UKIP candidate says Romanians are associated with crime....

Hockey_saint

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10222551.Romanians__associated_with_crime__says_UKIP_candidate/

As I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that went on our most recent UEFA tour of Romania, I find it frankly disgusting because if you did, you know that it's such a blanket statement and that a lot of the crime is commited by Roma (Gypsy) street gangs and not the majority of Romanians themselves.

But then, I'd expect this from the rejected right of the Conservatives. I'm all for migration myself; it's a good thing but we do need to make sure there is parity throughout the union in working wage.

Julian Clegg from Solent was trying to get a non europe answer from her and she came streight back about the NHS and european health tourists.

I found my self shouting at my radio!

Looks like scare story's is what they are about rather than talk about their policy's.they really are a rabble she sounds like a BNP idiot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Went to Romania three years ago on a business trip. Had my laptop stolen (from my hotel room).

But you can't blame an entire nation for something like that. Just as likely to get stolen here.

That said however I am against them coming here. Thats nothing to do with them being thieves or gypo's. It is because as an Island nation with the current infrastructure we have we are already struggling. We can't deal with our own problems let alone another countries.

We need to become a lot stricter with imigration Oz style.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10222551.Romanians__associated_with_crime__says_UKIP_candidate/

As I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that went on our most recent UEFA tour of Romania, I find it frankly disgusting because if you did, you know that it's such a blanket statement and that a lot of the crime is commited by Roma (Gypsy) street gangs and not the majority of Romanians themselves.

But then, I'd expect this from the rejected right of the Conservatives. I'm all for migration myself; it's a good thing but we do need to make sure there is parity throughout the union in working wage.

not to put too fine a point on it but Romania has serious problems with organised crime so the UKIP might well be right in it's assertions. Whether it can by attributed to migrant Romanians is something else completely. I know we have had a serious ministerial enquiry in France and the result was not let's say very flattering for Romania and it's nationals.

you just need to look for data on organised credit card fraud and in particular automatic teller fraud. Most of it has been traced back to just 1 small town in Romania.

not to put too fine a point on it but Romania has serious problems with organised crime so the UKIP might well be right in it's assertions. Whether it can by attributed to migrant Romanians is something else completely. I know we have had a serious ministerial enquiry in France and the result was not let's say very flattering for Romania and it's nationals.

you just need to look for data on organised credit card fraud and in particular automatic teller fraud. Most of it has been traced back to just 1 small town in Romania.

and crimes against beef

"I'm all for migration myself; it's a good thing but we do need to make sure there is parity throughout the union in working wage."

Do you really think there are enough jobs?

Are you retired?

I found the story about German people retiring to Eastern European rest homes interesting, precisely because of the disparities in incomes.

"I'm all for migration myself; it's a good thing but we do need to make sure there is parity throughout the union in working wage."

Do you really think there are enough jobs?

Are you retired?

I'm not retired no. I believe that yes, the infrastructure needs to be improved but with more people comes more jobs and more need for jobs. Also, the good thing about a continental federal union is that if we don't like it here we can move about as we wish and on this front yes, I this parity needs to be aimed towards.

Also, "there are no jobs" is an excuse which I think is a very easy thing to say.

I'm not retired no. I believe that yes, the infrastructure needs to be improved but with more people comes more jobs and more need for jobs. Also, the good thing about a continental federal union is that if we don't like it here we can move about as we wish and on this front yes, I this parity needs to be aimed towards.

Also, "there are no jobs" is an excuse which I think is a very easy thing to say.

but isnt there over 2 million people unemployed now..?

I found the story about German people retiring to Eastern European rest homes interesting, precisely because of the disparities in incomes.

See, it does work both ways. It's the only way ahead I'm afraid, we cant keep digging our head in the sand with this little islander mentality I'm afraid.

Exactly how many people were unemployed before the Tories got in in 1979.....enough for Saatchi & Saatchi's famous "Labour isn't working" slogan.

not too fussed what happend 35 years ago..I care about now really..I was not even alive in 1979..I am today...

the fact is, there are well over 2 million people unemployed..how you go about solving that by letting anyone come here is insane....if you want these people to work that is

not too fussed what happend 35 years ago..I care about now really..I was not even alive in 1979..I am today...

the fact is, there are well over 2 million people unemployed..how you go about solving that by letting anyone come here is insane....if you want these people to work that is

Allow them to move about the union into parts with high employment. Simple.

See, it does work both ways. It's the only way ahead I'm afraid, we cant keep digging our head in the sand with this little islander mentality I'm afraid.

Doesn't really work at all. These people don't want to leave Germany. It's an economic choice that many of their kids make.

You're not too fussed about anything, yet write about it anyway.

Ignore history at your peril, kid. We're not some super-evolved branch of humanity. We're capable of making all the same mistakes as our ancestors as well as entirely new calamities.

You're not too fussed about anything, yet write about it anyway.

Ignore history at your peril, kid. We're not some super-evolved branch of humanity. We're capable of making all the same mistakes as our ancestors as well as entirely new calamities.

My point was that it peobably got a lot worse after that as well, what with Thatcher destroying the mining industry and well as most other nationalised industries and that it has probably never gone away so it's not a "Now" issue at all.

To be fair on the Steau trip a couple of my mates got mugged by a Police officer and another got threatened by a drug-dealer, the hotel was run by the mafia and the concierge was a pimp.

What she says is 100% correct.

My point was that it peobably got a lot worse after that as well, what with Thatcher destroying the mining industry and well as most other nationalised industries and that it has probably never gone away so it's not a "Now" issue at all.

The mining industry was destroyed by Arthur Scargill. The British automobile and shipbuilding industries were similarly destroyed by trade union restrictive practices, high wage demands and strikes making us less competitive against our competitors.

But you go ahead and believe it was that nasty Mrs Thatcher if it comforts you.

I recently went to Bucharest for my firm, and all i can say i felt safer walking past Farton Park on a match day in a saints shirt. I was propositioned about 15 times in 3 days, and in front of police. Offered drugs every day, even in my hotel!! Needless to say, my laptop and such like were locked away. And not left in my room. Even the people we came to see, coyly tried to bribe us FFS. The place is a F*ckin hovel, and on the same level as Albania. NO! KEEP THEM OUT!!!

Okay Im bing regionalist now. How come we keep getting potential politicians standing for elections in Hampshire when they have nothing to do with the area. ?

Surely someone from the arae could stand in the elction instead of all these wannabe politicians being bussed in from other areas>

Romanians are one thing but none local folk standing for elections is not on.

The mining industry was destroyed by Arthur Scargill. The British automobile and shipbuilding industries were similarly destroyed by trade union restrictive practices, high wage demands and strikes making us less competitive against our competitors.

Scargill and the trade unions don't make the decision to close down the mines so yep, I will thanks....her and her cronies.

rubbish germany paid higher wages in the car industry and our engineering industry was destroyed by thatchers nasty party .the fact was we had a very overvalued pound milton friedman ideology while they lined the pockets of the bankers and their ilk greed is good culture,.thank god cameron is trying to rebalance the economy.i despair how the oil money of that decade was wasted instead of modernising our infrastructure. scargill was anut case but coal has had its day and trade unions did have some bad practises butthat does not take away that there were major policy failings in the early 80s. Edited by solentstars

Naturally I'm not about to revise my opinion because of anything said by Hockey_saint and solentstars. I lived through that period and well remember the miners' strike and Red Robbo's strikes decimating the British Car industry because of restrictive Union practices. I also clearly remember the cosy chats over beer and sandwiches that Harold Wilson had with the Union leaders who were the Labour Party's paymasters. And talking about the value of the pound, what about Wilson's devaluation of it and the effect that inflation of 25/27% had on the economy? Probably a bit before your time.

Thatcher destroying the mining industry

Incorrect.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_7950000/newsid_7952300/7952388.stm

The miners' strike was an epic industrial dispute, which left the coal industry bloodied and broken. But its output dropped before the Iron Lady became PM

It's the 25th anniversary of the 1984 miners' strike, an event that's become a political epoch, remembered as knock-down fight to the finish, Thatcher v Scargill.

So here's a puzzle.

Each of the four lines in the chart below shows UK mining output over four 11-year periods: 11 years before Margaret Thatcher; 11 years after; 11 year of New Labour; and 11 years of Thatcher herself.

_45581766_uk_mining_11year466.gif

Note that the chart smoothes out the strikes of 1972, 74 and 84 to make clearer the general trends.

Surprised? I was. The story I thought I knew was that the Prime Minister's defeat of Arthur Scargill and the miners led uniquely to the devastation/streamlining (delete according to political preference) of the industry in a resolute search for market efficiency/settling of scores (ditto).

Once powerful enough to bring down a government, as a political force the miners were humbled by the Iron Lady.

All of which might or might not be true. We leave it to our readers to judge. But the figures aren't exactly a perfect fit for either side in the fatal-confrontation story.

How do we interpret this data?

The decline in output, in percentages:

• 11 years of Thatcher: 33%
  • 11 years before Thatcher: 45%
  • 11 years after Thatcher (Major and Blair): 72%
  • 11 years of New Labour (Blair and Brown): 64%

Here's the whole period as recorded in the Office for National Statistics production industries data, from just before the peak in post-war output in the mid-1950s until 2008 (2003 = 100). Again, the strike years of 1972, 74 and 84 have been smoothed because they cause a big, one-year drop in the size of the industry, and we want to see the trend of permanent change, not temporary change.

_45581765_uk_mining48_08_466.gif

The miners are often said to have ended the Heath government in 1974, and used their muscle to force higher wages. But is that the best measure of their power when they had been unable to prevent their industry halving in 15 years - before Margaret Thatcher even took office?

Of course, there are other ways to measure an industry than output: the number of miners employed, for example. But that chart looks much like this one. Half a million mining jobs were lost in the 30 years before Mrs Thatcher, 70% of the workforce. How radically different to what went before was the challenge from Mrs Thatcher herself?

We could also look (see last week's column on beer and bacon ) at the absolute numbers, not just the percentage changes in output. This shows that, under Mrs Thatcher, output fell by roughly 30m tons compared with a fall of about 50m tons in the period before, about 60m in the period after, and about 30m in the past 11 years, when there wasn't much left to lose.

The steepest falls were arguably the 1960s and early 1990s during privatisation. It could be said Thatcher's legacy made privatisation possible, though even here it might be argued this simply quickened a trend that soon slowed again and returned to normal - if we can call such a 50-year collapse "normal".

It's true there are also other ways to measure the impact of an event than with statistics. Sometimes it's the psychological change that matters.

So none of this is to suggest that the miners' strike wasn't a dramatic political moment, terrible for many who endured it, and a powerful influence on the trade unions, for example. Those arguments could still be made.

But as the battle enters folklore, have we characterised properly the landscape in which it was fought, both before and after?

Naturally I'm not about to revise my opinion because of anything said by Hockey_saint and solentstars. I lived through that period and well remember the miners' strike and Red Robbo's strikes decimating the British Car industry because of restrictive Union practices. I also clearly remember the cosy chats over beer and sandwiches that Harold Wilson had with the Union leaders who were the Labour Party's paymasters. And talking about the value of the pound, what about Wilson's devaluation of it and the effect that inflation of 25/27% had on the economy? Probably a bit before your time.

Me too. These youngsters have some funny ideas about what life was like in those days. Oh, and as an aside I see that Arthur Scargill's still doing alright out of the miners' union these days.

As far as I can see, nowhere in that article does she say that all Romanians are associated with crime.

Come on we all know why she brought that up .targeting the right wingTory voters and the elderly with scare stories. Apart from the leader of ukip the rest of his party are a rabble and a laughing stock.

Come on we all know why she brought that up .targeting the right wingTory voters and the elderly with scare stories. Apart from the leader of ukip the rest of his party are a rabble and a laughing stock.

I can find no fault in the actual quotes from the article which is what I tend to base my opinion on rather than the prejudice.

Sorry, if we dont like it in our own Country we can move on? Thats the reverse of what the fascists speak. Great idea that.

The milk snatcher was a harridan, it wasn't Thatcher buying smoking Polish coal on the cheap?

Restictive practices? What better working conditions? Backward Wes very backward, how come France who have far more powerful Unions have not suffered the same fate we have? Because they respect their Unions, we are a halfway house between France and the States.

Exactly how many people were unemployed before the Tories got in in 1979.....enough for Saatchi & Saatchi's famous "Labour isn't working" slogan.

Yes, but we had 56 million in the country then, now we have 60 million.

Plus we no longer recognise those under 18 in the stats, nor those on long term disability, so the real number is far, far higher.

The milk snatcher was a harridan, it wasn't Thatcher buying smoking Polish coal on the cheap?

Restictive practices? What better working conditions? Backward Wes very backward, how come France who have far more powerful Unions have not suffered the same fate we have? Because they respect their Unions, we are a halfway house between France and the States.

You really don't have a clue about the working practices of the time. Today's working environment is totally different from the 1970s.

You really don't have a clue about the working practices of the time. Today's working environment is totally different from the 1970s.

I dont need to, the principle of the Union is to represent the worker and better their conditions, quote me restrictive Union practices? Work to rule, 3 day week? Our Unions have never been as powerful or as militant as our European neighbours. Just scaremongering by the right who love to kick the working man.

I dont need to, the principle of the Union is to represent the worker and better their conditions, quote me restrictive Union practices? Work to rule, 3 day week? Our Unions have never been as powerful or as militant as our European neighbours. Just scaremongering by the right who love to kick the working man.
i agree and only the die hard buffoons who still thinks she walks on water still support her because i expect they lined their pockets at the time.

Thatcher came to power in May 1979 after a poster campaign by Saatchi & Saatchi showing a huge line of jobless benefit claimants and in bold lettering it said "LABOUR IS'NT WORKING. That was when one million people were claiming unemployment benefit. Thatcher increased that number to 3.5 million, after selling off the countries silver (all the utility companies and a lot more besides). Workers were earning as little as £1 per hour and were forced to work 60 or more hours per week or face the sack. There was no minimum wage or working time directive during her term of office.

She closed down most manufacturing by having away overvalued exchange rate and increased interest rates to 17%. People were encouraged to buy their council homes and then lost them because the value of their home fell to less than the mortgage they took out when they bought it, (negative equity) and the fact this country was self sufficent in oil which was wasted by her term in office and it was only the falklands war which saved her bacon at the time for being thrown out of office.

No, it wasn't like that at all. Productivity was woeful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_practices