lindsey Sandiford suing the Government

Viking Warrior

I see Miss sandiford is suing the British Government over not providing a lawyer

As you know She was sentenced to death at Denpasar District Court last week after being caught attempting to smuggle £1.6 million of cocaine into Indonesia. She insisted that she had been simply been trying to protect her adult sons, one of whom had been threatened by a drugs gang who suspected him of being a police informant, she has said..

Solicitors Leigh Day & Co has filed for judicial review on Friday on Ms Sandiford’s behalf against the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, arguing that: “In failing to make arrangements for an adequate lawyer to represent the Claimant's interests the Defendant is acting unlawfully, in breach of its obligations as a matter of EU law, to take all reasonable steps to ensure that she (a) does not face the death penalty, (b) is not subjected to inhumane and degrading treatment, © is not tortured and (d) receives a fair trial.”

I dont think she should be executed but I dont think she will be, but thats another point . She knew what she was doing smubggling 1.6million pounds worth of cocaine she must have known the risk, as there have been several similar cases in Bali and Thailand

So should us tax payers pay for her to have lawyers to represent her or is this a case

What ever happened to the concept of accepting responsibility for your actions? Why should the long suffering taxpayer be liable for the legal representation of a drug pedlar?

She did the crime . Now she can do the time (or what is left of it)

What the hell are you on about Tokyo. I was an innocent bystander for which they have apologised to me and the other person.

This woman was found with 1.6 million pounds worth of cocaine.

I like your subtle humour though Tokyo

Mmmmmm let's just say it was similar. For the compliment I will down grade it to quite similar if you like.

No seriously, I don't know much about this case other than what you have put but I am guessing her argument is that she had the right to a leagal defence and wasn't given one. There may (or may not) be some factor we don't know about that she wanted to use in her defence or to mitigate the crime. Pressure from a 3rd party or something similar.

The value of any drugs bust is always massively over estimated. They usually place the highest street value of a small portion of the drug and then times it by the weight. I don't think she planned on breaking it up and selling it herself. I expect her cut was massively smaller.

The sentence is harsh and I now see she lost her case in the courts today . She was either very simple and was used as a drugs mule or she was just plain stupid trying to take drugs into Bali . She will not be the first but she will not be the last who get caught smuggling drugs into these countries .

I see there are a few other books there Tokyo . hotel k and others about being incarcerated in prisons in Bali for drug peddling innocent folk and guilty folk . I think this Lindsey person is a guilty person as she was only appealing against the death sentence and has not been protesting her innocence .

Said on the radio this morning that the £2,500 she was after wasn't to pay for a lawyer - apparently she's got one for free through some charity who looks after Brits abroad, but to pay his expenses while representing her.

That said, still don't she it's our place to pay it - she knew what she was doing, suggestion was it wasn't the first time she'd done it either.

This case is outside the territories and jurisdiction of the UK. Basically, you're on your own love.

She's a UK citizen, and the UK government officially disagrees with capital punishment. She's entitled to whatever help we can give her. Its easy to pass judgement from our computer screens, but what if she's being truthful and a drug gang actually did tell they'd kill her sons? What would you do?

I see there are a few other books there Tokyo . hotel k and others about being incarcerated in prisons in Bali for drug peddling innocent folk and guilty folk . I think this Lindsey person is a guilty person as she was only appealing against the death sentence and has not been protesting her innocence .

Yeah the guy in the damage done is guilty as well and also gets the death sentence. I read it years and years ago and got through the whole book straight in just a few hours. It won't win any awards but had me gripped (I was in my early twenties) at the time. I was also in Thailand when I read it so helped to set the scene. Well worth a read.