I need a job....

Saint Garrett

Although currently working in temporary roles I am looking for something a lot more long term.

I am a recent graduate in Accountancy and Finance 2:2 as of June, and am looking to start my career in it....(looking to do CIMA!)

Have tried a variety of agencies, websites, applying directly to companies among other things and haven't yet had any luck.

Does anyone have any insider tips, or advice from people who already work in this field about how it's best to go about things?

I am currently doing temp roles which are finance based (admin/purchase ledger/tax) which is all good experience for me, but nothing has realy taken off yet.

Any advice would be welcome. The best one I have had so far was from a close family friend who said "Move to New Zealand as they're desparate for people to fulfill finance accounting roles". Although not ideal, it could be potential if I don't find anything soon.

Where you looking to be based?

I was out of work for quite a while after I graduated. I came across this agency, http://www.inspiringinterns.com/, and found them to be brilliant. Unconventional, but streets ahead of any other agency (trust me I went through a lot).

Within a week, they got me an interview with Man Utd, yeah I know, but still a great opportunity that I would have taken in a heart beat. A week later they got me another interview which was very well suited to me, and I got the job, which I'm still in (9 months later).

Not sure what they'll have relevant for you, or in your area - but I would certainly recommend giving them a go.

Good luck mate, it's bloody brutal out there!

Kelvin, cheers for the info will definitely check that one out. Looks very interesting.

Don't really mind where I'm based tbh. Either round Basingstoke or in a city somewhere...not really fussed, although ideally down south as I've got a season ticket, but would just have to give that up if I was to move away.

DPS that's intriguing! Where is she based? Is it her own company or what? Can PM me if you don't want to put personal details on here.

You could do New Zealand and keep applying for UK jobs until you get one (possibly ending up like Saint in Paradise though).

No, definitely not!

You will not get a job in the UK until you move back to the UK if you went this route! Think about it, you apply for a job, the application is successful, you get offered a phone interview - slight problem being 11 or so hours ahead, but still just about do-able. You pass the phone interview and get offered a face to face interview. Do you fly back at short notice - a couple of days or a week's notice at best - shelling out for the flight in the hope that you might get offered the job? No chance you're gonna risk it. This is why no agency will even bother to call you in the first place, because they can in no way guarantee to 'deliver' you to the client!

My advice, keep doing the temp jobs, as it is, believe it or not, a lot easier to get a job while you're in a job! They may not be what you want to do, but like you say, they're good experience, they'll be paying you some money and you'll be meeting people who may or may not know of someone else hiring.

Try contacting some of the bigger companies to see if they offer an internship - near you, you have Friend's Life in Salisbury, Unum in Dorking and a whole bunch of FS companies in London!

The finance market is pretty dire at the moment with the likes of Skandia in Southampton shedding staff hand over fist, however the word 'on the street' is that they have all pretty much 'over culled' in recent months, so will be looking to replace with new blood in the not so distant future, so the future could be profitable for you :D

Kelvin, cheers for the info will definitely check that one out. Looks very interesting.

Don't really mind where I'm based tbh. Either round Basingstoke or in a city somewhere...not really fussed, although ideally down south as I've got a season ticket, but would just have to give that up if I was to move away.

DPS that's intriguing! Where is she based? Is it her own company or what? Can PM me if you don't want to put personal details on here.

Most welcome my friend, as I said been there myself, and know how hard it is.

Obviously they are internships to start with, but most are looking to keep people on. I started off on a 3 month internship, but was kept on subsequently.

Let them know I referred you, it might help out, they seem to like word of mouth.

I think most of their stuff is London based, but they do get other stuff. That said, London should be commutable for most games. Plus, there's certainly worse things than living in London.

I know it is hard for people to get into accountancy roles with a degree, rather than a professional qualification, which most employers look for now.

More likely to take on an AAT qualified person, than someone with an accounts degree.

I would get going on CIMA if management accounts is the way you want to go, or ACA if you want to work in a practice.

Where does a degree leave you? What level on the professional scale? Might be worth, just taking your AAT exams just to get the recognition and your foot on the accountancy ladder.

I have worked in accounts for 15 years now, credit manager ICM, and AAT in accounts.

It gives a few exemptions from professional exams but not 100% sure on which precise ones. Need to look into that.

I'm looking to get into a company who are willing to fund my studies ideally, as it's pretty expensive to just pay for it in my own. Also I think I'm a better learner when I'm doing something rather than just academic....(realised this about halfway through uni!!)

Thanks for all your feedback.

I know it is hard for people to get into accountancy roles with a degree, rather than a professional qualification, which most employers look for now.

More likely to take on an AAT qualified person, than someone with an accounts degree.

I would get going on CIMA if management accounts is the way you want to go, or ACA if you want to work in a practice.

Where does a degree leave you? What level on the professional scale? Might be worth, just taking your AAT exams just to get the recognition and your foot on the accountancy ladder.

I have worked in accounts for 15 years now, credit manager ICM, and AAT in accounts.

and you hate it so shouldnt you be telling him to avoid going into it as you'll only save yourself a whole world of pain in the future?

and you hate it so shouldnt you be telling him to avoid going into it as you'll only save yourself a whole world of pain in the future?

Great point, been in Accountancy for ten years and most of that time I've spent wishing I was doing something more inspiring, creative and rewarding. The money is good which is why I haven't changed career yet.

If you're determined to get into it then you really need to hawk your CV round as many places as possible. With respect most big employers look for a 2:1 and an accountancy degree doesn't count for that much so building up experience and proving your desire through temping is good. If you want to go into practice (tax, audit etc) then you might find it hard with a 2:2 to get in with a big name but you'll be able to join a smaller practice and if you do well in your studies then a move to a bigger firm is a well trodden path. Have a look at the graduate recruitment schemes of big private sector employers (BAE, Tesco, BA, etc) as well as public sector (NHS, Civil Service) - they all offer routes to a good qualification and good career opportunities.

Each to there own, it pays the bills.

Doing a sports therapy course at the moment, so fingers crossed I can make the change. :)

Most welcome my friend, as I said been there myself, and know how hard it is.

Obviously they are internships to start with, but most are looking to keep people on. I started off on a 3 month internship, but was kept on subsequently.

Let them know I referred you, it might help out, they seem to like word of mouth.

I think most of their stuff is London based, but they do get other stuff. That said, London should be commutable for most games. Plus, there's certainly worse things than living in London.

Would rather commute, London is unless you are living in a desirable area an overpriced overcrowded ****hole but if you are living somewhere sweet and earning good money then its awesome.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

No, definitely not!

You will not get a job in the UK until you move back to the UK if you went this route! Think about it, you apply for a job, the application is successful, you get offered a phone interview - slight problem being 11 or so hours ahead, but still just about do-able. You pass the phone interview and get offered a face to face interview. Do you fly back at short notice - a couple of days or a week's notice at best - shelling out for the flight in the hope that you might get offered the job? No chance you're gonna risk it. This is why no agency will even bother to call you in the first place, because they can in no way guarantee to 'deliver' you to the client!

My advice, keep doing the temp jobs, as it is, believe it or not, a lot easier to get a job while you're in a job! They may not be what you want to do, but like you say, they're good experience, they'll be paying you some money and you'll be meeting people who may or may not know of someone else hiring.

Try contacting some of the bigger companies to see if they offer an internship - near you, you have Friend's Life in Salisbury, Unum in Dorking and a whole bunch of FS companies in London!

The finance market is pretty dire at the moment with the likes of Skandia in Southampton shedding staff hand over fist, however the word 'on the street' is that they have all pretty much 'over culled' in recent months, so will be looking to replace with new blood in the not so distant future, so the future could be profitable for you :D

Can't you do a video link interview over the net these days?