Southampton TV

Sharktopus

Does anyone else remember this local channel, think it started about 10 years back. Also called sixTV I think?

Mainly showed adverts for Kuti's Brasserie, 'My name is Matthew Le Tissier and La Lupa is my favourite Italian restaurant in Southampton', 70s public information films, some weird Aussie soap called The Sullivans, Sky News updates and best of all Trans World Sport at a time that wan't 7am on a Saturday.

Also there were some cracking student made tv shows, one of which I remember was filmed in the Tudor House Garden!

Does anyone else remember it? Did anyone work on it? Is it still going?

I can't take the views of any whippersnapper who calls The Sullivans 'some weird Aussie soap' seriously.

Sorry Pops. But I've only got room for one Aussie soap at a time, and if it's a choice between some Second World War soap or Neighbours with Toadie, Flick Scully and Libby Kennedy to name just a few of MANY LEGENDS then it's Neighbours every time.

Also, Lou Carpenter and Harold Bishop. Lads.

There was a time when these local stations were quite common. We used to have a channel called Liverpool One, which went under. Good job really. We have a shopping centre called that now. Would have been confusing. Think L1 was late 90s though.

Me and a friend started making a programme about Benali for that. It never got finished due to us being lazy but we got to interview Franny a few times, had full access to St Mary's to interview Matty (imagine that happening now!) and spent time filming at Staplewood.

One of our trips to Staplewood coincided with an exciting transfer or something happening when Strachan was manager. There were scores of journalists hanging around the gates and in the car park, none of whom were granted access to the players or management except us, 2 ramshackle, scruffy oiks who were greeted at the gates and happily walked through with our equipment to the disgust of the rest of the media.

Yeah, we had the mighty TauntonTV.

They did some good local history programmes but couldn't get the advertising.

I did an interview with them, looked forward to watching it the next day, only to find they'd gone off the air for good overnight. Never did see it.

My big break FFS!