New citizenship test

pap

Yeah, me too - piece of the proverbial, really.

It's as if they want more people to come in :)

Without meaning to rise to your bait and feed the troll (which of course means I'm going to do exactly that), you would fully expect to get almost all these right if you are a Brit. It's not supposed to be difficult to pass if you've spent your whole life here. The test is for those coming from afar to see how much they know compared to what is standard knowledge in the UK. It's a bit like someone who has been driving for 20 years but hasn't practised for his test be surprised to hear than an examiner would have passed him.

Of course you'll still get the odd thickie who is beyond help, and will probably score around 4/10.

FWIW I got 9/10 (guessed low on the age of jury duty), but then I've not lived in the UK for nearly 4 years so am on the decline.

Without meaning to rise to your bait and feed the troll (which of course means I'm going to do exactly that), you would fully expect to get almost all these right if you are a Brit. It's not supposed to be difficult to pass if you've spent your whole life here. The test is for those coming from afar to see how much they know compared to what is standard knowledge in the UK. It's a bit like someone who has been driving for 20 years but hasn't practised for his test be surprised to hear than an examiner would have passed him.

Of course you'll still get the odd thickie who is beyond help, and will probably score around 4/10.

FWIW I got 9/10 (guessed low on the age of jury duty), but then I've not lived in the UK for nearly 4 years so am on the decline.

I tried the old one and failed. Seemed to be full of even more irrelevant stuff than the new one.

I agree that my point was provocative :)

I'm fairly sure that most Brits would do alright on this test, and you're right - it's ingrained in a lot of us and not stuff we're like to forget.

I had to guess on jury duty, but went with 18 because these days, you can do pretty much anything at that age.

That all said, my point still stands. All of this stuff is easily findable on the Internet, and you can be sure that there will be agencies making a business out of priming people for the citizenship test, which defeats the whole point anyway. Will any citizenship test produce better Brits, or is it just another hoop for determined migrants to jump through? If you're moving to another country, bit of revision won't hurt, will it?

That all said, my point still stands. All of this stuff is easily findable on the Internet, and you can be sure that there will be agencies making a business out of priming people for the citizenship test, which defeats the whole point anyway. Will any citizenship test produce better Brits, or is it just another hoop for determined migrants to jump through? If you're moving to another country, bit of revision won't hurt, will it?

Exactly.

What was the point in this. I am sick to the back teeth of having my intelligence insulted by ****ing politicians.

I am off to live with the badgers on Exmoor.

Exactly.

What was the point in this. I am sick to the back teeth of having my intelligence insulted by ****ing politicians.

I am off to live with the badgers on Exmoor.

Not so fast... have you passed the badgers of Exmoor citizenship test yet?

1. What is the name of the king of the badgers of Exmoor? (etc etc)

9/10 in all seriousness my mrs has to do one of these in march. Looking at her book some of the stuff is quite useful, for exams the education system (what is a GCSE, A level etc) but some of it most of my friends wouldn't know. The large chapter on the house of lords seems a bit pointless as the will probably be changing the whole thing soon.

Edit - she is doing a 'Britishness' test for indefinite leave on her visa not exactly this one. As she won't get to vote etc, the house of lords stuff seems even more unnecessary. I bet they just voted that this should be put into the test. Between sleeps of course.

This is a much better test than the previous one. I would be fairly confident in the expectation that around 80% of our indigenous population would have failed the last one, which is ironic in the extreme, that immigrants could only stay here if they knew more about our country than us.

I agree that my point was provocative :)

I'm fairly sure that most Brits would do alright on this test, and you're right - it's ingrained in a lot of us and not stuff we're like to forget.

I had to guess on jury duty, but went with 18 because these days, you can do pretty much anything at that age.

I disagree. If people coming to this country are prepared to spend a bit of time familiarising themselves with knowledge of the UK history, geography and culture then I'm all for it. Isn't that the point? I'm not sure they are trying to weedle out only those with some innate knowledge of our green and pleasant land (from a previous life perhaps?).

Did you think the one bout the paralympic games was odd. Why not the actual lympics?

Also i think the questions was a bit technical, it don't really matter if people know that St. David built Stonehenge or whatever. They should use this as opportunity to weed out the "wrong sort" IMO it should be questions like:

When you get job at KFC drive through and i come through in my car and order zinger tower meal will you make me park up in my car while you fvvck about backstage watching hollyoaks or will you give me my chicken burger straight away?