Left 4 Dead Opening Cinematic

St Marco

• 11 months later...

I finally picked this up last week for a mere 22 quid new at Gamestation - a bit late but nevermind - and it's fecking awesome, isn't it?

I've never had a game that I've replayed, let alone so many times. OK the single player options are short but they're so engrossing and the AI is so good that replaying each level does not feel like doing the same thing over and over.

Love it.

Is L4D 2 out soon?

Yeah next month i think. It is class isn't it.

When your one of the bad guys, it can be so funny to pick one of the straglers off. It is one of those games that gets the sounds just right so can make you crap yourself at any momment.

Love zombie games. Can't wait for number 2 and Dead Rising 2.

The reason I didn't buy L4D was Dead Rising. I didn't enjoy that as much as I thought I would and it put me off L4D. I only bought it this time round as I traded in 160 quids worth of games and wanted a new FPS to see me through to MW2.

What's the premise? Is it like Resi Evil, i.e third person survival kinda thing?

Nah it is a unique game that is a bit hard to explain.

Basically you have 4 players (of which either can be human or computer controlled). The aim is for them to get from one place to another place i.e a safe house.

The world has gone tits up and is filled with zombies and wierd monsters. So you play in a first person view as if you would say Counter-Strike or any fps game.

You don't get unlimited ammo so you can't just go around gun blazing. Your team mates can get grabbed by these zombies and monsters. If they get grabbed you can help them by say killing the monster, or by pulling them up ledges etc..

The great thing about the game is, you can play as the monsters. So you have 4 humans as the survivors and 4 humans playing as the various monsters. Which all have varying abilities. Like for example a hunter can jump really high and fly at you pinning you down while he rips you apart with his claws. If the monsters stop the survivors from reaching a certain point i.e say an airport then they win. If the survivors get to that point then they win.

You take it in turns to be each side.

So it is like Resident Evil in that you have to stay alive. Best way to describe it really is imagine the scary level in Half Life 2. It is a bit like that but with zombies.

Nah it's cool on its own too. It has a single player game to it too. Just the point of the single player is to do campaigns from just the humans perspectives. It is really good. If you like that then you might try the online co-op and find you like it too. Don't need to have friends as it will just bung you with 3 random other people.

Playing it alone is fine. It is definitely geared towards multiplayer but the stand alone scenarios work brilliantly and are what I'm referring to by replaying them over and over. I can't get enough.

There are 4 missions, each with 5 levels, and you can select 1 of 4 players to be and choose one of 4 difficulties to attempt it on. That's 64 different ways to play 20 different levels and the AI means that the same zombies aren't in the same place each time.

It's better than I made it sound I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been playing it on steam, it's good.

Nothing really changes from the original, melee weapons do add the rather annoying question of "Do I want a pistol or a baseball bat", the latter usually wins in my case. Handy in crowded situations.

Seems to be a bit harder than the original. I'm playing on expert, online with friends, and we have completed a total of one campaign, and it took us 2 and a bit hours.

The new special infected slip into the frame nicely, apart from the Jockey. The Jockey is this little weasel/chimp/man like monstrosity whose bark is severely worse than his bite. His main attack is just to jump on players backs and lean them into danger. His hits while riding you (1 every 3 seconds) take off 10hp I think. That's less than a regular zombie does on expert. I played versus earlier, and was having fun as every zombie apart from this one. The best tactic to play with him is to just slash people using secondary attack, but it feels cheap to do so.

And also, unfortunately, your team-mates AI (if you don't have enough friends about at the time), is just dire. Ellis (who you will either love with his inane comments or hate him) was being controlled by the computer on 'Hard Rain', me and my other friends had just fought of tonnes of zombie hordes, but the boat had arrived and we all jumped on deck. Ellis however, was fighting zombies and didn't come to us. A tank then appeared and got onto the deck, and in one swift lash of his fist, knocked us all dead into the ocean. Not a gamebreaker, but you will definitely notice it.