Youth coaches Corner...

vince

There's been a few threads recently about people on here taking the FA Level 1, starting coaching nippers, etc, maybe a thread with drills, ideas, resources and the like would be useful for some, so I'll start with a couple....

I coach my lads U7 side (have done the Level 1, will be doing the youth modules in the summer), and one game they like we call "sharks", where you have an area coned out in a suitable size for the kids you have in the session to be able to dribble around freely in with a bit of space. I pick two boys to be the "sharks" and give them bibs to wear and they come outside the area with me, while the other boys dribble around inside the area. The sharks and I run round the edge, until I shout "go!" and then the sharks try to kick the balls out, while the boys try to defend their ball. I tell the sharks that they can't run forward, they must run another way - side step or similar, just to make it harder for them and easier for the boys to defend their ball, giving them a little more time. After a brief "attack" you change the sharks. The kids seem to really like that one, and I debrief them at the end by asking them how do they protect their ball, how do they move out of the way of the shark, how do they know where the sharks are, just to get them thinking about the exercise.

We end the session with a free for all game, but just before that, I get them to play a game of thirds, where we cone of the pitch in thirds, and put the kids in a specific third - so for 6 a side, you have a keeper and two defenders in the last third, two midfielders in the middle third, and a single attacker in the final third and they are not allowed to leave that third. This makes them pass between the areas and think about movement within their area.

When we go into the free for all game (i.e. remove the cones separating the pitch into thirds) I've recently asked one of the boys in turns of a couple of minutes or so, to "play the final third" for me, asking them to stay at the back and take them through what they should think about (can you see the nearest attacker and the ball, are you positioned between the ball and your goal, is there anyone behind you, are you too deep) and this is beginning to work really well for that age group, they take their turn and they defend their goal.

I do a load more things with them, but would be interested in what others do - even for different age groups, just to get a few more ideas.

I was thinking of doing this, but chose to referee instead. The coaches get as much stick from the players as I do!

You need a lot of time and dedication, to do this. Training, travelling, and getting the team together. Is something I hope to do in the next few years.

Vince, the problem with mini league football is the bad habits the players get into, such as the 'get between the ball and the goal' logic you refer to.

Once your team start Tyro at U11, with offside you need your defenders to be aware of where each other are and to move them out together, leaving the striker(s) behind.

I have still not managed to escape being a youth team manager, fourteen years now, and I would say the main thing is to keep the players interested as they arrive at 17-18 years old and have often had enough of it all.

I took a team from U8 to U18 and then stayed on in the county youth league with subsequent sides thereafter. It is the best age group, as you only have the interested boys playing, not those playing because their father likes football or their mother requires a baby sitter.

They are also on a level playing field as in the younger age groups the successful sides all seem to have the taller players, often much more mature looking lads a foot or more taller .With little protection the smaller build lads have to fight for possession, but eventually end up far better players.

I was thinking of doing this, but chose to referee instead. The coaches get as much stick from the players as I do!

Sorry to veer off topic a bit, but my 14 old lad is thinking about taking up reffing, mainly as a way to be involved in football and earn a bit of pocket money. Unfortunately it means the bank of dad has to shell out £150 on a basic ref course. I'm assuming you've already done this so can you give me an idea what its like, is it easy enough? He's played right through to tyro so has a decent grasp of the rules, and if he went for it would only be doing mini soccer anyway.. Cheers

Sorry to veer off topic a bit, but my 14 old lad is thinking about taking up reffing, mainly as a way to be involved in football and earn a bit of pocket money. Unfortunately it means the bank of dad has to shell out £150 on a basic ref course. I'm assuming you've already done this so can you give me an idea what its like, is it easy enough? He's played right through to tyro so has a decent grasp of the rules, and if he went for it would only be doing mini soccer anyway.. Cheers

Shell out £150? Have you contacted Hampshire FA for options?

My lad is 15 and did this in the Summer, is he in Southampton? If so he is very lucky as there is fantastic support

for the young refs from Albert, Ian and the mentors.

My lad has been lucky enough to ref some academy games at Staplewood.

Its very daunting for the lads at the start and they need a bit of support from dad but they soon learn

and recommend it highly to you - if your lad is only 14 suggest you start off in mini soccer for a few weeks

before doing some Tyro.

There are some great teams as well as some right old numpties on the touchlines but your lad will be taken

care of. Join him in the local ref association its great for them to see the older refs have same issues as them

and learn how to deal with them - my lad has grown amazingly since doing it he is now very confident,

outgoing and improved his personal skills.

If you want any more advice or help just let me know.

You may also have to think about the kit as that another £90 :-) but he will soon earn that back.

Vince, the problem with mini league football is the bad habits the players get into, such as the 'get between the ball and the goal' logic you refer to.

Once your team start Tyro at U11, with offside you need your defenders to be aware of where each other are and to move them out together, leaving the striker(s) behind.

I have still not managed to escape being a youth team manager, fourteen years now, and I would say the main thing is to keep the players interested as they arrive at 17-18 years old and have often had enough of it all.

I took a team from U8 to U18 and then stayed on in the county youth league with subsequent sides thereafter. It is the best age group, as you only have the interested boys playing, not those playing because their father likes football or their mother requires a baby sitter.

They are also on a level playing field as in the younger age groups the successful sides all seem to have the taller players, often much more mature looking lads a foot or more taller .With little protection the smaller build lads have to fight for possession, but eventually end up far better players.

The transition to 11 a side will now be via 9 a side with limited off side ( subbuteo style).

Vince its all about short sided games, get the lads to have as many touches of the ball as you can.

One drill I still do even at u16 is to split them into teams of 3 number each team, half a pitch, small goals, line up half way on each side of the pitch and call out the number(s) , each team has 2 attackers 1 defender - attackers go up to the half way and round a cone , defenders go the cone nearest goal and defend and play against each other.

Lads enjoy the competition, improves both tackling, defensive awareness and attackers passing to each other.

Thanks for that. The "get between the ball and goal" bit (and the game of thirds) is an attempt to start to give them some idea of basic positioning and to stop the "quick kid" emerging from the bunch and running unopposed to score every time - I appreciate they are U7 and are doing the bees round a honey pot thing, but it seems to have worked quite well so far.

Speaking to the coaches of the older groups (we do U6-U11) they have talked about telling the defenders to pretend to be attached together by elastic, to introduce the movement you talk about, and I will try that too.

The one thing the Level 1 taught me the most, and changed what I did the most, in a session was to debrief them after a drill/game, getting them to think and answer/ask questions about it - basically get them to work it out for themselves so they think about it more during the play, rather than look to me to tell them.

Vince its all about short sided games, get the lads to have as many touches of the ball as you can.

One drill I still do even at u16 is to split them into teams of 3 number each team, half a pitch, small goals, line up half way on each side of the pitch and call out the number(s) , each team has 2 attackers 1 defender - attackers go up to the half way and round a cone , defenders go the cone nearest goal and defend and play against each other.

Lads enjoy the competition, improves both tackling, defensive awareness and attackers passing to each other.

Cheers - will try that one, we do do a lot of SSG's. The kids quite like this one as well, which gets them passing and talking - again, an achievement in itself for U7s!

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/don%27t_let_the_ball_stop.htm#

A quick warm up drill get them to stand opposite each other 5 yards to start with - progression is to 10 yards.

One side starts with the ball each and passes to the lad opposite (who remain stationary) and then moves right and receives the pass back from the lad who was facing the lad next to him - the end player runs round and starts again - make them wait until the player is opposite.

Poor control, underhit or overhit breaks it all down, gets them passing moving, head up, calling and waiting until a player is in position. Swap over after 2 complete rotations.

Very simple but effective.

Teached our team from U8 till juniors.

Loved having keep ball sessions with the boys.

Three teams of 3 or 4. 2 teams against 1. Tight coned area , no goals.

and

7 v 7 , 2 bibed players play for the team with ball. Half pitch , no goals.

Gets them thinking about one/two touch, passing, ball controll, movement and possesion and NOT just shooting, score to win mentality.

Jesus £150? It cost me £35, and I got it back after refereeing 6 games. There was a recruitment drive 3 years ago, so this could be why so cheap.

There are loads of youngsters out there refereeing and I think it is great for the game.

Check this out. http://www.hampshirefa.com/referees/basic-referee-courses

Looks like it is £85 now.

If you know the game and the basic rules already then it will not be a problem. I do remember being surprised at a few things that came up. I think all supporters should do this course, as some around me at games are clueless.

If anyone would like any resources, I'm more than happy to share my sessions via email.

From mini soccer to academy.

Best advice I would give a mini soccer coach for technical progression, invest in size one footballs. I use with 7 year olds to 18 year olds.

How much abuse of Referees get these days, been thinking about it but remember in my playing days it was a nightmare!???

Not that bad, but you do need to be a little thick skinned and can never let you question your decisions. At first I used to think I was getting loads wrong, and now I know I get something's wrong, but mostly the players are idiots!

Just like when a club line person is running the line!

No, the opposite, as club linesmen cover their own left back's line.

So every attack is signalled by an off side flag even when you tell your strikers to drop back a yard.

Played a great game at Hythe Strikers ( I think) at U15s once. 0-0 at half time, the ref told me he would stop play if the linesman raised his flag; and the (club ) lino said he would flag when we attacked and it was up to the ref to determine if he was correct.

I put my strikers in midfield and got them to run straight through, we won 6-0.

Happy days !

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bring this up again, having just done the FA Youth Module 1 over the last 4 Sundays (heat nearly killed me, tbh). I must say fair play to the FA, as if this is how they have restructured coaching courses for grass roots level coaches for U5-U11, then I think they are on the right track, throughly enjoyable course and would recommend it to others coaching in that age bracket.

The bloke that did it was Chris McGinn, who I think was at Forest under Clough for the 1979 league cup final, but he's also worked with England under Erikson and at Arsenal with their youth, having Wiltshire as a 12YO, and Fabragas at 16 (he told a great story about Fabragas's technical awareness at 16 in his early training sessions). He said he'd done some work for Hampshire FA, so some of you may already be aware of him.

Chris is a fantastic tutor, had the pleasure of sitting my Youth Module Two through him whilst he was with Fulham. If you get the chance to work with him or Andy Ritchie, make the most of it.

Some of you may be aware I had previously worked at a PL club for three years and was recently offered a position with the FA. Since I joined them, I can assure you the FA are working in the right direction!

We will get there, just not overnight. I am more than happy to share sessions from grass roots/academy sessions and some resources.