F1 - SPA-Francorchamps

Saint Garrett

Anyone ever been to an F1 race? Me and a few mates are thinking we might head over to Belgium for Spa this year, (23rd August) Always quite a decent race, and unpredictable weather. Any tips on where to stay or how to get there? If we do end up going, I think we'll probably drive over and get the ferry to Dunkirk then camp at the circuit. Tickets are around £100 for the weekend, which I thought was pretty good - not sure how that matches up against other race weekends ?

I've been, a good weekend, decent circuit, sensible for travel from UK, take a raincoat.

My hot tip is don't save money on the tickets or you will end up balanced on a fencepost a mile from the circuit.

Pay as much as you can afford to get a decent view.

And make sure they don't put mayonaise on your chips, it's just wrong.

Once you've ticked off your F1 holiday make sure you go and see some proper exciting motorsport like a rally.

RoundyRoundy is okay but get into the woods and witness the most fun that two people can have in a forest without Stan Collymore nearby.

Hi Saint Garratt,

I went with some mates last year - awesome weekend - except for grosjean ruining the 'race' as a spectacle at the first corner.

We got the eurotunnel and drove from Calais. Have to say, we drive to Le Mans or another European GP once a year, and this was the first on Eurotunnel - and I doubt we'll ever get on a boat across the channel again.!!

Camped in the green camping site, approx 5 mins walk from the entrance gate up at Les Combes, all sorted through the main website - http://www.spagrandprix.com. The standard ticket was all you need, but you will need to get up early for a really good spot - being so close to Germany, there are a lot of very keen early risers who WILL beat you to the circuit on race day!

Awesome pub in La Source for after Saturday practice/support races - serves the best cherry brandy tasting lager you'll ever have - and being Belguim, you won't need too many. Be wary, the circuit gates shut at some point after racing, and getting from La Source back to Les Combes is a bit of a trek (we got hopelessly lost -cherry brandy lager will do that) and luckily bumped into a taxi man. Awesome weekend - would heavily recommend it. Missed the Utd game though!

See you at the Francorchamps Racing Hotel Saturday night for a few!!

Went there when I was 12 in 1998, when Hill won in the Jordan. Have also been to Hockenheim and the Nurburgring, would suggest you go to one of those 2 instead of Spa. Spa is a great track, but the facilities at the other 2 tracks is much better, and price wise, you would get more value for money going to Hockenheim or the Ring.

At Hockenheim the camping have decent facilities, and you are whatever camping you are at, its at walking distance from the track. Both German races have great parties going on during the weekend, with some amazing strippers the last time I was at Hockenheim.

Went for the first time last year and it was baking hot. Stayed in Brussels and coached in, it got there relatively early so finding a decent place to watch (general admission) wasn't a problem. Next time i'd probably go for a grandstand though (was too busy taking pictures than watching the race).

All sounds very good. Think we're going to do it as it's something a bit different to do and a good long weekend to do.

I've found this which doesn't look too bad. When do people go? We're thinking of driving over on Thursday and driving back on the Monday or is this too long?!

http://www.campingf1.com/prices/show_package/59

Also what is the etiquette for when the racing is on? Can you get beers and stuff at the circuit or is it not that kind of vibe ? And wondering about evening. Is there a good few bars within walking distance ? Sounds like I won't need much to drink apart from the cherry brandy beer!

Anyone ever been to an F1 race? Me and a few mates are thinking we might head over to Belgium for Spa this year, (23rd August) Always quite a decent race, and unpredictable weather. Any tips on where to stay or how to get there? If we do end up going, I think we'll probably drive over and get the ferry to Dunkirk then camp at the circuit. Tickets are around £100 for the weekend, which I thought was pretty good - not sure how that matches up against other race weekends ?

I went to Monza 2 years ago with the missus, we had a great time. One warning, people will tell you it's loud, and you'll be like, yeah I know what loud is, I iz been to Beefa and all that. This is on a different class of loud, so take ear defenders of some description.

Always wanted to go to Spa, great circuit.

We had a thunderstorm on the Friday. Hammered it down all day. Then we had a wet/dry Saturday, damp Sunday morning then rain in the last half hour of the race.

I hated the rain. I just remember the torrential rain and being sat on mud banks where the mud was literally washing away from under us. Stupid rain.

I've been to all the European GPs. It's an amazing thing to do. Go to Monza, San Marino or Monaco if you want to do one abroad, by far the best in Europe. Monza is class, the Italians get so behind the Ferrari team it's frightening. A fantastic experience. I loved it. Luckily for me my company (welll me) won the contact for Forumla One this year again so ill be going to quite a few this year too, FOC and in the sponsors lounge mixing with the rich and famous and lording it up in the 5 star hotels too. Just saying like.

• 4 weeks later...

So.

Booked our tickets yesterday. 4 of us going.

Now just need to decide on our plan.

We've been discussing the idea of going out on the Wednesday and driving to Liege and staying there for a night. Then heading over to Spa (Not yet sure on campsites - any advice would be good?) for the gridwalk in the afternoon. Friday we were thinking of having a wander around the whole circuit so we can see it all. Saturday heading over to a place on the circuit to find a good place to watch Qualifying, and then Sunday have been told to turn up very early to get a decent spot.

Staying Sunday night, and then working our way back on Monday, stopping somewhere on the way back (not yet been decided) and then come back to England on the Tuesday. Very excited as I've never really been to a racing event before.

I'm assuming there is plenty happening in the evenings ?!

I hated the rain. I just remember the torrential rain and being sat on mud banks where the mud was literally washing away from under us. Stupid rain.

you hated the rain? Really? You never said :)

That umbrella is still going strong btw