Anyone had an arthroscopy?

Dimond Geezer

I'm guessing that a large proportion of contributors to this fine forum have regularly played football, and that a proportion of those have had problems with their knees, possibly resulting in a bit of key-hole. I'm having surgery on one of my knees in a couple of weeks, apparently my cartilage needs a scrape & polish, and would welcome any advice.

What I'd like to know is how long afterwards will it take for me to get mobile (I believe I'll have crutches), are stairs manageable, and how long before I can drive again?

Cheers,

DG

depends what they do - just because it is 'keyhole' doesn't make the surgery done any less traumatic, so the recovery time is dependant on what is done and TBH they won't know that fully until they are in there.

Some surgeons giv ethe impression that it is just a 'little op' and you will be up and about in no time but that isn't my experience of it, everyone is different in their recovery times and things get complicated by infections etc but 2-3 weeks before mobile and really 6-8 weeks before you are starting to feel normal again.

It also depends on wht demands you are putting n your knee day to day as well TBH, if you are a manual labourer clearly its a different situation to being at a desk job

Sorry to be vague but its actually quite a difficult question to answer

Depends very much what they Find . first one I had I was out running two weeks later. but could be upto 6 weeks depends on the individual , how determined you are to get back to fitness or if you are a potato couch.

Also I was on crutches for two weeks . a couple of days non weghtbearing and the other days for support

I forgot you have to wear compression bandages for two weeks . Dead sexy if your a woman

Anyway hope the following helps

You will need to rest until the effects of the anaesthetic have passed. It may take several hours before the feeling comes back into your knee. Take special care not to bump or knock the area.

You may need pain relief to help with any discomfort as the anaesthetic wears off.

You will usually be able to go home when you feel ready.

You will need to arrange for someone to drive you home. You should try to have a friend or relative stay with you for the first 24 hours.

Your nurse will give you some advice about caring for your healing wounds before you go home. You may be given a date for a follow-up appointment. A physiotherapist should also visit you to help get your joint moving and discuss exercising at home.

The length of time your dissolvable stitches will take to disappear depends on what type you have. However, for this procedure they should usually disappear in about six weeks. Non-dissolvable stitches are removed 10 to 14 days after surgery.

Recovering from knee arthroscopy If you need pain relief, you can take over-the-counter painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen. Always read the patient information that comes with your medicine and if you have any questions, ask your pharmacist for advice.

General anaesthesia temporarily affects your co-ordination and reasoning skills, so you must not drive, drink alcohol, operate machinery or sign legal documents for 24 hours afterwards. If you're in any doubt about driving, contact your motor insurer so that you're aware of their recommendations, and always follow your surgeon’s advice.

Some people may have to wear special pads, attached to an intermittent compression pump, on their lower legs. The pump inflates the pads and encourages healthy blood flow in your legs and helps to prevent DVT.

You may also be wearing compression stockings on your unaffected leg to help maintain circulation.

You will have a dressing and an elasticated bandage over your knee joint. These apply pressure to assist with healing. You need to keep your knee clean and dry for about one to two weeks. You should use waterproof plasters over your healing wounds when you take a shower and don't soak your knee in the bath until the cuts are fully healed.

Continue with the exercises recommended by your physiotherapist, as they will help to improve your knee movement and strength.

Your knee joint is likely to feel sore and swollen for at least a week. This can last longer if you have arthritis. Try to keep your leg raised on a chair or footstool when you're resting. You should apply a cold compress such as ice or a bag of frozen peas, wrapped in a towel, to help reduce swelling and bruising. Don’t apply ice directly to your skin as it can damage your skin.

Follow your surgeon's advice about driving. You shouldn't drive until you're confident that you could perform an emergency stop without discomfort. This is usually about one to three weeks after your operation.

Your recovery time will depend on what, if any, treatment your surgeon performs on your knee joint. You should be able to resume your usual activities after six to eight weeks depending on the severity of your knee problems and your level of fitness.

I had one in 2007. I think I was back on my feet the same day, overnight in hospital, no crutches. Because I was a pilot I was given three weeks before flying and was cleared by the surgeon contacting the CAA examiner. I had a realignment of the knee, the patella trimmed where it was catching, a cleanout etc. Just two small holes, hardly visible. I think I was back playing golf within a couple of weeks and didn't miss a game at SMS. It certainly made a significant improvement, not perfect but comfortable without pain.

I have had 2 ACLU ops.just back from skiing.knees will never be the same and have to wear a support brace when doing sports.Brilliant job the guys did at the general and most of us that have had serious knee problems would never lead a normal life without the fantastic surgeons we have now. When I snapped my knee it was without doubt the most pain I have ever had.

Thanks guys, very informative, especially Viking Warrior. My op is 4 days before the QPR match, SFC have swapped my usual seat for a front row one, so I wont have any stairs to climb. I'm also supposed to be going to a gig that night, but I may give that a miss.

I'm hoping this op will improve my running performance, I can only go about 2-3 miles without it hurting for a week or so afterwards, not great traing for the GSR.

Had one done in October - had a couple of complication (nicked vein in knee) was diving within 4 weeks and the idea was to go skinng within 12 weeks. Unfortunately had a secondary inflammation which meant a long period of rest and resulting in muscle degradation in thigh therefore no skiing. Leg is on the mend again so it does get better in the end.

My advice is to do the physio routines religously - I was even doing it in my office much to the mirth and merriment of my staff - but it is worth it

Had both knees done 2 yrs ago - had the op pre Christmas so sat on my arse for three weeks and got waited on by family so great! Back running within 3 months after physio sessions. My advice is listen to the physio when you are doing rehab - strengthening the knees back up after the op, and the subsequent inactivity is key to a healty recovery. Also I warn you that post op most knees are never the same. There is evidence that any invasive joint surgery will heighten the chance of arthritic issues in later life - it is just the nature of the bodies immune system etc

Anyway I am running 10k's regularly and enjoying that, but I have stopped playing footy at the age of 40 as the twisting and sudden impact is just too painful still....The op itself is no problem, and I was mobile (all be it with crutches) the evening after....

I had one done on my right knee a few years ago (wear and tear from dancing). It was just a clean and tidy up of the cartilege. I was in overnight and discharged in plaster the next day. Within a week the plaster was changed for one that I could zip on and off (had a special name but I can't remember it). This meant I was able to teach dance again with the zip up plaster on about 10 days after the op, although I had to be driven to and from my classes.

If it's a simple scrape and trim, the after-effects aren't too bad at all.

I had one done on my right knee a few years ago (wear and tear from dancing). It was just a clean and tidy up of the cartilege. I was in overnight and discharged in plaster the next day. Within a week the plaster was changed for one that I could zip on and off (had a special name but I can't remember it). This meant I was able to teach dance again with the zip up plaster on about 10 days after the op, although I had to be driven to and from my classes.

If it's a simple scrape and trim, the after-effects aren't too bad at all.

I never thought I'd be in plaster, I'm not too happy about that.

Had one knee dine a few years back. 6 weeks on crutches; only felt confident swimming after 6 months; didn't manage to run in the first year. No idea why, but it seemed to knock me sideways, for far longer than I'd anticipated.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Have had 5....had loads of issues with my knees they now get you up and walking same day.

Was able to drive after 2 weeks and normally advice is if you can do an emergency stop then you can drive.

As said above listen to your physio and do the excercises given - try building up leg muscles first try straight leg lifts.

Step ups are good as well.

Good luck

Have had 5....had loads of issues with my knees they now get you up and walking same day.

Was able to drive after 2 weeks and normally advice is if you can do an emergency stop then you can drive.

As said above listen to your physio and do the excercises given - try building up leg muscles first try straight leg lifts.

Step ups are good as well.

Good luck

But do them slowly and precisely. Don't just chuck your leg up in the air. Sit on a flat surface, flex your foot really hard so that your heel lifts off the surface. This will enable you to pull up your quadruceps and tighten it. Then lift the leg and hold it up in the air and straight for about 5 seconds before lowering it slowly. Then slowly release the tension in the quad and then the foot. Repeat but not too many times in one session.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I seem to remember being given the choice between local anaesthetic and general anaesthetic. The doctor invited me to follow the surgery on a monitor. I chose general anaesthetic instead...

However, that choice would influence how much time is needed for recovery...