, so will let you know where we are.

CB

Ps your pm box is full

PM's Sorted

IF you are in to diving (with a tank on your back Bearsy/Tokes) then consider a couple of days at Le Meridien Al Aqha Beach, Rotana Al Aqha or if you want to have old fashioned basic bungalow on the beach Sandy Beach Hotel in Fujeirah.

Real old fashioned Arabic hotel Club sandwich for dinner IF you are lucky BUT we love the place.

It's a good 2 hour drive on the East Coast (the bit facing India). Sandy Beach has a "Rock" 400 yards off shore (looks like Snoopy laying on his back) with some coral and fish and some fair sized Black Tip Reef Sharks (nothing too scary to swim with biggest is around 4 metres) - nice beach & can snorkel if other half doesn't dive beats the fish tank.

Take beer BUT there is a booze shop (hole in the wall we call it at Sandy Beach selling booze at Duty Free Prices and shop for Steaks (Aussie Rib Eyes) at Spinneys & BBQ charcoal salad etc they have skanky but functional bbqs at each bungalow chock full of vodka drinking Russians - Le Merid for class, style & fine dining and a nice pool & sailing and can do dive trips from there. 2 nights max sod all to do except sit on beach & pay 5 * prices but the drive IS spectacular through the mountains

Plenty of Dive Shops here in Dubai at the hotels and will do a basic open water experience - not so much fish on this side of the sand, more wreck based dives here

Golf - about 8/10,000 people over the weekend, nice walk in the sun then Sunday a decent party live music etc don't need to like golf to enjoy the scenery & sun & beers ain't met a chick yet who doesn't like looking at Sergio once you tell them he plays Commando ;)

Big decision is big bucks on the beach or a City Hotel with a shuttle to a public beach. Some hotels out on the Palm are MILES from anywhere so you pay a fortune IF you can get a taxi. Hotels on Jumeira Beach Walk have non stop parade of locals beeping their horns all night and at the moment limited beach access so be warned.

Oh and unless you are married DON'T kiss in public! Stringy tops in Malls - Tee Shirts and knee length unless you want to be leered at bare shoulders = whore over here to some parts of the culture keep them for the pubs and clubs no problem if you go back & forwards in taxis just not walking around in day time

FCO web site gives advice on that

On a budget check out the many Serviced Apartments in the town can get a bigger place and cheaper than 5 star just hop to the supermarket we have a Waitrose FFS

Edited by dubai_phil